Jump to content

8ft - 9ft retractable rod advice please


Recommended Posts

Ive had my 11ft carp rods since the 90s and am looking to reduce the size of my set up with extendable rods; the smaller the better! So I need some advice. So far Ive looked at the Nash Dwarf shrink 9ft 3lb tc, Sonik extractor recon 8ft 3lb tc, Daiwa crossfire 9ft 2.75lb tc but welcome any other suggestions. The lakes I fish dont require distance casting but do contain doubles up to 35lb so the rod must be capable of handling that should I be lucky enough to hook one. Also looking to reduce my luggage to suit if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/09/2021 at 22:46, Smurfitt said:

Ive had my 11ft carp rods since the 90s and am looking to reduce the size of my set up with extendable rods; the smaller the better! So I need some advice. So far Ive looked at the Nash Dwarf shrink 9ft 3lb tc, Sonik extractor recon 8ft 3lb tc, Daiwa crossfire 9ft 2.75lb tc but welcome any other suggestions. The lakes I fish dont require distance casting but do contain doubles up to 35lb so the rod must be capable of handling that should I be lucky enough to hook one. Also looking to reduce my luggage to suit if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Free spirit, do some tree creeper rods that might be nice, Sophie the carp catching kid uses them and catches some nice fish with them, 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Smurfitt said:

Thanks. To update I opted for the Sonik xtractor 8ft 3lb tc. They felt right and have a decent warranty. For £50 Im happy as my current 11ft rods cost me way over that back in 1990s.

I had some 10ft vader x before they weren't bad rods for the money really, 

@Highyis the Sonik specialist on here, his dog has a sponsorship deal with them 

I've broken one of the 50mm butt rings on my latest set of rods, so sooner or later i am going to need some more  😳😱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I had some 10ft vader x before they weren't bad rods for the money really, 

@Highyis the Sonik specialist on here, his dog has a sponsorship deal with them 

I've broken one of the 50mm butt rings on my latest set of rods, so sooner or later i am going to need some more  😳😱

I did have an Xtractor Setup for surface fishing for the summer, but that didn't last long, I did have it out once or twice, was abit weird as used to 12ft rods.... 

Been looking at scaling down to 10ft 2 piece rods myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Smurfitt said:

Thanks. To update I opted for the Sonik xtractor 8ft 3lb tc. They felt right and have a decent warranty. For £50 Im happy as my current 11ft rods cost me way over that back in 1990s.

I did have an Xtractor Setup for surface fishing for the summer, but that didn't last long, I did have it out once or twice, was abit weird as used to 12ft rods.... 

Mate caught his PB on it also, 21lb 12oz and he said it felt weird also. 

Been looking at scaling down to 10ft 2 piece rods myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

 

@Highyis the Sonik specialist on here 

Still waiting for the Trade Show video and new products... The AXS XL bivvy looks decent, inbetween a 1 man and 2 man, think its abit taller also, could do with some SKTek clothing range and a SKTek Buzz Bar Bag to complete the luggage setup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Highy said:

I did have an Xtractor Setup for surface fishing for the summer, but that didn't last long, I did have it out once or twice, was abit weird as used to 12ft rods.... 

Mate caught his PB on it also, 21lb 12oz and he said it felt weird also. 

Been looking at scaling down to 10ft 2 piece rods myself. 

There are a lot of times when I think I want some smaller rods, I remember the vaders feeling a bit odd for a while after 12ft ones, I think I just like a 12ft rod they just feel right I think , I still think I want some new ones though 🤔😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, elmoputney said:

There are a lot of times when I think I want some smaller rods, I remember the vaders feeling a bit odd for a while after 12ft ones, I think I just like a 12ft rod they just feel right I think , I still think I want some new ones though 🤔😂

I'm Looking at the Vader X RS for next rods. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Smurfitt said:

Well I now want a transporter. I know Sonik do one but any idea whether the 8ft xtractors will fit into the following:

Nash RT, Nash R9, Nash dwarf, Nash scope ops

Cheers

I'm not sure if they do but I seem to recall someone on here maybe @bluelabelhaving an issue with one retractable rod not fitting another bag , so it may be best to just go for the Sonik ones that will fit properly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks but several people who bought transporters have told me not to waste money. Apparently they are really heavy which stands to reason with the amount you would pack in them. I could use a trolley but its defeating the object really as the reason for getting a small set up was so its lightweight and compact to take in holidays. Ive decided to get the rod sleeves and the xtractor net. That reduces it all round so I can take a method feeder and have a selection if I need to change tactics.

Thanks for the help.

:0)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I brought one of these instead of a telescopic rod. Sorry it's a dated version but they do a newer Tribal version in 4 piece

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313680510015?hash=item4908d0bc3f:g:ZqQAAOSwvvhhJPyb

Great bit of kit, fits nicely into a suitcase. I've had various size shimano reels on it, but go with the 10000 bait runners for a nice balance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...