Jump to content

Anyone fishing at the moment?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

That sort of shift change should be illegal, I have to do 2-10pm monday to Thursday then 10-6pm just the 4 hours earlier really throws me out of whack, perhaps I should be going for day naps, might be a good idea 💡

My late shifts end after midnight, my early shifts start at 7am... we are “exempt from working time directives” apparently... shifts are between 10-13hrs long, I do 4-5shifts a week. 
 

I’m looking for a new job! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carp no5 of 6 runs, that’s it I’m out of bait! Fished from 10-1, so well happy with that, no monsters but it’s broken the 2021 duck.    this one beat me right up, had to chase it down the bank

First blood! 7-9lb (ish) common, unhooked in the net. 

Carp no3 7-9lb (ish) unhooked in the net. 3rd fish from 4 runs so far, bumped one fish off and found the hook point turned over. Was using trig-hammers, now switched to fox wide gapes as I’m having to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

My wife once twisted all the eyes off a pair of century canon carp rods, snapped a pair of Neville alarms off the bank stick and slashed at the spools of my bait runners cutting all the line to shreds, then tipped the contents of the tackle box into the bin...

Sounds like a right Psycho. , lucky she didn't take a knife to you , Ouch , because that would have hurt .

😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ouchthathurt said:

My late shifts end after midnight, my early shifts start at 7am... we are “exempt from working time directives” apparently... shifts are between 10-13hrs long, I do 4-5shifts a week. 
 

I’m looking for a new job! 

So how are you supposed to make critical decisions working those hours , Ouch ? .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

That sort of shift change should be illegal, I have to do 2-10pm monday to Thursday then 10-6pm just the 4 hours earlier really throws me out of whack, perhaps I should be going for day naps, might be a good idea 💡

I get 3-10 or 11 then 8-4.

 

I did ask if I can have an early before my 2 days off, so partly my own fault, but it's a wrench, although it feels like I get 3 days off as my next shift is a late. 

In hospitality and catering those shifts are regular! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, crusian said:

Sounds like a right Psycho. , lucky she didn't take a knife to you , Ouch , because that would have hurt .

😁

Actually... she did! 

 

18 minutes ago, crusian said:

So how are you supposed to make critical decisions working those hours , Ouch ? .

I’ve been an emergency medic since 2005, it’s mostly instinct now! It’s better now then it used to be, but the whole covid situation is putting strain on the whole healthcare industry, I’m lucky really, I pick up/drop off, it’s the nurses, doctors, healthcare assistants, physios, porters and the rest of the hospital workers who are working 12hr shifts day in day out on covid wards as well as looking after the 1000s of non covid patients that come in and out of hospitals daily that deserve praise. I wheel my patients onto wards or A/E or an ITU and every time, I see the nurses and doctors working like Trojan’s non stop and I thank my lucky stars I left nursing to go into the ambulance trade. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

Wow that’s a bit drastic highly

That what I said, but it went on and on about family, this is my only hobby. 

9 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

For real? 

Yep, thinks I'm going to much, told her some home truths about herself. 

8 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

Sorry EX wife... 

It REALLY nearly came to that, so how time goes on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Highy said:

That what I said, but it went on and on about family, this is my only hobby. 

Yep, thinks I'm going to much, told her some home truths about herself. 

It REALLY nearly came to that, so how time goes on. 

I’ve got a good one I have she tells me to go fishing as I’m frying her brain lol I’m hard work to live with lol I know this is true 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Highy said:

That what I said, but it went on and on about family, this is my only hobby. 

Yep, thinks I'm going to much, told her some home truths about herself. 

It REALLY nearly came to that, so how time goes on. 

Sorry to hear about your situation Highy, hope it sorts itself outI.I made the mistake with a ex of explaining in great detail my passion for fishing, how it’s on my mind every day, how I can’t wait to get out on the bank etc .. it did not go down well, I swear she got a bit jealous and maybe even envious. Good luck mate  

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Big Bass said:

Sorry to hear about your situation Highy, hope it sorts itself outI.I made the mistake with a ex of explaining in great detail my passion for fishing, how it’s on my mind every day, how I can’t wait to get out on the bank etc .. it did not go down well, I swear she got a bit jealous and maybe even envious. Good luck mate  

It’s hard sometimes to find a balance and highly I understand your passion I’m the same fishing is allways on my mind my partner understands this and FairPlay to her puts up with me cooking bait making liquids etc like you highly it’s all I do I don’t gamble etc I don’t even go out to pubs for a pint but we have both had bad lives with other partners so we work together we don’t even argue as we both don’t like it (weird)no one is perfect highly if it’s worth saving find a compromise life is too short highly

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Highy said:

That what I said, but it went on and on about family, this is my only hobby. 

Yep, thinks I'm going to much, told her some home truths about herself. 

It REALLY nearly came to that, so how time goes on. 

Sorry to hear that mate, these are tough times all round at the minute, a lot of families are struggling,I know we're finding it tough at times,I hope it gets sorted soon and it all goes back to normal, just remember though, you can't unsay things once you have said them, but maybe use it as a sign to get talking if you can, just try and stay calm, you may find she needed an outburst to clear her head, maybe it had been bottling up for a while, is there a lot of stuff she can't do at the moment cos of restrictions? Maybe she was envious cos you can go fishing and she can't do what she likes, it's a juggling act to keep it all together at the moment, just do your best to keep the balls in the air, stay strong mate, it will get easier I hope 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

My wife once twisted all the eyes off a pair of century canon carp rods, snapped a pair of Neville alarms off the bank stick and slashed at the spools of my bait runners cutting all the line to shreds, then tipped the contents of the tackle box into the bin...

That’s a bit dark ain’t it. Crazy.

 

@Highy I thought your post was a bit of a wind up at first. Sorry to hear what’s going on, hope you can get it sorted 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys... 

32 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I'm not sure if it's a good time to mention it Highy but fish deal have 20% off all sonik stuff today 😂

I am quite tempted by the AXS brolly at £106.90 but I think that may also get me in the doghouse 😭

Get it bought, I'm still stashing n hiding gear, 😁... Got another £50 to splash out on bits. Say its needed for the summer months. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Highy said:

it went on and on about family, this is my only hobby. 

That's tricky mate.

What she needs to understand is that it's more than a hobby. It's a passion. Not something that can be given up just like that.

But at the same time we all need to see things from their perspective. Carping is ultimately a selfish pastime. We disappear, and plough whatever we can into catching carp, at every opportunity we think we can get away with it.

It's about balance and compromise. You need to work together because "fishing or me" is never going to end well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Highy said:

That what I said, but it went on and on about family, this is my only hobby. 

Yep, thinks I'm going to much, told her some home truths about herself. 

It REALLY nearly came to that, so how time goes on. 

Steady on dude fishing will always be there it is the same for all young families, angling can get in the way a bit. i'm sort of lucky with my lady and fishing as it was her that got me back into it after we first met i used to do a bit of fish spotting when walking along the canal together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My ex hated me fishing, to the point that I only used to get in maybe 1-3 overnighters a season! If she relented and gave me a fishing pass, I had to be home within 3-4hrs, even then you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. The destruction of the fishing tackle tipped it over the edge really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ouchthathurt said:

My ex hated me fishing, to the point that I only used to get in maybe 1-3 overnighters a season! If she relented and gave me a fishing pass, I had to be home within 3-4hrs, even then you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. The destruction of the fishing tackle tipped it over the edge really. 

One of my ex used to turn up at the water to check I was fishing we would argue after a few months of it and a major argument I went over a friends not far from where we lived he asked me to tell my cousin to stop parking behind his car every Thursday just so happens that was my fishing day needless to say I caught them she’s gone an I’m a Christmas card better off 😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yonny said:

That's tricky mate.

What she needs to understand is that it's more than a hobby. It's a passion. Not something that can be given up just like that.

But at the same time we all need to see things from their perspective. Carping is ultimately a selfish pastime. We disappear, and plough whatever we can into catching carp, at every opportunity we think we can get away with it.

It's about balance and compromise. You need to work together because "fishing or me" is never going to end well.

Spot on, 

I'm reigning it in for now, partly in the hope lockdown eases and we can all start getting back to normal,the misses is finding it tough and I'm trying to help as much as i can, it will get better one day won't it? 

but selfishly the weather isn't great and if I have been fishing in the winter that may impact on the better parts of the year when it's easier to catch em 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Spot on, 

I'm reigning it in for now, partly in the hope lockdown eases and we can all start getting back to normal,the misses is finding it tough and I'm trying to help as much as i can, it will get better one day won't it? 

but selfishly the weather isn't great and if I have been fishing in the winter that may impact on the better parts of the year when it's easier to catch em 😂

Yes mate I think everyone is struggling at the minute but now that we have a vaccine there is light at the end of the tunnel so to speak 👍👍 just hopefully the restrictions ease soon, I think we are all starting to get a bit of cabin fever and all the staying in is starting to take its toll 👎 but I really do think we are through the worst of it now mate so hopefully not long until we are bit back to normal 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, crusian said:

Sounds like a right Psycho. , lucky she didn't take a knife to you , Ouch , because that would have hurt .

😁

Been there, done that, went back to it, tried to make the relationship work, and failed. 

Liz actually used to enjoy fishing together, us and the children. Come to that I know my son was conceived in a bivvy... 

 

She just couldn't understand fishing was important for me to unwind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jh92 said:

Yes mate I think everyone is struggling at the minute but now that we have a vaccine there is light at the end of the tunnel so to speak 👍👍 just hopefully the restrictions ease soon, I think we are all starting to get a bit of cabin fever and all the staying in is starting to take its toll 👎 but I really do think we are through the worst of it now mate so hopefully not long until we are bit back to normal 👍

Fingers crossed 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...