Jump to content

What’s the difference between...


Recommended Posts

I’m new to both I just wondered if there was any difference as they look the same. I was told by someone they are the same it’s just the short hook length that is called the chod. I’m fishing a lake I’m unsure of the bottom so was thinking pva bag rig, chod rig or heli rig ?? Not sure which would be the best bet ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The basic set up of the chod/heli system or set up is the same mate, the “chod” aspect is the actual hooklink mate. It’s very short, used with a pop up. Check out some YouTube videos pal, they will make things a lot clearer. I use helicopter rigs almost exclusively, if fishing in weed, I just push the top bead up the leader to about 6-8” to allow the hooklink to slide up the leader which allows the hooklink to rest on the weed. Best thing is to work out what the bottom is made up of, if it’s weedy, try find a clear spot then use nice simple rigs. No need to over complicate things mate, especially if you’re just finding your feet. Simple rigs are the way forward, location of the fishes feeding areas is the most important, choose a decent bait that you have confidence in and stick to it, use pva bags if you have confidence in them as they can present well over many different bottoms, except thick weed in my experience. There’s lots of knowledgeable anglers on here, (I’ve been carping since 1993) and we will all try help you out! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, framey said:

A helicopter is a lead arrangement set up same as an in-line or lead clip etc

the chod is the rig part as is a snow man kd, ronnie, etc

 

its just always been called a helicopter rig for some strange reason lol

The helicopter name comes from the rig being able to spin around the mainline, like a helicopter. 

The chod as said is a form of helicopter, but with a short stiff hooklink, and usually a pop-up bait

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, framey said:

A helicopter is a lead arrangement set up same as an in-line or lead clip etc

the chod is the rig part as is a snow man kd, ronnie, etc

 

its just always been called a helicopter rig for some strange reason lol

The only reason it’s called a helicopter rig is it spins around in flight like a helicopter blades framey that’s it lol nothing really scientific 😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Simon Hinson said:

So which set up is the best and do both set ups work well over weed ??

A chod rig will help you be able to fish over, rougher bottoms like weed,chod debris effectively, its designed as a chuck anywhere rig, so as long as you have your top bead set up correctly  in theory it should present anywhere 

Personally in my opinion the longer the hooklink on a helicopter set up the more you take away the leads effectiveness to aid with hooking , 

I would rather use an inline or lead clip if possible, and I would work towards making holes in the weed with prebaiting then you can fish simple lead clip set ups or Pva bags on your cleaned spots and you will start to catch them, I became a fan of dropping the lead in weed last year after a run of hook pulls cost me 7 fish, dropping the lead makes it easier to control what the fish will do in weed as you have direct contact, and stops the lead bouncing about out in front of the fishes mouth whilst hooked, one of those fish still hurts today I know it was a biggun, I wish I had started dropping the lead sooner😢

I would use a chod if I didn't know what the bottom was like, but I would rather know what I was fishing over and use the correct rig for it, 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

A chod rig will help you be able to fish over, rougher bottoms like weed,chod debris effectively, its designed as a chuck anywhere rig, so as long as you have your top bead set up correctly  in theory it should present anywhere 

Personally in my opinion the longer the hooklink on a helicopter set up the more you take away the leads effectiveness to aid with hooking , 

I would rather use an inline or lead clip if possible, and I would work towards making holes in the weed with prebaiting then you can fish simple lead clip set ups or Pva bags on your cleaned spots and you will start to catch them, I became a fan of dropping the lead in weed last year after a run of hook pulls cost me 7 fish, dropping the lead makes it easier to control what the fish will do in weed as you have direct contact, and stops the lead bouncing about out in front of the fishes mouth whilst hooked, one of those fish still hurts today I know it was a biggun, I wish I had started dropping the lead sooner😢

I would use a chod if I didn't know what the bottom was like, but I would rather know what I was fishing over and use the correct rig for it, 

 

Good advice elmo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Simon Hinson said:

So which set up is the best and do both set ups work well over weed ??

I actually don't like helicopter set-ups near weed. I found I got a high number of lost fish to hook pulls. 

I prefer a run ring with a lead link attached to the lead as per 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Carpmaster said:

The only reason it’s called a helicopter rig is it spins around in flight like a helicopter blades framey that’s it lol nothing really scientific 😂😂

I know what a helicopter set up is  lol

its still not a rig as far as I’m concerned

the rig is the bit that catches the fish whether a it’s a chod,ronnie or line aligner

the helicopter is a type of lead set up that the rig spins around on 

I’m just being pedantic 😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, framey said:

I’m just being pedantic

No you're not mate. You're speaking sense.

A heli is a leader/lead set-up.

A chod is a rig.

On 28/02/2021 at 12:08, Simon Hinson said:

What is if there is any difference between a chod rig set up an a helicopter rig set up an where would be the best please to use both please ?

A chod has to be fished on a heli set-up to make use of its limited advantages (those being presentation over substrates that cannot otherwise be fished). But any rig can be used on a heli.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yonny said:

No you're not mate. You're speaking sense.

A heli is a leader/lead set-up.

A chod is a rig.

A chod has to be fished on a heli set-up to make use of its limited advantages (those being presentation over substrates that cannot otherwise be fished). But any rig can be used on a heli.

Has anyone ever tried a chod rig on a lead clip or inline? could be great direct to the lead 🤔

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Has anyone ever tried a chod rig on a lead clip or inline? could be great direct to the lead

I have heard of them fished off the lead but for me that accentuates all of the rigs many flaws. Over anything but the cleanest/hardest substrates you need a boom i.e the stiff hinge rig. I cannot think of a single advantage to fishing a chod off a clip/inline. I can think of loads of disadvantages though mate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, yonny said:

I have heard of them fished off the lead but for me that accentuates all of the rigs many flaws. Over anything but the cleanest/hardest substrates you need a boom i.e the stiff hinge rig. I cannot think of a single advantage to fishing a chod off a clip/inline. I can think of loads of disadvantages though mate.

I could also see a lot of disadvantages it would be a waste of time in a lot situations 😂

but in the right situation they would struggle to deal with it, you would need to drop the lead though I think, but it would just be that bit different to what they are used too, maybe even use a bag to slow it down in the water, I don't like bags with pop ups in as a rule but a blatent chod might be something else 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

I could also see a lot of disadvantages it would be a waste of time in a lot situations 😂

but in the right situation they would struggle to deal with it, you would need to drop the lead though I think, but it would just be that bit different to what they are used too, maybe even use a bag to slow it down in the water, I don't like bags with pop ups in as a rule but a blatent chod might be something else 😂

I’ve allways thought of a rig incorporating a little bit of elastic to pull the hook home before it disengages allowing the rig as normal but it’s to late the hook is home 🧐🧐wonder how the sitters would deal with it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Carpmaster said:

I’ve allways thought of a rig incorporating a little bit of elastic to pull the hook home before it disengages allowing the rig as normal but it’s to late the hook is home 🧐🧐wonder how the sitters would deal with it

A couple of people do things with elastic I've seen, 

Steve reynard has his hermit rig 

https://www.carpology.net/article/features/steve-renyard-bucking-the-trend/

There's the Nora rig 

https://gardnertackle.co.uk/2020/04/carp-fishing-bloomin-nora-part-2-adam-whittington/

I've never tried either but it may help whet your whistle 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

A couple of people do things with elastic I've seen, 

Steve reynard has his hermit rig 

https://www.carpology.net/article/features/steve-renyard-bucking-the-trend/

There's the Nora rig 

https://gardnertackle.co.uk/2020/04/carp-fishing-bloomin-nora-part-2-adam-whittington/

I've never tried either but it may help whet your whistle 👍

Interesting elmo not the way I was thinking of doing it but very interesting thank you mucka 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

in the right situation they would struggle to deal with it

Expand mate. In what situation do you think it would be tricky to deal with?

It's basically just a hinge without the boom that allows the hookbait to be taken when mr carp sucks (as we all know they feed by sucking/blowing). They'd have to be suicidal to get hooked on it imo😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, yonny said:

Expand mate. In what situation do you think it would be tricky to deal with?

It's basically just a hinge without the boom that allows the hookbait to be taken when mr carp sucks (as we all know they feed by sucking/blowing). They'd have to be suicidal to get hooked on it imo😅

I just think literally they would suck it in, struggle to blow it out due to the stiffness of the rig, tilt up and the lead would sink the hook home, I just think the lead comes into play as soon as the hook is in the fishes mouth and it gets pricked, it's not getting the time a boom section allows it before the lead does its job, 

Why are PVA bags so effective? , if the carp is quick enough there may be a big pile of pellets and a nice neat hookbait bundle,like you see in tank test videos,but usually the small fish will ruin that in seconds,personally I think the short hooklink has a lot to do with it, 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

I just think literally they would suck it in, struggle to blow it out due to the stiffness of the rig, tilt up and the lead would sink the hook home, I just think the lead comes into play as soon as the hook is in the fishes mouth and it gets pricked, it's not getting the time a boom section allows it before the lead does its job, 

Why are PVA bags so effective? , if the carp is quick enough there may be a big pile of pellets and a nice neat hookbait bundle,like you see in tank test videos,but usually the small fish will ruin that in seconds,personally I think the short hooklink has a lot to do with it, 

 

I think what yonny is saying is that it can not be sucked in. There is no play in the rig. The carp would have to literally have to swim up to it and stick its mouth over the hookbait and rig and then tilt back. Seeing that carp suck and blow to gather food etc into their mouth then the chance of a hook up would be very slim. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I think what yonny is saying is that it can not be sucked in. There is no play in the rig. The carp would have to literally have to swim up to it and stick its mouth over the hookbait and rig and then tilt back. Seeing that carp suck and blow to gather food etc into their mouth then the chance of a hook up would be very slim. 

This👆

 

7 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

Why are PVA bags so effective?

They use a supple hook link that give the hookbait movement and allows it to be sucked in👍

I think that even in the perfect situation (heavy weed) the chod rig has LOTS of flaws. But it's the only possible to way to fish that type of area effectively. To use it outside of that situation just accentuates most of those flaws imo. There is no logical reason to use it apart from chucking at showing fish when you're not 100% on the substrate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...