Jump to content

Micro jigging


Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 07:47, jh92 said:

I’m loaded up for a few hours on the canal this morning, hopefully I can catch a few perch. Haven’t done any lure fishing since the beginning of the year so really looking forward to it!!

is anyone else doing any predator fishing at the moment?

 

Yeah I've spent this year buying kit as the carp venues were too busy for me, full day kits for carp/barbel/tench etc and full kits for Perch, Zander and Pike.

I've done a day drop shotting on Pitsford Res for Perch - had a small one and lost a Pike on the heavy duty rod, a day on Rutland vertical jigging for Zander and had 2 small Zed's.

Also been on my local canal and river practicing the methods and had a few small Perch and Pike.

Oh and an afternoon deadbaiting on ferry meadows where I had a Jack and my son took the second run and landed a 15lb Pike - the jammy git lol

I've told myself to keep up the predator fishing at least once a month throughout 2021 -  not to treat it as a winter thing only.

tbh I am seriously thinking of buying an electric motor with GPS anchoring and a Sonar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I've been trying a bit of drop shotting for Perch in the local canal, it's quite snaggy +been losing a few leads+ rigs . Which shape leads do people think snag least? I've been using the standard column shaped drop shot weights, would round ones be better? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/01/2021 at 21:03, Big Bass said:

What did you think of the lures  jh  ?

Sorry for the late reply mate, I haven't caught anything on them mate, they do feel a tad flimsy, I reckon they'll be good for perch but don't think they'll hold pike. I've seen some videos on youtube of some guy in america catching bass on them so they do work lol.

On 05/01/2021 at 15:36, kevtaylor said:

Yeah I've spent this year buying kit as the carp venues were too busy for me, full day kits for carp/barbel/tench etc and full kits for Perch, Zander and Pike.

I've done a day drop shotting on Pitsford Res for Perch - had a small one and lost a Pike on the heavy duty rod, a day on Rutland vertical jigging for Zander and had 2 small Zed's.

Also been on my local canal and river practicing the methods and had a few small Perch and Pike.

Oh and an afternoon deadbaiting on ferry meadows where I had a Jack and my son took the second run and landed a 15lb Pike - the jammy git lol

I've told myself to keep up the predator fishing at least once a month throughout 2021 -  not to treat it as a winter thing only.

tbh I am seriously thinking of buying an electric motor with GPS anchoring and a Sonar.

That's a nice pike mate, did you end up getting a motor? Sounds fun lol. I'm getting my club ticket for the canal tomorrow so hopefully do a bit of deadbaiting 👍 I was watching a video on twitching the deadbait when using a float, you cover more water doing it so tomorrow hopefully walk the canal with a rod set up on a float/deadbait and see if I can hook something. Conditions look good too 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, jh92 said:

That's a nice pike mate, did you end up getting a motor? Sounds fun lol. I'm getting my club ticket for the canal tomorrow so hopefully do a bit of deadbaiting 👍 I was watching a video on twitching the deadbait when using a float, you cover more water doing it so tomorrow hopefully walk the canal with a rod set up on a float/deadbait and see if I can hook something. Conditions look good too 😀

No I've not bought the trolling motor or sonar yet - no rush with lockdown, the ressies are closed anyway.

Good luck down the canal 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kevtaylor said:

No I've not bought the trolling motor or sonar yet - no rush with lockdown, the ressies are closed anyway.

Good luck down the canal 👍

Fair play mate, I did a few hours this morning with some skimmer dead baits but had no luck 👎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2021 at 17:25, jh92 said:

Fair play mate, I did a few hours this morning with some skimmer dead baits but had no luck 👎

For some reason I have never done as well on skimmer deads as I have on roach. Probably the main reason is because I get takes on roach, so regularly use them, whereas don't get takes on skimmers on the occasions I try, so don't often use or even get them. 

Best deadbaits for me are smelt and roach, then mackeral and herrings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/09/2021 at 22:17, kevtaylor said:

Taking my son perch fishing on Pitsford Monday - obviously been buying more lures oh and rods, reels....., cant wait to give these Westin Crank Baits a try (plugs to us oldies)

 

Screenshot_20210910-221252_Gallery.jpg

How did you get on kev?

I'm out tomorrow morning with some rag worm, plan to fish them drop shot style off a deep rock mark 👍 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, jh92 said:

How did you get on kev?

I'm out tomorrow morning with some rag worm, plan to fish them drop shot style off a deep rock mark 👍 

 

Taken my son Pitsford twice now - both times we struggled for perch, he hooked the only one first trip and a pike took it near the boat - landed neither.  Ended up with a few Jack's each first trip.  Second trip zero perch, more Jacks and a few rainbows.

Great fun - I love it 

Good luck with your session 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...