Hey everyone,

My name is Reece and I have a fairly typical angling story. I’m based in Thurrock, Essex. The first time I went fishing, I was about 10. My dad and uncle took me, and I used a little whip. I remember catching more fish than both of them, and I was hooked (excuse the pun). I quickly progressed in to carp fishing, and dad taught me everything I needed to know (thanks dad). At this point, I would consider myself a pleasure angler. If i thought an area looked like it will hold fish, I would cast a PVA bag or a stick threaded down my hook link at it.

Life ended up getting in the way, my fishing gear got stollen, and I stopped fishing for about 12 years. I completed a 4 year engineering apprenticeship, and worked for a few years as a C&I technician at a few different power stations and waste management sites. I ended up getting diagnosed with several mental health disorders and had a couple of bad breakdowns. I hit rock bottom, turned to drugs and my life seemed over, but some how I mustered the will power to turn my life back around again. I started fishing again about 3 years ago, and the wellbeing benefits has been unbelievable. My anxiety and depression seem to disappear when I’m on the bank, especially when doing a 48hour+, I don't even need to catch, I just need to take in the atmosphere and enjoy nature. 

I have also been making my own bait for about a year now. My engineering has really helped out with calculating recipes, but not as much as this forum, and several other resources. I have been reading this forum for almost a year now, but my anxiety has held me back from reaching out. I am mentally fit now, and I would like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone so far, even if I haven’t spoke to you, you have helped me massively. 

I am having a complete change of my career. I now want to share the health benefits of fishing with as many people as possible. I completed my level 1 angling coaching course today, and I will be sitting my level 2 soon, hopefully. I will be offering angling tuition to people suffering with their mental health. My tuition will be offered at mental health centres along with art therapy, mindfulness groups, etc, so my clients will get the tuition funded for them. I will also be volunteering each week. 

I plan to use my own bait for my tuition, in fact I can’t remember the last time I used a shop bought bait. I find that fishing is excellent for my mental health while I’m on the bank, but when I’m at home, the bait keeps my fishing brain ticking over. I love tweaking and trying new ingredients, its a hobby itself. 

Sorry for such a long message, I feel like I owe it to you for all your help so far.  

Good morning mate and welcome to the forum, big well done for getting yourself to where you are mate, mental health challenges are not easy to overcome, I was diagnosed with PTSD after afghan and went down the drink/drug route too. The love of a good woman and my counsellor suggesting I start carp fishing again, plus the help and support of family (who upgraded all my gear, amongst countless other things) got me back on my feet again. Congratulations on your angling coach qualification and very best of luck with everything, this is a very chilled out forum with lots of knowledgeable people here, so post away! 

Welcome Reece 

Glad to see you have come out the other side OK, good for you to be able to turn it all around and make positive changes like that, not an easy feat, I am just getting to the end of a 48 hour blank 😂 but I do think it has helped being away from all the day to day stuff and outside in the fresh air 

Good luck with your targets and enjoy the forum 

👍

On 13/04/2021 at 03:38, The Carpy Vikings said:

Hey everyone,

My name is Reece and I have a fairly typical angling story. I’m based in Thurrock, Essex. The first time I went fishing, I was about 10. My dad and uncle took me, and I used a little whip. I remember catching more fish than both of them, and I was hooked (excuse the pun). I quickly progressed in to carp fishing, and dad taught me everything I needed to know (thanks dad). At this point, I would consider myself a pleasure angler. If i thought an area looked like it will hold fish, I would cast a PVA bag or a stick threaded down my hook link at it.

Life ended up getting in the way, my fishing gear got stollen, and I stopped fishing for about 12 years. I completed a 4 year engineering apprenticeship, and worked for a few years as a C&I technician at a few different power stations and waste management sites. I ended up getting diagnosed with several mental health disorders and had a couple of bad breakdowns. I hit rock bottom, turned to drugs and my life seemed over, but some how I mustered the will power to turn my life back around again. I started fishing again about 3 years ago, and the wellbeing benefits has been unbelievable. My anxiety and depression seem to disappear when I’m on the bank, especially when doing a 48hour+, I don't even need to catch, I just need to take in the atmosphere and enjoy nature. 

I have also been making my own bait for about a year now. My engineering has really helped out with calculating recipes, but not as much as this forum, and several other resources. I have been reading this forum for almost a year now, but my anxiety has held me back from reaching out. I am mentally fit now, and I would like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone so far, even if I haven’t spoke to you, you have helped me massively. 

I am having a complete change of my career. I now want to share the health benefits of fishing with as many people as possible. I completed my level 1 angling coaching course today, and I will be sitting my level 2 soon, hopefully. I will be offering angling tuition to people suffering with their mental health. My tuition will be offered at mental health centres along with art therapy, mindfulness groups, etc, so my clients will get the tuition funded for them. I will also be volunteering each week. 

I plan to use my own bait for my tuition, in fact I can’t remember the last time I used a shop bought bait. I find that fishing is excellent for my mental health while I’m on the bank, but when I’m at home, the bait keeps my fishing brain ticking over. I love tweaking and trying new ingredients, its a hobby itself. 

Sorry for such a long message, I feel like I owe it to you for all your help so far.  

Good to hear your doing well and it’s really nice to hear your putting your experience to use and showing others good on you and best of luck