Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Evening all, 

 

I'm relatively new to carp fishing - I've caught them before in a local, small lake but I want to start targeting the bigger boys. 

 

The problem is the scene is over awing with talk of different rigs, knots, reels, baits and so on. I'm sure you all know what I mean. It's absolutely baffling to try and get started when the terminology is so thick and impenetrable. Could someone outline what kind of kit I'll need to get serious and what I need to know most? 

 

Hope to hear from you all soon. 

 

Tuck 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to Carp.com. 

Right now fishing is tough, a cold winter with no night fishing, many waters still closed, and finding the fish. 

First things you'll need are a good landing net and unhooking mat, even before rods, reels as you can land carp or other big fish by accident. A decent roach, bream or tench deserves as much respect as a carp. 

You will get loads of rod and reel recommendations, everyone uses what works for them, and someone like me who has been fishing for 40 years doesn't know the bargain side of the current market. 

Keep rigs simple, most rigs catch more anglers than fish. 

 

Find the fish, more time looking catches most. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Welcome to Carp.com. 

Right now fishing is tough, a cold winter with no night fishing, many waters still closed, and finding the fish. 

First things you'll need are a good landing net and unhooking mat, even before rods, reels as you can land carp or other big fish by accident. A decent roach, bream or tench deserves as much respect as a carp. 

You will get loads of rod and reel recommendations, everyone uses what works for them, and someone like me who has been fishing for 40 years doesn't know the bargain side of the current market. 

Keep rigs simple, most rigs catch more anglers than fish. 

 

Find the fish, more time looking catches most. 

 

Cheers for the reply. I'll get on the unhooking matt ASAP. 

 

I'll check out the knots and rigs thread but is there any guidance you can give me to start with? I'm taking that a ledger and waggle tip / bite alarm is the way to go? 

 

Thanks for the welcome buddy! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tuckab said:

Evening all, 

 

I'm relatively new to carp fishing - I've caught them before in a local, small lake but I want to start targeting the bigger boys. 

 

The problem is the scene is over awing with talk of different rigs, knots, reels, baits and so on. I'm sure you all know what I mean. It's absolutely baffling to try and get started when the terminology is so thick and impenetrable. Could someone outline what kind of kit I'll need to get serious and what I need to know most? 

 

Hope to hear from you all soon. 

 

Tuck 

Welcome tuck location is the main thing just keep things simple standard ledger an rig in the right place should see you ok you will soon pick it all back up stick with what you have confidence in 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Carpmaster said:

Welcome tuck location is the main thing just keep things simple standard ledger an rig in the right place should see you ok you will soon pick it all back up stick with what you have confidence in 

Cheers.

I'm looking at ordering some kit soon. Any suggestions on reasonably priced rods etc? 

 

Got the unhooking mat and landing net on order. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tuckab said:

Cheers.

I'm looking at ordering some kit soon. Any suggestions on reasonably priced rods etc? 

 

Got the unhooking mat and landing net on order. 

Carp care kit 3lb tc rod with a big pit reel will see you out of most trouble 

I can’t say what brand as it’s personal preference on things like that I’m running so I’m rods with diawa big pits

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

Carp care kit 3lb tc rod with a big pit reel will see you out of most trouble 

I can’t say what brand as it’s personal preference on things like that I’m running so I’m rods with diawa big pits

I'm looking on second hand sites at the minute. Seems lots of folk are selling it cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It can be very confusing to know what the best kit can be when just starting out, but try not to let it get to you too much. It’s always important to have a decent unhooking mat, landing net and carp care kit. As for rods and reels, there are very good rods and reels offered by the major brands, check out the diawa stable for well priced rods/reels with known pedigree. There are loads of decent bite alarms out there, Nash do a siren for £20ish, fox micron minis aren’t expensive. It all depends on your budget and how much you want to spend. As for line, can’t go wrong with diawa sensor or Berkeley big game, big spools for not a lot of money. End tackle can be a minefield! But keep things simple, inline leads, a few bombs, (designed for lead clip use) a few lead clips and some tubing will give you a few options. You can buy ready tied rigs to get you going, you know that they are proven and you can use them as templates to learn how to tie them yourself. Scissors, forceps, boilie stops, baiting needles, and other sundries. Any boilie from a reputable manufacturer will give you a bait to start with, richworth, mainline, Nash etc. Or use baits that you are used to from your coarse fishing, sweet corn, luncheon meat, pellet etc.  
 

also, don’t ignore the 2nd hand market, you can get some bargains at times. The best thing you could do is if you have a mate or two that can guide you who are afflicted with the carp fishing bug, they can advise you or may have gear they don’t use that you could borrow to get an idea, or if you have a decent tackle shop that you can speak to, if you buy from a shop as opposed to online, you may be able to strike a deal on the gear. We need to support our local tackle shops, they are disappearing from our high streets. Online tackle sales don’t have that personal touch either and you can have a look and a play with rods, reels and alarms etc in a shop to see if they suit you, the feel, balance etc. Can’t do that online! Look after your tackle shop and they should look after you! 
 

don’t go mad on tackle bags and all singing and dancing kit, I’m afraid to say that I’ve fallen into that trap, I need a barrow to shift all my gear around, I’ve got a large hold-all full of “essential” kit that I carry around on every session, yet in it I probably get out the catapult and little lead bag... on a day session I take my rods, landing net and bank sticks in a rod bag, bait, tackle box, lead bag, catty and bait in a rucksack. Pod and bite alarms in the pod bag and unhooking mat under my arm. Then the barrow can stay at home! I then take the barrow, bed chair with sleeping bag, oval brolly and storm sticks, food bag with stove and kettle, bottle of water and the famous “essential” hold-all for a night session and that’s about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

It can be very confusing to know what the best kit can be when just starting out, but try not to let it get to you too much. It’s always important to have a decent unhooking mat, landing net and carp care kit. As for rods and reels, there are very good rods and reels offered by the major brands, check out the diawa stable for well priced rods/reels with known pedigree. There are loads of decent bite alarms out there, Nash do a siren for £20ish, fox micron minis aren’t expensive. It all depends on your budget and how much you want to spend. As for line, can’t go wrong with diawa sensor or Berkeley big game, big spools for not a lot of money. End tackle can be a minefield! But keep things simple, inline leads, a few bombs, (designed for lead clip use) a few lead clips and some tubing will give you a few options. You can buy ready tied rigs to get you going, you know that they are proven and you can use them as templates to learn how to tie them yourself. Scissors, forceps, boilie stops, baiting needles, and other sundries. Any boilie from a reputable manufacturer will give you a bait to start with, richworth, mainline, Nash etc. Or use baits that you are used to from your coarse fishing, sweet corn, luncheon meat, pellet etc.  
 

also, don’t ignore the 2nd hand market, you can get some bargains at times. The best thing you could do is if you have a mate or two that can guide you who are afflicted with the carp fishing bug, they can advise you or may have gear they don’t use that you could borrow to get an idea, or if you have a decent tackle shop that you can speak to, if you buy from a shop as opposed to online, you may be able to strike a deal on the gear. We need to support our local tackle shops, they are disappearing from our high streets. Online tackle sales don’t have that personal touch either and you can have a look and a play with rods, reels and alarms etc in a shop to see if they suit you, the feel, balance etc. Can’t do that online! Look after your tackle shop and they should look after you! 
 

don’t go mad on tackle bags and all singing and dancing kit, I’m afraid to say that I’ve fallen into that trap, I need a barrow to shift all my gear around, I’ve got a large hold-all full of “essential” kit that I carry around on every session, yet in it I probably get out the catapult and little lead bag... on a day session I take my rods, landing net and bank sticks in a rod bag, bait, tackle box, lead bag, catty and bait in a rucksack. Pod and bite alarms in the pod bag and unhooking mat under my arm. Then the barrow can stay at home! I then take the barrow, bed chair with sleeping bag, oval brolly and storm sticks, food bag with stove and kettle, bottle of water and the famous “essential” hold-all for a night session and that’s about it. 

Good advise there ouch

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tuckab said:

Evening all, 

 

I'm relatively new to carp fishing - I've caught them before in a local, small lake but I want to start targeting the bigger boys. 

 

The problem is the scene is over awing with talk of different rigs, knots, reels, baits and so on. I'm sure you all know what I mean. It's absolutely baffling to try and get started when the terminology is so thick and impenetrable. Could someone outline what kind of kit I'll need to get serious and what I need to know most? 

 

Hope to hear from you all soon. 

 

Tuck 

Could always be really quiet and find them in the edge and lower a float on them 

don’t need anything fancy then 

decent sized net and mat and good to go 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, framey said:

Could always be really quiet and find them in the edge and lower a float on them 

don’t need anything fancy then 

decent sized net and mat and good to go 

I've got a rod that would work for waggler float in the margins. 

Thanks all for the advice. 

A local tackle shop is offering a pair of Sonik Vader RS rods and reels for 210. Is this a good deal? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two rods and reels for £200? That doesn’t sound too bad to me mate. Sonik gear is usually pretty good, my son has a pair of sonik sks blacks, which predate the vaders. He has no problems with them. They were mine before he got them, I had them as a set of 3, but I snapped one trying to put a 3.3/4oz lead 120yrds. This doesn’t detract from the brand though, I was just being a bit of an animal. Google the RRP of the rods and reels and that should give you a good idea if the deal is a good one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked online, the sonik Vader’s are retailing between £49.99p each (angling direct) - £57.99p (eBay) the Vader rs reels are retailing for £49.99p (angling direct) so £200 is around what I would be looking to pay. If you can find the exact model of rod to check out online, perhaps pointing out to the shop that you can beat that deal online may get a bit more knocked off? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tuckab said:

I've got a rod that would work for waggler float in the margins. 

Thanks all for the advice. 

A local tackle shop is offering a pair of Sonik Vader RS rods and reels for 210. Is this a good deal? 

I had some vader x rods they were fine to use no problems with those, I had 10ft rods and wanted some 12ft rods so I sold them, 

Some great advice for you from the other guys, but I agree keep it simple and don't buy loads of stuff you don't need,just buy it when you need it 😬😁

those rods and reels will be a good starting point, and should work fine 

Things that are most important 

rigs keep em simple and don't get too bogged down, maybe buy some for a while and then learn to tie your own once you start to understand what works for you, 

Bait, just find one you like and stick with it lol (I was a serial changer a while ago) it was never the bait but my own bad angling was the reason I didn't catch 

Line (I like Gardner line) korda Carp line is decent and reasonably priced also 

A decent catapult is a good thing to have 

Leads and lead clips 

Mesh funnel Web the easy way to make Pva bags 

Most importantly enjoy yourself 👍

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started I was under-gunned but carp tackle in Canada was almost non-existant so my friends and I just used whatever we could find.  The fish were great though so we all burned out cheap reels in a season or 2.  When carping really took off I started buying tackle from the buy-sell board on a forum and from fleabay (often from British expats who brought their gear over) and even had some reels sent from a tackle shop in England.  Now there's tons of it taking up a whole corner of the basement, and I have no regrets.  We're only allowed to fish 1 rod here, but I have a lot of choice as to which one I use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tuckab said:

I've got a rod that would work for waggler float in the margins. 

Thanks all for the advice. 

A local tackle shop is offering a pair of Sonik Vader RS rods and reels for 210. Is this a good deal? 

That’s a tidy price that is  I had a pair of Vader Ed rods for Xmas nice bit of kit and with reels good deal that is

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

I would of if you was in Wales mucka 

When lockdown is over I'm planning on getting into the overnight and weekend sessions so something to look forward to. 

 

I went makins in Nuneaton through the summer. Not targeting the big lads but it gave me the vibe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tuckab said:

When lockdown is over I'm planning on getting into the overnight and weekend sessions so something to look forward to. 

 

I went makins in Nuneaton through the summer. Not targeting the big lads but it gave me the vibe. 

There are some awesome waters out there with a really nice feel to them as well I’ve fished all over the country but not abroad lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep trying to convince the wife to go on a boating holiday up the Thames! (She’s not keen) my dad was a firefighter on the London fire boat and we had a boat on the Thames. My summers and half terms were spent cruising up and down the river, fishing every time we stopped. I would love to have a boat on the Thames now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tuckab said:

Just to update you all - I got a pair of sonik RX Vader Rods and the RS8000 reels. 

Took them out today and caught nothing. The line kept curling off the spool and getting caught under the mechanism of the spool. Very irritating. 

Any suggestions on why that may be?

Could be line twist I’m using the Vader Rs an I’ve not had no problems at all 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tuckab said:

Just to update you all - I got a pair of sonik RX Vader Rods and the RS8000 reels. 

Took them out today and caught nothing. The line kept curling off the spool and getting caught under the mechanism of the spool. Very irritating. 

Any suggestions on why that may be?

I've also had this problem in the past, I use a Gardner Spin Doctor, tied straight to the end of the line...Go to a lake, Make a few shorts casts then gradually get further until as far as you can cast... Repeat a few times for each rod. 

Maybe old, but same principal 

 

Edited by Highy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...