Jump to content

Reality of carp fishing


Slepy
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 28/07/2021 at 10:06, Carpbell_ll said:

you are right in what you are saying and a good homemade bait will always out fish a retail bait the problems start on British waters mainly due to the choices the carp have they get the best bait, mountains of high grade freebies then there is the lakes own food which is what most larger carp mainly feed on, they really are spolit for choice, they become selective in what they will eat even when very hungry. 

I would disagree with part of that, as there are some very good baits available on retail. 

The big difference is pressured and unpressured waters. Most waters in America are unpressured, carp will eat anything, it is pressure that can get them to switch. The other thing that many anglers don't understand is 'overstocked'. 

An overstocked water the fish may need to eat anything and everything to survive. Compare that to waters rich in natural food, you might need to increase the amount you feed, or the quality. (particles vs good food boilie). 

 

What is good angling vs luck? 

A mate of mine walked round the lake last week, saw fish in the margin feeding, carefully and quietly put his rods onto them and had 2 stockie doubles that night. Good angling I say. 

 

I'm fishing around more often, trying to learn swims, putting hours in, and at the same time learn the movements of the originals. I haven't had the luck YET. 

As much as I want to catch I'm learning things for later, although I do feel at times I am chasing my tail

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think why fishing is such a popular sport is that a complete novice can go onto a water for the first time with the most basic of cheap tackle and bait and catch a large fish with a pub chunk…I feel that’s luck…but to catch fish regular comes with experience and willingness of learning from your mistakes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, B B said:

I think why fishing is such a popular sport is that a complete novice can go onto a water for the first time with the most basic of cheap tackle and bait and catch a large fish with a pub chunk…I feel that’s luck…but to catch fish regular comes with experience and willingness of learning from your mistakes. 

This is where I think overstocked waters do more harm than good, giving a false impression. 

There is a difference between catching a few roach and perch to keep the interest to catching carp and starting with a big fish to beat your 'pb'. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/07/2021 at 14:51, salokcinnodrog said:

I would disagree with part of that, as there are some very good baits available on retail. 

The big difference is pressured and unpressured waters. Most waters in America are unpressured, carp will eat anything, it is pressure that can get them to switch. The other thing that many anglers don't understand is 'overstocked'. 

An overstocked water the fish may need to eat anything and everything to survive. Compare that to waters rich in natural food, you might need to increase the amount you feed, or the quality. (particles vs good food boilie). 

 

What is good angling vs luck? 

A mate of mine walked round the lake last week, saw fish in the margin feeding, carefully and quietly put his rods onto them and had 2 stockie doubles that night. Good angling I say. 

 

I'm fishing around more often, trying to learn swims, putting hours in, and at the same time learn the movements of the originals. I haven't had the luck YET. 

As much as I want to catch I'm learning things for later, although I do feel at times I am chasing my tail

The lake I'm on is small but there are on six pegs all on one side of the lake you can't see anyone else it's like you always have the lake to yourself my perfect venue I can only do so long on open view waters these days where everyone is facing each other, does anoy me when newish  angler's only got into carp fishing to chase chunks and quote numbers I got into carp fishing by accident went to get some pike tackle for the canal probably in mid summer that was malc rookers shop, I came out a carp angler... not my call I blame Malc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On luck always better to be a lucky angler than a good angler I don't know how but on most of the waters I have fished I do tend to get into the larger ones some of the fish I had out of pine pool where all one of a kind due to how old they are in there one of the few waters with proper black commons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

On luck always better to be a lucky angler than a good angler I don't know how but on most of the waters I have fished I do tend to get into the larger ones some of the fish I had out of pine pool where all one of a kind due to how old they are in there one of the few waters with proper black commons. 

If you tend to "get into the larger ones" then in my opinion that is good angling.  Is it luck you fish the right spots, use the right rigs etc etc, not for me. That's all down to good angling.

Don't get me wrong, i used to think the same but I'd find the fish, find the spot, apply bait correctly and present my bait in an acceptable way,  no luck involved there, just good angling.  Is that big headed, no it's a fact. I'd rather be a good angler than a lucky one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

On luck always better to be a lucky angler than a good angler I don't know how but on most of the waters I have fished I do tend to get into the larger ones some of the fish I had out of pine pool where all one of a kind due to how old they are in there one of the few waters with proper black commons. 

I don't think that is luck, more like good angling. 

If it was only the occasional big fish over small ones then I would say luck, but if you are consistently catching big fish then good angling. 

 

The more you understand, the harder you work, then the 'luckier' you get. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, emmcee said:

If you tend to "get into the larger ones" then in my opinion that is good angling.  Is it luck you fish the right spots, use the right rigs etc etc, not for me. That's all down to good angling.

Don't get me wrong, i used to think the same but I'd find the fish, find the spot, apply bait correctly and present my bait in an acceptable way,  no luck involved there, just good angling.  Is that big headed, no it's a fact. I'd rather be a good angler than a lucky one. 

It's not luck it's good angling, 

If you think about it how do you improve as an angler if everytime you catch of don't catch its down to luck, good or bad,

it isn't it is down to what you have done well or badly, 

I do think there are elements of good fortune, that can help you but ultimately they are things you learn or have learnt to use to your advantage when you see them, 

I think there are shortcuts nowadays that make it easier to level up though, everyone now has access to the best baits, sharpest hooks,even decent ready tied rigs, big fish in loads of waters all over the place some more accessible than others, best of everything if you can afford it, I could book a week on Holme Fen or somewhere and maybe obliterate my PB but it wouldn't mean that much to me, I earnt my PB and that's all that matters to me, hopefully I will have earnt the next one too 😁

But we live in a much more instant disposable world nowadays, I still think a 20lber is a big fish, and long may that continue 👍

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

It's not luck it's good angling, 

If you think about it how do you improve as an angler if everytime you catch of don't catch its down to luck, good or bad,

it isn't it is down to what you have done well or badly, 

I do think there are elements of good fortune, that can help you but ultimately they are things you learn or have learnt to use to your advantage when you see them, 

I think there are shortcuts nowadays that make it easier to level up though, everyone now has access to the best baits, sharpest hooks,even decent ready tied rigs, big fish in loads of waters all over the place some more accessible than others, best of everything if you can afford it, I could book a week on Holme Fen or somewhere and maybe obliterate my PB but it wouldn't mean that much to me, I earnt my PB and that's all that matters to me, hopefully I will have earnt the next one too 😁

But we live in a much more instant disposable world nowadays, I still think a 20lber is a big fish, and long may that continue 👍

 

 

 

 

I agree exactly.

The ability to assess, learn and correct without going round in circles or up your own bottom is good angling. Chopping and changing every trip and then catching but not knowing why is luck. 

 

I honestly think that too many angler's are given a false perception of what they can achieve; overstocked waters, or even waters jam packed full of big fish at credit card prices. 

Like

@elmoputney I think I earnt my largest fish, I learnt the water, learnt the fish, and caught plenty on the way. My previous largest was lucky. 

Turn up on a lake, come up with a unique rig and set-up, find a feature, put some bait to it, and first fish, catch a PB. 

The next 'PB' was fishing through the year, catching most sessions, and realising where the fish were hiding in December. 

I don't think that just turning up on a Holme Fen, to catch a new largest fish is the way forward. I want to have earnt my next PB. 

By the way I don't necessarily think my largest fish is a PB, I still class that as a 28lb carp from the river

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

After 50+ years carp fishing if I've learned anything its: Fish on your own terms.  By that I mean heed good advice, but try to think for yourself, and don't judge your results against others. As long as you enjoy the day, feel you're doing the best, then accept other people have different values and skills.  I'd also suggest with no disrespect to anyone on this forum offering help. But I'm convinced some people do all their fishing through forums, and rarely go carp fishing at all, or in the past. They are always on and the first to answer any questions, regardless of the time of day, maybe they don't work either. Trust people but don't take everything people say as right al the time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...