Jump to content

Okuma 8k or Penn affinity iiI 8000 lceu


Recommended Posts

Hi Guy ! 

I'm looking for a reel for long distance fishing! Currently Shimano ultegra xtd is! I don't like it, weak structure .... I chose these two reels!

Okuma 8k or Penn affinity iiI 8000 lceu

Give advice on which one would you buy? There is not much information about the reels! Do you have another reel suggestion? Rod: Shimano TX9 intensity 390cm 3.5 lbs

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ! 

Thanks ! I know the reel  are good but which one is better ??? The point is which one does not twist the line and which can withstand 150 meter throws and wild carp from a great distance! Which structure is more stable and modern construction who has what opinion ... They are afraid of daiwa new ones because they say pure plastic ... Shimano was a big disappointment

 
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mitchell are worth a look and they make the reels i bought the Avocet spod that Erics Angling sold i have had it under water loads of times well happy with it, so i'm looking at the Mitchell MX 6 they do three different sizes.

Nuffinbutfishing looks happy with it in this video 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Iv got the 8k and it feels bullet proof the line lay is impeccable with the slow oscillation, it’s heavy ish but like I said to a angler who popped into my swime and said “ I heard of them there to heavy you should use Shimano “ my comeback was if I was fly fishing with them you would be talking sense   🙄  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Bass said:

Iv got the 8k and it feels bullet proof the line lay is impeccable with the slow oscillation, it’s heavy ish but like I said to a angler who popped into my swime and said “ I heard of them there to heavy you should use Shimano “ my comeback was if I was fly fishing with them you would be talking sense   🙄  

Lol 

yep really going to bend the buzz bars they are sitting on for 99% of the time

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/01/2021 at 23:21, Gabriel said:

Hi Guy ! 

I'm looking for a reel for long distance fishing! Currently Shimano ultegra xtd is! I don't like it, weak structure .... I chose these two reels! Give advice on which one would you buy? There is not much information about the reels! Do you have another reel suggestion? Rod: Shimano TX9 intensity 390cm 3.5 lbs

My first choice would be penn they are bulletproof take a kicking an keep on ticking

Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing how 'plasticky' the current Shimano Ultegra reels feel, I know exactly what you mean. 

If I wanted to stay with Shimano it would be Aerlex's or Beastmaster reels from their current range, they are also budget priced. 

 

If it was the choice between the ones you mentioned, I'd go for the Penn reels. I played with them in the tackle shop and they feel built to last. 

On 15/01/2021 at 23:21, Gabriel said:

Hi Guy ! 

I'm looking for a reel for long distance fishing! Currently Shimano ultegra xtd is! I don't like it, weak structure .... I chose these two reels!

Okuma 8k or Penn affinity iiI 8000 lceu

Give advice on which one would you buy? There is not much information about the reels! Do you have another reel suggestion? Rod: Shimano TX9 intensity 390cm 3.5 lbs

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

These days it would seem you have to go up to 200 quid-ish for a high quality Shimano bait runner the ST of mine gave up after the last chunk i had on it, the DLs could go the same way at any time as they are similar reels about the same age. 

I’d go for the penn all day long they are built to take a hammering an still keep going and they cast a dream I’m only small and I can cast my mucka 170 yrds with pva bag included 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Gabriel don't mind a bit of reel talk outside his choices, has anyone used or handled the Shimano Baitrunner Oceanic Reel for the money it is a expensive reel for me but it looks like it has all the baitrunner qualities of old

 

  • Baitrunner System
  • Dyna Balance Anti-Wobble System
  • 3+1 Shielded Stainless Steel Bearings
  • Varispeed Oscillation System
  • Floating Shaft II
  • Easy Maintenance
  • AR-C SPOOL
  • Power Roller
  • Super Stopper II

Also since when did a good light metal such as ally or even titanium become out of the question in a sub 200 quid reel, if these XT7 and other similar polymers are so good and advanced why are they not used on big money reels, I've a feeling it is not the cost of the marital that is the issue, polymers are a lot easier to mould and machine, I'd say the polymers make vast profits  due to the production costs, but that does not mean they couldn't use metals and sell for the same money but make less profit. Some of the big reel makers are going to lose a lot of customers if they keep this up basic baitrunners have always been under the 100 quid mark with all of the above features, these last few years they seem to have lowered the features in the cheaper reels just so they can sell a stand out reel for 200 plus and it is only happening in carp fishing, there is a big name company that has not long brought out a very expensive item that is nothing more than moulded plastic and it is getting panned in the reviews the build quality is is on a par with a similar product that costs a lot less. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2021 at 22:47, Carpbell_ll said:

These days it would seem you have to go up to 200 quid-ish for a high quality Shimano bait runner the ST of mine gave up after the last chunk i had on it, the DLs could go the same way at any time as they are similar reels about the same age. 

I've managed to knock a centre spindle off true and break a handle on one of my DL10000's. 

For the cost of them I was not happy. The older 4000/6010 Baitrunner reels definitely better quality

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Also since when did a good light metal such as ally or even titanium become out of the question in a sub 200 quid reel

Al/Ti require machining which when compared to moulding is a completely different ball game when it comes to mass production. A cheap Al/Ti reel is just never going to happen mate.

Magnesium can be cast which is why they use it for the top dollar shimmys.

10 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

if these XT7 and other similar polymers are so good and advanced why are they not used on big money reels

They are mate. If you look at the flagship models the Shimmy Tech Mags have a Ci4+ rotor and the Daiwa Basiar rotor is made from Zaion (both Ci4+ and Zaion are carbon composites). On the next models down (Ultegra Ci4 and Basia 45 SCW) they have Ci4/Zaion bodies too.

I'm not a fan of these composites. They're sold as weight saving but they just feel cheap. They don't make them like they used to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2021 at 20:26, salokcinnodrog said:

Knowing how 'plasticky' the current Shimano Ultegra reels feel, I know exactly what you mean. 

If I wanted to stay with Shimano it would be Aerlex's or Beastmaster reels from their current range, they are also budget priced. 

 

If it was the choice between the ones you mentioned, I'd go for the Penn reels. I played with them in the tackle shop and they feel built to last. 

 

I have been impressed with my aerlex spod reel so far, bail arm took at a bit of getting used too as it needs to be locked open, but I was tempted to go for shimano reels next time I upgraded, not so sure I would after reading this thread now 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2021 at 05:30, Carpmaster said:

I’d go for the penn all day long they are built to take a hammering an still keep going and they cast a dream I’m only small and I can cast my mucka 170 yrds with pva bag included 

Just wondered what rod you're combining that with to achieve that distance? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, yonny said:

The difference between the best and worst casting reels (assuming they're both big pits) is a few yards. It's all about the rod and the technique really.

It is technique but you got to have the gear that can achieve those distances I was lucky my uncle used to take me sea fishing so learnt to cast very early in life 🤫

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys ! 

May be looking forward to a little! I'll see what's in the okuma of the future! We have an ultegra xtd tuning plus bearings greasing joints ... £ 50-70  which is done by a reel mechanic!
I don't know if this amount is worth it to me!
Because I sell ultegrat for almost a new price plus I add that to 50 pounds and I’m already ahead! Mechanic specialist says okuma 8k is like a catfish spindle rough durung heavy spindle. The penn is a robust reel but tends to twist the line!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Hi Guys ! 

May be looking forward to a little! I'll see what's in the okuma of the future! We have an ultegra xtd tuning plus bearings greasing joints ... £ 50-70  which is done by a reel mechanic!
I don't know if this amount is worth it to me!
Because I sell ultegrat for almost a new price plus I add that to 50 pounds and I’m already ahead! Mechanic specialist says okuma 8k is like a catfish spindle rough durung heavy spindle. The penn is a robust reel but tends to twist the line!

Your gonna get line twist anyway with the leads we use etc they spin on retrieve 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2021 at 14:08, yonny said:

For sure mate. What I'm saying is the reel has hardly any influence (as long as it's a big pit reel). It's the rod that gets the distance.

As @yonnysays, any big pit reel will cast the distance as long as the reel is big enough.

When I had my Century SP's twinned with Shimano DL10000's, the maximum distance I could cast with 15lb 0.35mm line was 90metres. Put on the Beastmaster reels, a big pit baitrunner on the spool, the distance went up to over 130m.

8 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Hi Guys ! 

May be looking forward to a little! I'll see what's in the okuma of the future! We have an ultegra xtd tuning plus bearings greasing joints ... £ 50-70  which is done by a reel mechanic!
I don't know if this amount is worth it to me!
Because I sell ultegrat for almost a new price plus I add that to 50 pounds and I’m already ahead! Mechanic specialist says okuma 8k is like a catfish spindle rough durung heavy spindle. The penn is a robust reel but tends to twist the line!

 

5 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

Your gonna get line twist anyway with the leads we use etc they spin on retrieve 

There are ways to reduce line twist, and one simple one is DON'T play fish off the clutch or drag, use the back wind. 

Not sure whether it is just me, but I also think lead clips can cause twist, a reason why I prefer run rings, which are not fixed to the hook link swivel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend was always complaining about line twist he went through so many different manufactures lines it was unreal,I even started calling him Lino, This was the dark times before measuring sticks.  I was fishing nx to him one time and noticed when he walked out his distances at the back of the swim he would lay his rods on the grass engaged the bait runners and walk up to the mark with the lead in in hand. Told him that’s his problem and it was sorted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...