I used to regularly fish a little farm pond 25-30 years ago, it was one of the places I really got the bug, stacked full of little ones but occasionally when it was getting dark the bigger ones would creep round the edge and you may get a chance.

I noticed then that storms much like the ones we are getting now were the times the big ones slipped up. one evening in a storm I got a 12lber massive at the time and a vole ran across my foot scared the life out of me 😂

and another time I caught a 17lber pond record and probably still to this day the happiest moments in fishing were at that little pond,such exciting and fun fishing. it could be electric peering over the edge to see if your free lined dog biscuit was going to be taken by a monster and especially in storms when the mood really changed, and you could almost smell the big ones coming 😬😬😬😬😬

It's a very dangerous time of year for carp. Algae blooms are at their worst on many waters and these electrical thunderstorms present a very real risk of disastrous algae/oxygen crash.

I know of two waters that have suffered a complete fish kill already this year, including (for anyone that's read Terry's books) the Big S which lost everything just a couple of weeks ago.

The storms look wicked and, assuming there are no issues with dissolved oxygen, they can be awesome for fishing. But it's very important to keep a close eye on the behaviour of the carp to determine whether any oxygen issues are setting in.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

It's a very dangerous time of year for carp. Algae blooms are at their worst on many waters and these electrical thunderstorms present a very real risk of disastrous algae/oxygen crash.

I know of two waters that have suffered a complete fish kill already this year, including (for anyone that's read Terry's books) the Big S which lost everything just a couple of weeks ago.

The storms look wicked and, assuming there are no issues with dissolved oxygen, they can be awesome for fishing. But it's very important to keep a close eye on the behaviour of the carp to determine whether any oxygen issues are setting in.

This is what cost us a few fish a couple of years ago, including one of the bigger residents. blooming awful. A top of the range aeration system was installed shortly after. One of the first signs that the fish are in trouble is them lethargically swimming around gasping for air. Very sad to see 

8 hours ago, yonny said:

It's interesting that low pressure systems have the ability to suck dissolved oxygen out of a body of water . & yet we all know how good it can fish , so are they hitting the feed hard before any change in DO levels caused by the low pressure  .... basically filling there boots while they can before any drop in DO .  

12 hours ago, smufter said:

Love this.....absolutely mental. 😁

Wow... had a similar tho not as bad as that vid. Me and my mate fishing Oxlease lake the top end at the back of the island hottest day of the year muggy no wind. Then out of the blue a wind picks up sky goes black thunder right overhead lightning. Nx thing  I hear is my mate shouting let me in ! Turns out branches were falling into his  swim and on his bivvy no damage but we were like kids screaming and laughing. Felt sorry for the anglers facing into the storm. 

• 5 weeks later...

i had a bad one once was doing a 48 hour session at the local had already done like 30 hours blank when early hours of my last night got hit by the biggest hunder and lightening storm iv ever experienced it literally shoot the bivvie and us quite severely although my son slept through the lot and my missus was hanging onto me for dear life lol when low and behold my alarms went screaming off tbh i know it was stupid and i didnt hesistate thought this is my moment to save a blank there i am 3am thunder and lightening playing a carp rod boxers only absolutely soaking with the missus telling me what a stupid irrisponsible twot i am needless to say though as is always the case with her once it was safely on the bank i was out of the dog house lol