Jump to content

New venue tips


Ark79
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just got a membership for a new venue, visited it twice and blanked both times 

first time I used the old fateful mono hair with a running ledger on a meter of dark matter tubing, great rig…however I felt it was digging in to deep, seemed like I was dragging it out the silt/chod ….. stuck with it tho lol 

second trip I used solid bags with 6mm and 4mm pellets with a waffter hook bait, 12 hours and one semi run/liner , nowt, nada, nothing lol 

so the next time will be overnight and the Ronny/spiner rig pop up with a small pva mesh bag, hopefully a better choice 👍🏻
 

whats your thoughts?  Am I over thinking this ? Should I have stayed with the bag or does the spinner rig have the vote…. 
 

I would naked chod it , but I think that’s a tad over kill 🤷🏼‍♂️ 
 

im very indecisive 🤔😂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

two on the bottom one pooped up all on combis i used a new to me pop up arrangement recently nice and neat but a bit out the normal so keeping to myself as i don't think it would get a good review. but it makes casting a single hook bait on braid combis near tangle proof and well weighted before adding a little shot to the braid length, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only ever use 2 rigs...

1st is Spinner /Ronnie - 2 or 3 tied on ESP Tungsten braid & 2 or 3 crimped onto Korda Boom... 

2nd is a loop to loop combi rig, Korda Boom crimped both ends and 1 inch stripped braid section 

Both rigs I use Nash claw hooks with a bait screw. 

Depending on lake bed bottom, on which rig is ude and both are used for Pop Ups, Water and bottom Baits. 

I've changed between different set ups, but always go back to the trusted lead clip system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ark79 said:

Just got a membership for a new venue, visited it twice and blanked both times 

first time I used the old fateful mono hair with a running ledger on a meter of dark matter tubing, great rig…however I felt it was digging in to deep, seemed like I was dragging it out the silt/chod ….. stuck with it tho lol 

second trip I used solid bags with 6mm and 4mm pellets with a waffter hook bait, 12 hours and one semi run/liner , nowt, nada, nothing lol 

so the next time will be overnight and the Ronny/spiner rig pop up with a small pva mesh bag, hopefully a better choice 👍🏻
 

whats your thoughts?  Am I over thinking this ? Should I have stayed with the bag or does the spinner rig have the vote…. 
 

I would naked chod it , but I think that’s a tad over kill 🤷🏼‍♂️ 
 

im very indecisive 🤔😂

 

What venue is it pal? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ark79 said:

Yeah sorry lol 

in Scotland mate , not a big venue but it holds some nice fish… should come up on google search 

Just having a Google now... 

That's some good prices that 😳

Screenshot_20210806_091146_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d53180171619d4f5f01f2c89eeba1950.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ark79 said:


pretty reasonable around these parts mate 😁 however cheeper would be better 😂

I wouldn't grumble at them. Prices for that place, some nice looked after fish in there. 

I'd buy myself and my lad a 24hr ticket. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Highy said:

I wouldn't grumble at them. Prices for that place, some nice looked after fish in there. 

I'd buy myself and my lad a 24hr ticket. 

The guys that run the place are spot on 👍🏻 Very helpful…. Well maintained and I believe there adding a tackle and bait shop there.. 

just need to catch there now 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am only fishing one rod at the moment, that’s changing tho, just have to convince her indoors that I need new rods 🤔🤣 that and new bivvie and sleep system 😧 could be a challenge 😁

 

Me thinks a spinner rig for the next trip and possibly a wee overnight’er 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ark79 said:

The guys that run the place are spot on 👍🏻 Very helpful…. Well maintained and I believe there adding a tackle and bait shop there.. 

just need to catch there now 😂

Yeh, shows pictures of the bait/tackle are on Facebook page, also the Glamping pods on the lake. 

1 picture shows 7 bivvys next door to each other, must get hammered? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Highy said:

Yeh, shows pictures of the bait/tackle are on Facebook page, also the Glamping pods on the lake. 

1 picture shows 7 bivvys next door to each other, must get hammered? 

 

 

Clamping pods ?  Not on Facebook buddy but I didn’t see any there , must be something for the near future.. prefer the bivvie lol 

yeah a think it gets hammered a few times during the year, love a challenge me 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Ark79 said:

Clamping pods ?  Not on Facebook buddy but I didn’t see any there , must be something for the near future.. prefer the bivvie lol 

yeah a think it gets hammered a few times during the year, love a challenge me 😂

Yeh, Glamping pods, I'm not on Facebook either, but if you type it in on Google it let's you browse it... 

I think keeping it simple at first, and ask around on the lake or even the owners, I think they would want people to catch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Highy said:

Yeh, Glamping pods, I'm not on Facebook either, but if you type it in on Google it let's you browse it... 

I think keeping it simple at first, and ask around on the lake or even the owners, I think they would want people to catch. 


simple is thi middle name buddy 😁 will ask about as you say, can only help 👍🏻
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/08/2021 at 15:33, dayvid said:

My go too lead weight in silt is 1oz , maybe give that a try.

Was using 2oz  and it was definitely sinking in lol  so I think I will take your advice mate cheers 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/08/2021 at 21:19, Ark79 said:

whats your thoughts?  Am I over thinking this ? Should I have stayed with the bag or does the spinner rig have the vote…. 

None of it matters unless you were on the fish and you haven't mentioned this mate. Were you seeing activity on your spots? Were they defo feeding over you? Your focus should be on getting the swim/spot right. The rig should be chosen to suit the area on which they're feeding👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, yonny said:

None of it matters unless you were on the fish and you haven't mentioned this mate. Were you seeing activity on your spots? Were they defo feeding over you? Your focus should be on getting the swim/spot right. The rig should be chosen to suit the area on which they're feeding👍


good point mate ,  there was activity for the most part of the day… at one point there was 3 rolls directly over my bait 🤷🏼‍♂️ 
 

since spoke to the owner and I was fishing over heavy silt so my solid bag must have been way under, there was a slight resistance when retrieving the rig, all part of the fun tho…. Wouldn’t appeal if it was chuck and hook 😁 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ark79 said:

at one point there was 3 rolls directly over my bait 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Defo on them then mate.

Silt is a funny one. When carp feed in silt they don't just grub around on top, they bury themselves gill deep to get at the bloodworm it contains. Therefore it shouldn't really matter if you're hook bait is buried in the silt. That said, it can be tricky to feel confident when you know your bait is buried. I'd just start with a slightly longer hooklink than usual and go from there. Pepper some pellets over the top, job done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, yonny said:

Defo on them then mate.

Silt is a funny one. When carp feed in silt they don't just grub around on top, they bury themselves gill deep to get at the bloodworm it contains. Therefore it shouldn't really matter if you're hook bait is buried in the silt. That said, it can be tricky to feel confident when you know your bait is buried. I'd just start with a slightly longer hooklink than usual and go from there. Pepper some pellets over the top, job done.


sounds like a plan to me mate cheers for the advice 😁 

every time they showed I rubbed my hands and sat up on the chair 😂 only to slouch back down in defeat 😂 

but sitting there in conflict with myself over my rig isn’t on lol so I have to change that 😁

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When fishing deep silt I nearly always use the chod rig.  I'll use a length of leadcore to suit the slits depth and add a couple of feet. Set the top bead a couple of inches down from where your mainline is tied to the leadcore and the rig is always fishing. Used this method on a gravel pit  where the fish would regularly visit an area where the old gravel wash was, the silt here was 3ft plus deep in places and when the fish were there the water was the colour of milky tea. The fish could be from 20yds out to 100yds out in this area. The further out then I'd plump for a 3.5oz lead, when that is buried In 3ft of silt it becomes one hell of a bolt rig. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...