Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
birdy247x1

Fishing a silty churned up lake. Help!!

Just signed up to my local angling membership. One of the waters has a good head of carp.

The water is long and thin. Shallow at one end, gradually getting deeper towards the other. After reeling in my baits they always stink! and when slowly dragging the lead along the bottom i can feel silt!

The water is also a very very mudy colour, so its near impossible to see more than a few iches below the sirface.

What would you guys recommend for tackling this lake? Should i find the depth of the silt, if so how??

Also, will baits need to be stronger, i.e. higher flavour levels in order for the fish to sense them in the murky water.

Any help on this one would be welcome!! I fished there when younger and always got a few good carp. Now i want to tackle it properly and go for the 20's in there.

Thanks

Find out where the Carp feed!

If the silt is black and smelly then its likely that the Carp will not be feeding in it, but taking a mouthful and then moving away as quick as possible to avoid the noxious gases that come up.

If the silt is more brown and clean then the carp will feed in it more comfortably.

Way to find the depth of the silt, cast out a Marker float lead with a length of white wool tied from the lead then leave it out for about 30minutes. When you retrieve the wool will be coloured to the depth of the silt (less the angle of casting).

Do not change the flavour levels of your bait. The flavour levels are worked out by the Bait Company at a specific level for a reason. You put in more than the recommended level and the flavour could actually repel the carp. If you want to change your bait slightly then make it more buoyant so that it does not sink so deep into the silt.

To do this experiment a little with amounts of Buoyant ingredients, Shrimp Meal, Sodium Caseinate or even Pop-up mix can all be used, added to the base mix to make a bait more buoyant.

Finally the silt rig may be an option, but not always the best. It can give rise to funny indications. Look at the rig tying sticky, there is a set-up that is suitable for silt in there.

In Silt because of the possibility of the lead plugging into the silt you may find that you can reduce the amount of lead that you use. If you have been using 3oz leads, then it is possible that you can drop down to 1oz depending on shape.

Nashbait produce The Fen Mix which is designed for silty lakes, it's completely saturated so the silt can't soak into it. Never used it myself though.

I'm fishing a silty one at the moment, and i'm just putting everything in a solid PVA bag and chucking it out. Thankfully i'm starting to identify feeding spots and a couple of bloodworm beds now, so things should get easier! :D

I have been fishing a silty lake for 3 years now and have had alot of success.

I tend to spod hemp, pellets and chopped boilies into the brown cleaner silty areas. The black smelly silt as Nick said is rarely productive despite containing naturals.

I have never felt the need to use a pop up or buoyant bait because carp love getting down into the silt and churning it up.

Also try to find non silty patches such as gravel or bars. These would provide an alternative feeding area for the carp.

On a similar lake in london, loads of trees around it always loosing their leaves so the bottom is black with silt.....from the years of the trees dumping in the water. Any more tips appreciated as well as not used to fishing really silty lakes...only recently started fishing this one!

hi bud what is the lake called as or the membership you have joined as it sounds exactly the same as a water on the club i fish

The water is calle roosthole in West Sussex.

It is surrounded by trees, so i reckon there is years and years of leaves/branches on the floor bed. Some 1 mentioned a bloodworm patch above.

How do i locate these, if there are any at all?. I did notice an area where bubble were rising, not sure if this was feeding fish or not??

Tips/advice welcome

Thanks

Locating a Bloodworm bed is a case of luck and hard work. You have to spend plenty of time with the Marker Rod plumbing the venue. There is a chance that using an (uncoated) lead the bloodworm will stick to the lead or the bottom link or swivel. Its also possible that they will get impaled on the hook when fishing, or even in your tubing.

Also with an uncoated lead you will find out what type of silt it is.

In Silty waters bubbles rising are not a dead cert for fish feeding. The Bottom will release gases naturally.

Im pretty sure the bottom is featureless. However there are alot of over hanging trees etc... The thing about this lake is that to get to on eside you have to walk all the way around the lake.

Would a good starting poin be going around to the other side to fish the margins under the trees? (Dont see many anglers over there, however alot of people cast leads from the main side over to this side)

Also, what is an uncoaed lead? Plain lead? How will this show me the type of silt? Sorry for so many questions!

I really want to crack this water!

Uncoated Lead, a lead with no coating on it. Lead with no camo paint or plastic coating.

When you cast it in with the marker (or lead about), then the lead will penetrate into the silt. As you reel in then some of the silt will stick to the lead. It works best with a lead with no camo or protective coating.

As for going over to the other side, if you think its a good idea then try it. You may find you can get a better presentation, that your lead as it hits the bottom is not digging in so far due to the velocity behind it when casting the gap across.

Really think that you need to have a look and find where and what the Carp are feeding in first though.

Its not good fishing in the silt if the carp feed on top of it due to it being black and smelly. Its also no good fishing on it if the carp are happy feeding in it.

Right, im really gona explore this lake. Going up with a marker float and rod very soon.

Its so hard to actually see whats going on due to the nature of the water (extremly muddy). I have learned it is near a dirt bike track, when it rains and the dirt bikes are out on the track it pushes mud into the stream which enters the pond.

Due to the extreme rain recently, this has made the lake extremley muddy coloured. Still, i am confident i will find the fish (somehow!)

i fish a very very thick silty estate lake (with success!!!)

I use Sufix black silt braid with the skin removed.The hooklength is about 6-8 inches long.I tie a small PVA netting bag filled with 4 pieces of dissolvable PVA nuggets onto the end of the hook bait.I also use a 3/4 oz lead weight.......all this on a normal chod rig.

The idea being that the hookbait falls gently to the lake bed and then the PVA dissolves leaving the hookbait on the bed.I also have to use Dark or Black boilies due to the shallow water and the coots and ducks.

I've used helicopter rigs also but prefer the above method.

Best of luck.

i fish a very very thick silty estate lake (with success!!!)

I use Sufix black silt braid with the skin removed.The hooklength is about 6-8 inches long.I tie a small PVA netting bag filled with 4 pieces of dissolvable PVA nuggets onto the end of the hook bait.I also use a 3/4 oz lead weight.......all this on a normal chod rig.

The idea being that the hookbait falls gently to the lake bed and then the PVA dissolves leaving the hookbait on the bed.I also have to use Dark or Black boilies due to the shallow water and the coots and ducks.

I've used helicopter rigs also but prefer the above method.

Best of luck.

The SILT Rig ( its proper name, not Chod Rig :evil: ), is a form of Helicopter rig! The only difference is that the beads are not fixed in position, and the Hooklink can run up and down the Line