Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Shane

New Carper question

Hey all, Shane here from London, Ontario. I recently have been using an inline method feeder 3oz, setup as a bolt rig. The rig works great but the only issues that i have been experiencing are while fighting the fish. i seem to consistently feel like the line is being pulled from snags on the bottom while im fighting a carp on the line. It feels more like the method feeder is hitting the rocks or bottom of the river while the fish is running / fighting. and in some cases it catches pretty good, causing a break off. Just wondering if there is any solution to help prevent this from happening? i did put a small split lead about 12 inches above the method lead to prevent it from sliding down to far on my line while fighting a fish, which seemed to help, but did not fix the issue. Or is it a fairly common issue while fishing with a heavier method feeder / bolt rig setup?

Fact is, they're smart and they know where the weed beds are and they'll go right in there and try to break off.  We used to fish near a bouy on a cable about 100 yds out and the first order of business when getting a fish was to steer them away before they could wrap around it, and then try to keep them over top of 50 yards of weeds.  At one river swim there was a submerged tree stump near the bank, and almost every carp headed for it when hooked.  When it isn't all open spaces and clean water it helps to know what your tackle can handle, and fight them.  This is where a sticking drag will lose you a fish.

On 28/07/2020 at 16:24, Shane said:

Hey all, Shane here from London, Ontario. I recently have been using an inline method feeder 3oz, setup as a bolt rig. The rig works great but the only issues that i have been experiencing are while fighting the fish. i seem to consistently feel like the line is being pulled from snags on the bottom while im fighting a carp on the line. It feels more like the method feeder is hitting the rocks or bottom of the river while the fish is running / fighting. and in some cases it catches pretty good, causing a break off. Just wondering if there is any solution to help prevent this from happening? i did put a small split lead about 12 inches above the method lead to prevent it from sliding down to far on my line while fighting a fish, which seemed to help, but did not fix the issue. Or is it a fairly common issue while fishing with a heavier method feeder / bolt rig setup?

Please remove that split shot it can lead to tethering fish 

you may be better using stronger line or a rubbing leader and buy/make some cheap leads and use a lead clip and let the lead drop off to save it getting caught in the rocks. And then you can mould your feed around the lead instead

Edited by framey