Jump to content

Introduction and a plea for help!


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, so here's a bit about me. I've been fishing since about the age of 6 and was absolutely addicted to it growing up, more often than not going every weekend up until my late teens. Then girls, pubs and eventually work got in the way and I became very much a fair weather fishermen only going a handful of times in a year. However, a few years ago I started going more regularly again and after 1 pretty good summer where I caught my pb (23.5lb grass carp) I decided to move away from my usual method of fishing one rod ledgering and another on the float and try to actively target carp. 

Cue the worst 2 seasons I've ever had in my life, can't catch a thing these last two years and I'm beginning to lose faith so I've come here to try and find out where I'm going wrong! I have a feeling I'm about to experience a pretty steep learning curve! 

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to talking to you all 👍

Cheers 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Chuffy01 said:

Hi everyone, so here's a bit about me. I've been fishing since about the age of 6 and was absolutely addicted to it growing up, more often than not going every weekend up until my late teens. Then girls, pubs and eventually work got in the way and I became very much a fair weather fishermen only going a handful of times in a year. However, a few years ago I started going more regularly again and after 1 pretty good summer where I caught my pb (23.5lb grass carp) I decided to move away from my usual method of fishing one rod ledgering and another on the float and try to actively target carp. 

Cue the worst 2 seasons I've ever had in my life, can't catch a thing these last two years and I'm beginning to lose faith so I've come here to try and find out where I'm going wrong! I have a feeling I'm about to experience a pretty steep learning curve! 

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to talking to you all 👍

Cheers 

To catch the fish 

you must become the fish 

 

old Chinese proverb lol

it happens don’t worry too much it’s been a horrible year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

Welcome to the forum.  I'd go back to what was working before.  The wheel doesn't always need reinventing, and the best catchers aren't always doing what everyone else is.

Thanks for the welcome 👍

Problem is what I was doing before would disgust most anglers... Mainline straight down to a size 12 hook or hair rig and a method feeder secured one end with a weight 😐 and freelining dog biscuits on a long shank hook, but it did kinda work I suppose! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, framey said:

To catch the fish 

you must become the fish 

 

old Chinese proverb lol

it happens don’t worry too much it’s been a horrible year 

Haha! I'm going to start eating boilies and pellets to channel my inner carp! 

The problem I guess I'm having is that I never seem to get runs. I'll get a single beep on the alarm and the line will pull out for a second and that's it??? I'm assuming it's either line bites or smaller fish playing with the bait? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

Welcome to the forum.  I'd go back to what was working before.  The wheel doesn't always need reinventing, and the best catchers aren't always doing what everyone else is.

 

17 hours ago, Chuffy01 said:

Hi everyone, so here's a bit about me. I've been fishing since about the age of 6 and was absolutely addicted to it growing up, more often than not going every weekend up until my late teens. Then girls, pubs and eventually work got in the way and I became very much a fair weather fishermen only going a handful of times in a year. However, a few years ago I started going more regularly again and after 1 pretty good summer where I caught my pb (23.5lb grass carp) I decided to move away from my usual method of fishing one rod ledgering and another on the float and try to actively target carp. 

Cue the worst 2 seasons I've ever had in my life, can't catch a thing these last two years and I'm beginning to lose faith so I've come here to try and find out where I'm going wrong! I have a feeling I'm about to experience a pretty steep learning curve! 

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to talking to you all 👍

Cheers 

Pretty much go back to what was working before. 

Remember how to feed, as you do on the float rod, little and often, or regular recasting with the feeder. 

That freelining dog biscuits is one of the best ways to catch carp. On a water I fish, freelined dog biscuits straight from the rod tip (that close(!)), is a very good Catcher. 

A mate regularly catches 20fish a day on freelined bread, half a slice at a time.  

In spring and summer, the method feeder catches well, as does fishing a float with sweetcorn. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

 

Pretty much go back to what was working before. 

Remember how to feed, as you do on the float rod, little and often, or regular recasting with the feeder. 

That freelining dog biscuits is one of the best ways to catch carp. On a water I fish, freelined dog biscuits straight from the rod tip (that close(!)), is a very good Catcher. 

A mate regularly catches 20fish a day on freelined bread, half a slice at a time.  

In spring and summer, the method feeder catches well, as does fishing a float with sweetcorn. 

 

I'd like to go back to using corn but I find small roach and skimmers always take it a few seconds after it hits the water, maybe try some larger fake corn perhaps? 

The lake I normally fish has a problem with ducks so can't really fish off the surface like I used to. I fished a different lake and the carp were taking off the top but they'd turn away as soon they approached my bait, and the few times they did take the doggie I couldn't hook them. So I'm thinking I might be getting my end tackle wrong somewhere? Too big a hook? Pop up too close/far from the hook? I'm not sure. But it's definitely getting frustrating as before I was catching plenty (especially off the surface) but now it seems no matter what I do I'm blanking 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...