Jump to content

New set of reels


Recommended Posts

I'm after a set of big pit reels, can anyone recommend some to look at?

I've currently got shimano biomaster 8000 xta reels, but after 15 years they've got a bit battered, bail arms and springs need sorting so it's time to retire them lol. 

I'll mainly be fishing around 80 - 100 yard Mark 👍

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lately I've also been toying with the idea of new reels.... Either of the below in Shimano. 

Aerlex XTB 10000 £69.99

Speed master XTC 14000 £99.99

Ultegra XTD in either 5500 or 14000 £113.99 - £129.99

 

Edited by Highy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2022 at 15:12, jh92 said:

I'm after a set of big pit reels, can anyone recommend some to look at?

I've currently got shimano biomaster 8000 xta reels, but after 15 years they've got a bit battered, bail arms and springs need sorting so it's time to retire them lol. 

I'll mainly be fishing around 80 - 100 yard Mark 👍

 

Save yourself a bit of money and go for okuma 8k, they are the nuts, I will confidently say they are better than any other reel around that price bracket, certainly better than a shimano aerlex as I also own one of those, 

This is a cracking deal I paid £80 each for them and would again if I needed too I love them, smooth slow oscillation, long spool, just solid reels that come with a 5yr warranty 

https://parkfieldanglingcentre.com/collections/big-pit/products/okuma-8k?variant=31504247488623

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I nipped mates house while little en was at footy training, the Ultegra xtd 14000 are honestly the best looking and feel of any reel I've handled.

The occelation, feel, look, drag, line lay, clutch....OMG think I'm set on these reels now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Save yourself a bit of money and go for okuma 8k, they are the nuts, I will confidently say they are better than any other reel around that price bracket, certainly better than a shimano aerlex as I also own one of those, 

This is a cracking deal I paid £80 each for them and would again if I needed too I love them, smooth slow oscillation, long spool, just solid reels that come with a 5yr warranty 

https://parkfieldanglingcentre.com/collections/big-pit/products/okuma-8k?variant=31504247488623

I'm sold lol, can't fault the price. The only thing I was a little bit unsure about was the weight but the biomasters weigh a tonne anyway so shouldn't make a difference 😆 

Okuma didn't even come to mind when I was looking for reels even though we used to use them as kids, would pick a bait runner up for £30 lol. 

Thanks for the link, awesome deal 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jh92 said:

I'm sold lol, can't fault the price. The only thing I was a little bit unsure about was the weight but the biomasters weigh a tonne anyway so shouldn't make a difference 😆 

Okuma didn't even come to mind when I was looking for reels even though we used to use them as kids, would pick a bait runner up for £30 lol. 

Thanks for the link, awesome deal 👍

They aren't the lightest, but I don't find it a problem to be honest they are so smooth though and reliable though, they never seem to tangle line lay is beautiful, they are a pleasure to use tbh 

Edit the only other slight neg is the spools take a lot of line, I just got some cheap line off amazon to use as backing, problem solved 1 spool of hydrotuff now fills 3 reels 👍

Edited by elmoputney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

They aren't the lightest, but I don't find it a problem to be honest they are so smooth though and reliable though, they never seem to tangle line lay is beautiful, they are a pleasure to use tbh 

Edit the only other slight neg is the spools take a lot of line, I just got some cheap line off amazon to use as backing, problem solved 1 spool of hydrotuff now fills 3 reels 👍

The reels are 743g and the biomasters are 720g so not much difference 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get some second hand Daiwa Emblem ST - the old "gold" ones. They're cheap, reliable, and no one will bother nicking them. The line clips are pretty bad though. I reckon you can get a set of three off of ebay for about £200 tops. You can throw them in bushes, in the water, in mud, off a cliff, in font of an artic lorry on the M40 (don't do that), and you'll never care one bit.

Edited by Jone5y
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2022 at 15:12, jh92 said:

I've currently got shimano biomaster 8000 xta reels, but after 15 years they've got a bit battered, bail arms and springs need sorting so it's time to retire them lol. 

Why not just get them serviced?

They don't make them like they used to mate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2022 at 15:12, jh92 said:

I'm after a set of big pit reels, can anyone recommend some to look at?

I've currently got shimano biomaster 8000 xta reels, but after 15 years they've got a bit battered, bail arms and springs need sorting so it's time to retire them lol. 

I'll mainly be fishing around 80 - 100 yard Mark 👍

 

PROPER REELS!

I would get them serviced over buying new current models.

 

If you do decide to go new, of all the current Shimano range have a play with the current Beastmasters, but shop around for price. I think they are much better than anything over the £85 price range, including the Ultegras. 

That's from working in a tackle shop.

 

https://fish.shimano-eu.com/content/fish/eu/gb/en/homepage/Product-detail.P-BEASTMASTER_XB.html/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/05/2022 at 12:57, yonny said:

Why not just get them serviced?

They don't make them like they used to mate.

Which company would you use for a service? 

Looking at the reels, the bail arms aren't damaged as such, but they have dropped down, I think it might be the springs need replacing? 

 

On 06/05/2022 at 14:30, salokcinnodrog said:

PROPER REELS!

I would get them serviced over buying new current models.

 

If you do decide to go new, of all the current Shimano range have a play with the current Beastmasters, but shop around for price. I think they are much better than anything over the £85 price range, including the Ultegras. 

That's from working in a tackle shop.

 

https://fish.shimano-eu.com/content/fish/eu/gb/en/homepage/Product-detail.P-BEASTMASTER_XB.html/

 

They do hold a lot of memories lol. 

Can you recommend a place to get them serviced? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just found 4, ultegra 14000 XTD for £300...spare spools (still boxed with labels on), Ice washers, 1 reel never out box....went to message him...with inn10mins of post the sold...non wonder at that price.

Also looking at the Vader X Pro 10000....

I'm between the 2 now....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/05/2022 at 20:30, Highy said:

Lately I've also been toying with the idea of new reels.... Either of the below in Shimano. 

Aerlex XTB 10000 £69.99

Speed master XTC 14000 £99.99

Ultegra XTD in either 5500 or 14000 £113.99 - £129.99

 

The XTD is mentioned in this vid… I like his vids  👍

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, B B said:

The XTD is mentioned in this vid… I like his vids  👍

 

The XTD 14000 (I think) is the Rolls Royce reel of reels at moment...everyone wants em and there's quite a few up for sale....

Had a little play with my mates at weekend...OMG absolutely smooth on the cast and retrieve, the line lay is unreal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got myself the Shimano XTD spod reel for Christmas and extremely pleased with it. Super smooth and as you say, the line lay is ridiculously good as the super slow oscillation puts each coil of line on the spool millimeters apart . I haven't fished a water this season where I've really needed to really wang it but know it wouldn't disappoint if I did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/05/2022 at 13:16, jh92 said:

Which company would you use for a service? 

Looking at the reels, the bail arms aren't damaged as such, but they have dropped down, I think it might be the springs need replacing? 

 

They do hold a lot of memories lol. 

Can you recommend a place to get them serviced? 

Future fishing, Newark... they also do customising I'm told

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had a trundle down to local Fishing Republic...

Daiwa Reels now....

Crosscast 5000 C QD....£79.99 reduced to £69 now, only 3 left.

This felt light in the hand, had a good retrieve on turning.

20220518_091646.thumb.jpg.f58fcc6c8dcd8e674635bf020fe617cd.jpg

Crosscast 45 SCE 5000C QD £109....this is my favourite of em both, slow retrieve, also light.

20220518_091650.thumb.jpg.313863c4f6e69eb921d7e2142d89f7f7.jpg

Both reels have half turn drag from lock to free spool...

Thoughts please....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Highy said:

Just had a trundle down to local Fishing Republic...

Daiwa Reels now....

Crosscast 5000 C QD....£79.99 reduced to £69 now, only 3 left.

This felt light in the hand, had a good retrieve on turning.

20220518_091646.thumb.jpg.f58fcc6c8dcd8e674635bf020fe617cd.jpg

Crosscast 45 SCE 5000C QD £109....this is my favourite of em both, slow retrieve, also light.

20220518_091650.thumb.jpg.313863c4f6e69eb921d7e2142d89f7f7.jpg

Both reels have half turn drag from lock to free spool...

Thoughts please....

 

Get on the okuma 8k, I guarantee you won't regret it, I know I keep saying it but they are brilliant 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Get on the okuma 8k, I guarantee you won't regret it, I know I keep saying it but they are brilliant 

Just watched a few Vids, 1 with Adam Penning, good bit of kit, the local FR has no Oku.a in stock when i was there....Daiwa, Shimano, Sonik, Prologic and trying to front out there new Westlake range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, yonny said:

I agree with Elmo. While I'm a Daiwa man their lower end reels don't do it for me. You're better off with Okuma or Penn at that price point.

Don't even bother mate. It's cheap Indian rubbish.

A mate has the Penn Affinity reels, don't know which model though, maybe the Penn ll...both Angling Direct and Fishing Republic local to me have no stock of any....

The Westlake are rubbish, very cheap plastic feel....

It's looking like the Crosscast for me at moment, unless I get hold of some ultegra 14000....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, yonny said:

I agree with Elmo. While I'm a Daiwa man their lower end reels don't do it for me. You're better off with Okuma or Penn at that price point.

Don't even bother mate. It's cheap Indian rubbish.

Having used my 8ks for a while now and lower end diawa and shimano in the past they are head and shoulders above quality wise 5yr warranty, so smooth,  I  use a aerlex spod reel and they are noticeably better, I paid £80 each for mine and would again happily because I know they will last,(they are cheaper now) and they don't miss a beat I've never had tangles on casting, line going under the spool or anything like that, they just work really well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...