Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
moore82

Can you get worse

Recommended Posts

Here's a question. Do you think you can get worse at fishing?

I think back to fishing as a teenager and even into my 20's and I found catching carp relatively easy, that may sound arrogant but to be blunt, I did. My bait worked, my rigs worked, I read the water well and caught fish, simple as. These days I feel like I know more about the sport, my rigs are tidier, my tackle is more appropriate, my bait is better and fresher yet 9 times out of 10 I blank. Tried and tested methods in productive swims and nothing. 

I certainly feel different nowadays, lacking confidence, probably over thinking things, putting pressure on myself. I find the balancing act of parenting, work, marriage, schooling, etc .... very hard which no doubt adds to it all also.

If I'm honest I'm not really enjoying fishing at present, I primary go to catch fish, so blank after blank is just rubbish.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions welcome .

Cheers

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi mate 

I've been down the Overthinking rabbit hole quite often, it's quite easy to do tbh, thing is nowadays there is so much choice with bait, rigs etc it's quite easy to tie yourself up in knots, 

I've really tried to keep it simple this year and be confident, I am also married with kids etc and only tend to  fish quick overnighters, so I've found it's best to try and stack the odds in my favour as much as possible, pre baiting was successful and I've done well using pva bags this year, I started washing my baits out also with water and a hydro I found this doesn't hurt as it makes them softer so they will eat them quicker, 

My advice would be to just give yourself any advantages you can, be alert, be active, watch the water for clues, get yourself prepped and ready before you get to the bank, spend time looking for clues, but the most important one RELAX AND ENJOY IT, IT'S A HOBBY, don't think you've failed because of a blank or two leave that til the end of the year and then assess your results, 

Tight lines 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the exact same boat as Elmo, married, kid (s), I say kids as the dog counts as 1 now. 

I went on a 16month blanking spree once, yes fishing all waters, trying all Baits. 

Like previous comments, now I keep it simple on all waters. 

Standard lead clip or running rig setup... Only 2 rigs I use, Ronnie rig (pop ups) and combi link rig (bottom or Wafters). 

Only the 1 bait now, Sticky Manilla. 

Never prebaited, just a pva mesh bag on every recast, which is now always clipped to a spot I'm fishing. 

I think so far this year I've a handfull only of blanks, but I tend to just turn up and enjoy, if I catch its a bonus. 

The old saying, It's Fishing not Catching. 

All the post Covid pressure won't help and the amount of bait going in now. 

But it Will come, effort = reward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Carp.com

Don't over think! 

Fish waters or a water where you will catch. I know that sounds obvious, but if you are going to sit it out for one big fish then you may well be sitting out and blanking for a long time. You may need to lower your expectations, you aren't going to catch 20 after 20, you may be having to fish for single figure fish. 

 

Don't 'faff' with rigs, or bait. A knotless knot (possibly line aligned) rig catches most fish over the latest fashionable rig. 

Fish your bait to catch, get the carp feeding on it. That may be boilies, or boilies over groundbait or particles. 

 

The more you pressure yourself, the harder it gets, the more you go round in circles. 

Fish to your strengths and find the fish. Don't just turn up and fish the last known producing swim, unless you are sure the fish are there. 

Don't necessarily pile the bait in, forget piling your spod mix in, a single bait or stringer quietly put in often produces more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm pretty much doing everything you've suggested, which is how I've carp fished for the best part of 20 years on and off. Simple mono hook lengths with running leads or simple semi fixed inline leads with a supple kryston braided hook length. Caught literally 100's of carp fishing this way, small PVA mesh / bags, stringers, etc... Never been one for piling bait in, never had the money to be honest. Used to always make my own baits but most readymade baits these days seem to work for most and given my limited time suit my style of fishing, i.e short 5-6 hour sessions, mainly first light through to early pm. Odd thing is I'm fishing lakes that would usually produce up to 10 carp a session but now I'm busting a gut to catch 2 or 3 during the whole year. Seem to catch a decent amount of bream so know the business end works, when it's needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, moore82 said:

Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm pretty much doing everything you've suggested, which is how I've carp fished for the best part of 20 years on and off. Simple mono hook lengths with running leads or simple semi fixed inline leads with a supple kryston braided hook length. Caught literally 100's of carp fishing this way, small PVA mesh / bags, stringers, etc... Never been one for piling bait in, never had the money to be honest. Used to always make my own baits but most readymade baits these days seem to work for most and given my limited time suit my style of fishing, i.e short 5-6 hour sessions, mainly first light through to early pm. Odd thing is I'm fishing lakes that would usually produce up to 10 carp a session but now I'm busting a gut to catch 2 or 3 during the whole year. Seem to catch a decent amount of bream so know the business end works, when it's needed. 

Are other people catching while you are there? Maybe they are feeding at other times of the day,

Also do you feel like you should be catching but aren't I mean like fish on the spots ? That could mean you are getting done, maybe have a look at a couple of new rigs to play with, are your hooks sharp? 

Perhaps you need to start doing things a little different from the rest, you say that other peoples baits are working for most, you perhaps need to think about getting your bait to work for you, I should think a lot of people using ready made baits are tinkering with them a bit nowadays, glugging etc, if most people are using bags they may shy away from little clumps of bait, look at what the others are doing and maybe just do the opposite,

if you can pre bait but think it's the cost that will put you off, 25kg of pellets £33 or vitalin £17 for 15kg or pigeon Conditioner or particles can be cheap 20kg for under £20 usually, for me if you can this will still be a good cheap way to establish a spot, you won't need loads now but a few good handfuls regularly in the right spot will pay dividends, or otherwise just think about how you can maximise your chances, 

I am quite the opposite of you though, I don't feel confident unless I've got some bait on the spot, I always want them to get preoccupied and slip up. 

Hope this helps 

Elmo  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, moore82 said:

Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm pretty much doing everything you've suggested, which is how I've carp fished for the best part of 20 years on and off. Simple mono hook lengths with running leads or simple semi fixed inline leads with a supple kryston braided hook length. Caught literally 100's of carp fishing this way, small PVA mesh / bags, stringers, etc... Never been one for piling bait in, never had the money to be honest. Used to always make my own baits but most readymade baits these days seem to work for most and given my limited time suit my style of fishing, i.e short 5-6 hour sessions, mainly first light through to early pm. Odd thing is I'm fishing lakes that would usually produce up to 10 carp a session but now I'm busting a gut to catch 2 or 3 during the whole year. Seem to catch a decent amount of bream so know the business end works, when it's needed. 

It’s been a crazy year for fishing don’t beat yourself up 

Link to post
Share on other sites

After lock down, the banks have been busier than ever as people made up for lost time. Chuck in the "French" brigade who couldn't go so stayed closer to home and those on furlough who have time on their hands and it's obvious why the banks are busier. Until recently Linear was fully occupied most days with only a few swims on Hardwick/Smiths going.

https://www.linear-fisheries.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.start

The fish are being constantly fed and on their guard all the time and it's not too surprising that things are getting harder.

The late autumn period should see most "fairweathers" hanging up the rods and so the lakes should get quieter but that coupled with decreasing temperatures will reduce the fishes appetite. Watching the weather forecast and getting out when their is a warm and wet spell after a colder period will always pay dividends.

Back to your original question, I don't think you get worse (but I used to get more tangles on June the 16th than the rest of the season put together!) but I think the fish are definitely getting more wary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

went down that rabbit hole a few years ago... went off on a tangent and went back to old school methods and baits, freelined prawns, beans, pulses, etc... doing summat different kick-started my catch results.... I think fish wise up to the same old rigs, same old, methods same old baits, so I tried stuff that was outta left field... worked for me...

 

Too many folks rock up to a water  and chuck out 2 or 3 rods, (one in the margins one on the island and one in open water) with 30 baits round each one (sound familiar...?) especially on commercial waters... ask yourself what did the last angler in that swim hoof into the water...???

 

I ignored the well flattened bare "flier" swims and dropped into overgrown jungle swims and found fish and poked a rod into a spot with a bit of bait.... you'd be surprised what comes out 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can go backwards in some ways.

I fished a local pit and had a few good fish to begin with, then a savage run of blanks before I eventually realised I'd become a clone of the regulars, baiting heavily with the spod, looking to get in certain areas etc etc

Quite why I looked up to and copied anglers who were not catching much is beyond me, as soon as I went back to doing my thing I started catching again and more than anyone.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 22:02, moore82 said:

short 5-6 hour sessions

I am also doing days only at the moment due to family commitments. Don't underestimate how much harder that makes it. If you're fishing for carp that have seen any pressure (i.e. almost all of them) they'll happily do the off if you show up and cast on their heads.

If you can get away with it, pre-baiting can have a huge influence on days only results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, yonny said:

I am also doing days only at the moment due to family commitments. Don't underestimate how much harder that makes it. If you're fishing for carp that have seen any pressure (i.e. almost all of them) they'll happily do the off if you show up and cast on their heads.

If you can get away with it, pre-baiting can have a huge influence on days only results.

Agreed. Pre-baiting is a massive edge; particularly to those living locally. But holding down a full-time job, a family and a round trip of 280 miles means its not a tactic I can realistically apply!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Agreed. Pre-baiting is a massive edge; particularly to those living locally. But holding down a full-time job, a family and a round trip of 280 miles means its not a tactic I can realistically apply!

For sure mate. The water I've been baiting is only half hour away but I'm out of the house working 6 am until 6 pm, then playing with the boy until bed time, then having tea, before I even set off to spod for an hour in the dark when I'm there. It's bloomin' hard work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2020 at 16:11, moore82 said:

Thanks all for your input - much appreciated! 

That is just the sort of post that makes me smile😊

I know we all have different waters and ideas or opinions, but it is definitely easier to catch fish on 'overstocked' or heavily stocked waters where the carp rely on the angler's baits than a sparsely stocked water rich in natural food where they may not see an angler from day to day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2020 at 12:58, moore82 said:

Here's a question. Do you think you can get worse at fishing?

I think back to fishing as a teenager and even into my 20's and I found catching carp relatively easy, that may sound arrogant but to be blunt, I did. My bait worked, my rigs worked, I read the water well and caught fish, simple as. These days I feel like I know more about the sport, my rigs are tidier, my tackle is more appropriate, my bait is better and fresher yet 9 times out of 10 I blank. Tried and tested methods in productive swims and nothing. 

I certainly feel different nowadays, lacking confidence, probably over thinking things, putting pressure on myself. I find the balancing act of parenting, work, marriage, schooling, etc .... very hard which no doubt adds to it all also.

If I'm honest I'm not really enjoying fishing at present, I primary go to catch fish, so blank after blank is just rubbish.

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions welcome .

Cheers

 

Ink mucka I myself like most the others here I’m married kids etc fishing is a hobby I’ve done a 2 yr blank and realised that I was overthinking things and stressing because I wasn’t catching  there was an old fella a few swims down that suffered a heart attack luckily an ambulance was going past near where we were he was saved but it made me realise that there’s enough stress in life we fish to enjoy Mother Nature and the surroundings we are in the peace an quiet    Just chill remember life is short   Don’t stress yourself it’s about being there

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2020 at 14:06, yonny said:

I am also doing days only at the moment due to family commitments. Don't underestimate how much harder that makes it. If you're fishing for carp that have seen any pressure (i.e. almost all of them) they'll happily do the off if you show up and cast on their heads.

If you can get away with it, pre-baiting can have a huge influence on days only results.

 

On 13/10/2020 at 15:06, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Agreed. Pre-baiting is a massive edge; particularly to those living locally. But holding down a full-time job, a family and a round trip of 280 miles means its not a tactic I can realistically apply!

 

On 13/10/2020 at 15:22, yonny said:

For sure mate. The water I've been baiting is only half hour away but I'm out of the house working 6 am until 6 pm, then playing with the boy until bed time, then having tea, before I even set off to spod for an hour in the dark when I'm there. It's bloomin' hard work.

For me even a 45minute drive before or after work can be a bit much with my shifts. My prebaiting for years has been put the last of my bait before I leave at the end of the weekly trip. 

For that reason it is nearly all just boilies, unless I have saved a bit of spod mix. 

13 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

Ink mucka I myself like most the others here I’m married kids etc fishing is a hobby I’ve done a 2 yr blank and realised that I was overthinking things and stressing because I wasn’t catching  there was an old fella a few swims down that suffered a heart attack luckily an ambulance was going past near where we were he was saved but it made me realise that there’s enough stress in life we fish to enjoy Mother Nature and the surroundings we are in the peace an quiet    Just chill remember life is short   Don’t stress yourself it’s about being there

At the same time we do all want to catch, even more so if the lake has special fish. 

I love the lake I'm on, some big commons, and still some uncaught fish, I would dearly love to put one or more of them in the landing net. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

 

 

For me even a 45minute drive before or after work can be a bit much with my shifts. My prebaiting for years has been put the last of my bait before I leave at the end of the weekly trip. 

For that reason it is nearly all just boilies, unless I have saved a bit of spod mix. 

At the same time we do all want to catch, even more so if the lake has special fish. 

I love the lake I'm on, some big commons, and still some uncaught fish, I would dearly love to put one or more of them in the landing net. 

Hi Nick I usually take extra bait so I can leave some when I go, an extra bucket would keep them fed and feeding for a few days maybe if it was a big bucket it may also [censored] up anyone else's chance in the swim you are baiting 😁 

I see pre baiting now as an essential part of fishing really, I can safely say its added 10 fish to my account so far this season so its been well worth it, 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say you can get worse at angling, way too many variations to ever be sure of anything, what can happen is a loss of interest or getting stuck doing the same all the time, you can get away with that on commy waters with enough fish in, at any time of year. For me, my best fishing comes from April through to August for carp  I struggle for what to do next after that, I think timing would be more critical than anything else from now till next spring, even that north easterly we had this week was cold. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

I wouldn't say you can get worse at angling, way too many variations to ever be sure of anything, what can happen is a loss of interest or getting stuck doing the same all the time, you can get away with that on commy waters with enough fish in, at any time of year. For me, my best fishing comes from April through to August for carp  I struggle for what to do next after that, I think timing would be more critical than anything else from now till next spring, even that north easterly we had this week was cold. 

When you look at it that way I guess the question should be 

How can I get better? What can I do better? How can I maximise my chances? It always helps to stack the % in your favour, so every little thing you do right is a step closer 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, elmoputney said:

When you look at it that way I guess the question should be 

How can I get better? What can I do better? How can I maximise my chances? It always helps to stack the % in your favour, so every little thing you do right is a step closer 

I analyse every trip at the end, even if I caught, to try to work out what I'm doing right, or wrong. 

It is easy to catch and accept the session as a good one, but could you have done better, caught more?

To me it stops me getting stale and doing the same thing every time when things aren't working. It is possibly why on Alton I found a couple of working methods, in various swims. 

 

The problem with blanks, especially on harder waters with fewer fish, is you might not be doing anything wrong, just unable to get on fish, especially like on my current syndicate, where you don't want to interfere with other angler's, respecting their space and fishing. I.E we won't fish spots they have been working or prebaiting if we know about it. 

Saying that, if you blank it could be you got something wrong. Last session, I blanked, but I had an idea that I am using the wrong hookbait over hemp and maize; a 20mm boilie tipped with maize is not the right choice, I think I might need to use a small yellow pop-up to counteract the silkweed when fishing over those particles. 

Over the 'boilie baited' rods a boilie could be the right choice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...