7 hours ago, Nube said:

I'm new to carping, how would you go about catching your first carp +any suggested venues to try in the Bristol area to get that first fish? 

I’m not from that area so can’t say where but it’s hard at this time of yr anyway look for a runs water shallowish large head of carp take maggots

godsend this time of yr  keep it simple simple hair rig with maggot clip  most of all enjoy yourself you’ll pick it up as you go ask other anglers for advice most will help out with advice or even show you sometimes  take your time enjoy it sometimes it’s not just about the catching the being there watching the water can often teach you a lot more 

hope this helps

Join Bathampton AA;

https://bathampton.org/venues/dave-crookes-fishery-at-hunstrete/

(£40 a year) and a day ticket is an extra £5 and go to Withy Pool on the Hunstrete complex. Loads of Carp and not difficult to catch. Several years ago they netted all the fish in all 3 lakes and I believe anything under 5lb went into Bridge Pool (mainly a match lake), 5 to 15lb went into Withy and anything over 20lb went into the main lake. The original main lake was fished by a certain Mr Walker many moons ago but I believe he blanked!

2 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

I’m not from that area so can’t say where but it’s hard at this time of yr anyway look for a runs water shallowish large head of carp take maggots

godsend this time of yr  keep it simple simple hair rig with maggot clip  most of all enjoy yourself you’ll pick it up as you go ask other anglers for advice most will help out with advice or even show you sometimes  take your time enjoy it sometimes it’s not just about the catching the being there watching the water can often teach you a lot more 

hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. This seems a good website with plenty of friendly helpful tips. I'm trying to pick up bits from the various forums +YouTube. There's is so much out there, if your new to all this its hard to know which advice  is worth following. I don't want to go shelling out on loads of expensive gear that might not be any good or suitable. Can anyone suggest a good all round starter reel+ what would l be looking at spending initially to get a reel worth using? 

16 minutes ago, Nube said:

Thanks for the advice. This seems a good website with plenty of friendly helpful tips. I'm trying to pick up bits from the various forums +YouTube. There's is so much out there, if your new to all this its hard to know which advice  is worth following. I don't want to go shelling out on loads of expensive gear that might not be any good or suitable. Can anyone suggest a good all round starter reel+ what would l be looking at spending initially to get a reel worth using? 

Have you looked at any brands? Do you have any budget? Have you any gear at all yet? 

I was like this at 1st when started out, started small then worked my way up to what I am happy with now... Started off all NGT Gear, now all Sonik Gear. 

Start off keeping it simple, but starting in winter will be hard, maybe worth finding some where to fish 1st, get all gear together and maybe monitor it for a few weeks? 

Edited by Highy
5 minutes ago, Highy said:

Have you looked at any brands? Do you have any budget? Have you any gear at all yet? 

I was like this at 1st when started out, started small then worked my way up to what I am happy with now... Started off all NGT Gear, now all Sonik Gear. 

Start off keeping it simple, but starting in winter will be hard, maybe worth finding some where to fish 1st, get all gear together and maybe monitor it for a few weeks? 

Hi, someone bought me as a present  a Sonik Vader X RS 12' 2.75 rod and a pair of max 60 baitrunner reels (I think these are made by ngt.) I know the reels were cheap, but they were gifts I don't want to fall at the first hurdle using gear that won't work

1 minute ago, Nube said:

Hi, someone bought me as a present  a Sonik Vader X RS 12' 2.75 rod and a pair of max 60 baitrunner reels (I think these are made by ngt.) I know the reels were cheap, but they were gifts I don't want to fall at the first hurdle using gear that won't work

I used these at 1st, then upgraded to Nash BP reels, now on Sonik Reels... 

Just now, Nube said:

The rod is fine nothing wrong with that for a first reel not expensive but will do you till you find your feet wychwood big pit it will be easy for you to use not heavy and will probably suit 99%of the waters your Lilly to fish starting off  hope it’s some help as I don’t know your budget 

25 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

The rod is fine nothing wrong with that for a first reel not expensive but will do you till you find your feet wychwood big pit it will be easy for you to use not heavy and will probably suit 99%of the waters your Lilly to fish starting off  hope it’s some help as I don’t know your budget 

Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking of going up to £50/60 but should I be going up to to the £100 mark to make it worth my while or would a £50ish reel do okay? 

35 minutes ago, Highy said:

I used these at 1st, then upgraded to Nash BP reels, now on Sonik Reels... 

Cheers 👍Lots of good interaction on this website, It looks like carp people just love talking fishing. I think I'll just start bombarding you lot with thousands of questions to build up my knowledge 😂

17 minutes ago, Nube said:

Cheers 👍Lots of good interaction on this website, It looks like carp people just love talking fishing. I think I'll just start bombarding you lot with thousands of questions to build up my knowledge 😂

There’s good guys on here and their knowledge on fishing is extensive,show me a fisherman or fisherwoman who don’t luv talking fishing lol the wychwood reel I mentioned was 60 quid I think and my friend says it was a good first reel he’s still got his just don’t dust it off as much these days  

keep things simple yours eyes will be your biggest asset to you just enjoy it don’t expect to start hauling straight away if you catch look where the hook hold is this can teach you things and another very important note carp care !!!! Have you got a mat or cradle have you carp care ointment or fell etc there’s many on the market look after what you catch 

14 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

There’s good guys on here and their knowledge on fishing is extensive,show me a fisherman or fisherwoman who don’t luv talking fishing lol the wychwood reel I mentioned was 60 quid I think and my friend says it was a good first reel he’s still got his just don’t dust it off as much these days  

keep things simple yours eyes will be your biggest asset to you just enjoy it don’t expect to start hauling straight away if you catch look where the hook hold is this can teach you things and another very important note carp care !!!! Have you got a mat or cradle have you carp care ointment or fell etc there’s many on the market look after what you catch 

I've got a basic unhooking mat for now, just in case I was to catch one 😂 Think I'll get a carp care kit in preparation, some of the carp I've seen caught on the YouTube videos look a bit bashed up 😒

1 minute ago, Nube said:

I've got a basic unhooking mat for now, just in case I was to catch one 😂 Think I'll get a carp care kit in preparation, some of the carp I've seen caught on the YouTube videos look a bit bashed up 😒

There’s a few around like that and it’s a shame but nice to see you have thought about it so well done 👍 

4 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

There’s a few around like that and it’s a shame but nice to see you have thought about it so well done 👍 

What about hooks, barbed /micro barbed or barbless. Is there much difference keeping a fish on once hooked on a barbless as apposed to a barbed hook. I would prefer to use barbless if it's better for fish safety

3 minutes ago, Nube said:

What about hooks, barbed /micro barbed or barbless. Is there much difference keeping a fish on once hooked on a barbless as apposed to a barbed hook. I would prefer to use barbless if it's better for fish safety

For me micro barbed all day I don’t agree with barbless they move and tear my own experience has shown me this but then poor fishery management also plays a part of lake is heavy weed and Lilly’s an can’t use a boat why keep a barbless policy in place but that’s a whole different subject if the lake you choose permits it go with micro barbed

Oh, I really didn't know that about barbless hooks moving +tearing, that makes complete sense when you think about it. Micros sound much safer. Thanks, thats  just something I would not have known or thought. 

1 minute ago, Nube said:

Oh, I really didn't know that about barbless hooks moving +tearing, that makes complete sense when you think about it. Micros sound much safer. Thanks, thats  just something I would not have known or thought. 

It’s all a learning curve even I’m still learning just don’t get swamped with it all take your time learn as you go don’t think I’ve got to do this or that to catch cause I seen it on you tube etc can be both a help and hindrance just ask the guys on here will give you good sound advice 

best of luck to landing your first carp 

14 hours ago, Nube said:

I'm new to carping, how would you go about catching your first carp +any suggested venues to try in the Bristol area to get that first fish? 

Welcome to Carp.com. 

Keep things simple! 

Don't get confused in rigs, or even bait. 

Despite the fact that carp magazines, media or Facebook pages propagate rig fashions, a simple knotless knot hook on hook link still works well, for many baits; sweetcorn, luncheon meat, boilies and even most particles like chick peas, kidney beans which can be bought from a supermarket. 

(

I don't know your area, but find a fishery that will produce fish, although right now is a tough time to be starting, weather, lockdown and numbers of angler's make life tough. 

Some of us are so old we started carp fishing just with a spare ledger rod while float fishing. That still works! 

6 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com. 

Keep things simple! 

Despite the fact that carp magazines, media or Facebook pages propagate rig fashions, a simple knotless knot hook on hook link still works well, for many baits; sweetcorn, luncheon meat, boilies and even most particles like chick peas, kidney beans which can be bought from a supermarket. 

(

I don't know your area, but find a fishery that will produce fish, although right now is a tough time to be starting, weather, lockdown and numbers of angler's make life tough. 

Some of us are so old we started carp fishing just with a spare ledger rod while float fishing. That still works! 

Nothing wrong with old school lol

10 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

hope this helps

I learned a lot from other anglers when I was younger you usually find the old school lads are the most helpful on the bank YouTube is good

3 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com. 

Keep things simple! 

(

Many thanks s for this link that's really helpful. I bought a few bits and have enjoyed having a go at tying some of the different rigs that are out there. I guess the real angling skill is knowing what rig to use and when. I was advised to try using Kamasan B175 wet Nymph Fly hook(otis attached) as the turned eye pattern helps with the hook set without the need for aligners etc, would you say this is a good idea? 

20210121_164859.jpg