20 hours ago, Tuckab said:

Just to update you all - I got a pair of sonik RX Vader Rods and the RS8000 reels. 

Took them out today and caught nothing. The line kept curling off the spool and getting caught under the mechanism of the spool. Very irritating. 

Any suggestions on why that may be?

Have you put too much line on the reels?

On 28/02/2021 at 23:41, Tuckab said:

Just to update you all - I got a pair of sonik RX Vader Rods and the RS8000 reels. 

Took them out today and caught nothing. The line kept curling off the spool and getting caught under the mechanism of the spool. Very irritating. 

Any suggestions on why that may be?

Good kit, but it's the same as everything takes time to get used to things once you get to know a little check routine before casting or reeling in it will prevent those little slip ups. happens to us all, line falling off the back of reels is nothing new and can happen on any reel. 

1 hour ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Good kit, but it's the same as everything takes time to get used to things once you get to know a little check routine before casting or reeling in it will prevent those little slip ups. happens to us all, line falling off the back of reels is nothing new and can happen on any reel. 

Oh yeah absolutely.

Just didn't know if it was an easy fix. Fingers crossed its all sorted now. 

15 hours ago, Tuckab said:

Been to speak to the chap at my local tackle shop and he's advised me to stretch it out and it should re-condition the line. Been and hand stretched it. Seems better. 

This advice is very common which is a worry. Stretching line cannot eliminate twist. It just hides it (deforms the line so it appears straight). Doesn't do you any favours in the long run buddy.

Go with the Spin Doctor. The only way to take out twist is to twist it the other way.

Just now, Nube said:

Hi, I've been recommended the Shimano ST 10000 BR reels as a goto reel to start carp fishing, would anyone recommend these or an alternative. I was planning on going up to around the £100 mark per reel, any advice on reels would be welcome? 

Go for a big pit butty I’ve got sonik rs and Diawa emcast and honestly there is no comparison the emcast cast just as far if not a bit further the stopping power when you put the brakes on is second to none only down side a bit heavy but I’m used to them now had them yrs and they’re still going strong just need a blooming good service 

The shimano baitrunners are pretty good reels, they have years of experience in making them and you won’t go far wrong with those, personally I use big pit reels myself, I have fox 12000 reels that I love, they will put a lead as far as I can chuck it. They are coupled with 12ft fox torque rods in 3lb t/c. I had a set of shims B/R reels for years, they did me well, I passed them down to my son and he got several years use out of them with no issues. I never serviced them or anything, they just kept going. I still use one as a marker reel. Some think the older shimanos are better than the newer versions, but as I’ve never used/played with newer versions of shimano reels so I couldn’t comment on that. 

19 minutes ago, ouchthathurt said:

The shimano baitrunners are pretty good reels, they have years of experience in making them and you won’t go far wrong with those, personally I use big pit reels myself, I have fox 12000 reels that I love, they will put a lead as far as I can chuck it. They are coupled with 12ft fox torque rods in 3lb t/c. I had a set of shims B/R reels for years, they did me well, I passed them down to my son and he got several years use out of them with no issues. I never serviced them or anything, they just kept going. I still use one as a marker reel. Some think the older shimanos are better than the newer versions, but as I’ve never used/played with newer versions of shimano reels so I couldn’t comment on that. 

😂big pit 😂

4 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

Go for a big pit butty I’ve got sonik rs and Diawa emcast and honestly there is no comparison the emcast cast just as far if not a bit further the stopping power when you put the brakes on is second to none only down side a bit heavy but I’m used to them now had them yrs and they’re still going strong just need a blooming good service 

Surely that depends on what rods they are going on 

Big pits would be rubbish on a scope 6foot snide lol

I had a set of 3 shimano baitrunners, I now have 2... I used one on an 11ft bass rod in the surf in N Wales. I hooked a bass during heavy surf and the weight of the fish and weed combined with a ripping surf caused the spool to implode... seeing as they weren’t designed for that, I can’t really blame the tackle... shame really as I had landed an 11lb 5oz bass the week before, on a free lined pout live bait about 2ft off rocks at night in Southampton docks using the same set up. 

58 minutes ago, Nube said:

Yes 12' Sonik Vader X RS  2.75 

Knock yourself out with the pits then 

at least you can fish at 150 yards with them or under the tips 

personally I would go with a 5000 size on them

I have fox fx9 on my 12 foot 2.75 and a set of ultegra 5500 on my 2lbers

Edited by framey