Rods Pods and Day Tickets…

16 hours ago, newmarket said:

….and finally , quite a pretty one I thought 

94CCF778-34DE-4228-8BFA-846746970321.jpeg

41514F48-7241-4CE9-BD63-6E05C5AC6693.jpeg

Another epic tale Newmarket ! .

It's like watching your favourite soap , wondering what is going to happen to the hero next .

I can also think " oh , I've got that problem , how will Newmarket deal with it ? 🤔 " .

😃

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, crusian said:

Another epic tale Newmarket ! .

It's like watching your favourite soap , wondering what is going to happen to the hero next .

I can also think " oh , I've got that problem , how will Newmarket deal with it ? 🤔 " .

😃

Thanks Crus , it’s going to be quite a challenge finding the bigguns that’s for sure .

First thing I’ll be doing is shopping around for some huge hookbaits. 
24 millers don’t make a damn bit of difference that’s for sure .

me and problem solving ? I’m definitely not the one to ask 🤣🤣

Edited by newmarket

21 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Thanks Crus , it’s going to be quite a challenge finding the bigguns that’s for sure .

Newmarket, I am honestly of the opinion that you are documenting all your experiences on here as preparation for writing a book. Something with a title along the lines of 'The Accidental Angler'. I think you would do the title more justice than Charles Rangeley-Wilson.

I just hope for your sake you and knowing your luck that you have the write ups saved somewhere else.

7 hours ago, elmoputney said:

Excellent read, and well done catching that many in a session,

have you thought about trying a blatent pop up rig that may help you get through to the bigger ones and maybe slow down the bites a bit 

I hadn’t thought of that Elmo . At least I’d could find time to eat 😂

On 21/06/2022 at 09:15, newmarket said:

Hi Newmarket 

I wonder if it would work if you baited an area which attracted the smaller carp , but then fished a little  away from the baited area where hopefully the big boys and girls were lurking as they don't fancy having to fight for their food .

Alternatively I'm sure there was a thread once which recommended a high pop up - 2" or 3" ? .

I can't remember , are you allowed to floater fish ? .

😃

On 21/06/2022 at 09:15, newmarket said:

Yes I did merge the posts,  the joys of phone upload limits.

I do like the bivvy, at least you have room around it now. Do you use the inner rib liner? I was struggling with mine this week, cramp in my fingers and I couldn't pop the clips onto the ribs.

The other good thing is that you don't need to put the front arch poles in place as just a Brolly and can get away with them or Storm sticks. 

After the times you've had, I'm glad you're catching, but like you, those little fellas do get a bit much after a while.

2x 24mm baits...

The other options I would have thought of both Elmo and Crusian have come up with.

Are there any particular spots the larger fish come out of?

May not be fashionable but the corner swims might be an option.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Yes I did merge the posts,  the joys of phone upload limits.

I do like the bivvy, at least you have room around it now. Do you use the inner rib liner? I was struggling with mine this week, cramp in my fingers and I couldn't pop the clips onto the ribs.

The other good thing is that you don't need to put the front arch poles in place as just a Brolly and can get away with them or Storm sticks. 

After the times you've had, I'm glad you're catching, but like you, those little fellas do get a bit much after a while.

2x 24mm baits...

The other options I would have thought of both Elmo and Crusian have come up with.

Are there any particular spots the larger fish come out of?

May not be fashionable but the corner swims might be an option.

Hi Nick mate. Ya know , I literally never got time to have a play with the brolly . 
setting my rods up first to get fishing really bit me on the bum .

Next time I’ll be setting up “camp” first 😊.

Time on the lake will hopefully teach me about any particular big-Ger fish locations , the owner appears to be quite transparent and forthcoming with info like that as is his trusty Bailiff so I’ll be working on it , but ya know mate , I’m not one of these people that expect all the work done for them .

You probably haven’t read this phrase on here for a while but I’m quite content to do my apprenticeship on this little lake and learn as I go . I’m just so happy to be out of the Essex day ticket rat race . It’s small it’s quiet and it’s local , and I don’t have to dump in a carrier bag .🤣I really couldn’t ask for more at the moment . 
I contacted Mike Wilmott who advised me to not only try large double hookbaits , slicing off flat spots and mounting two baits together , but also make my own big 40millers using paste .

Its the identical paste the B5/Black Snail boilies are rolled from , I just need a bit of guidance when the time comes as to boiling times for such huge baits . I’ll want em hard but not too hard that I can’t hair rig em .

You lot have always been a huge help to me in my fishing and I take everything on board and I’ll be trying all suggestions .

But as I say , I’m in no rush .

Even if I only fish with one rod . With such an empty lake the stalking opportunities will be endless .

So far I’ve met one other Carp Angler and 2 pole fishermen in a whole weekend .

And I’m told that was busy .

50 minutes ago, newmarket said:

Hi Nick mate. Ya know , I literally never got time to have a play with the brolly . 
setting my rods up first to get fishing really bit me on the bum .

Next time I’ll be setting up “camp” first 😊.

Time on the lake will hopefully teach me about any particular big-Ger fish locations , the owner appears to be quite transparent and forthcoming with info like that as is his trusty Bailiff so I’ll be working on it , but ya know mate , I’m not one of these people that expect all the work done for them .

You probably haven’t read this phrase on here for a while but I’m quite content to do my apprenticeship on this little lake and learn as I go . I’m just so happy to be out of the Essex day ticket rat race . It’s small it’s quiet and it’s local , and I don’t have to dump in a carrier bag .🤣I really couldn’t ask for more at the moment . 
I contacted Mike Wilmott who advised me to not only try large double hookbaits , slicing off flat spots and mounting two baits together , but also make my own big 40millers using paste .

Its the identical paste the B5/Black Snail boilies are rolled from , I just need a bit of guidance when the time comes as to boiling times for such huge baits . I’ll want em hard but not too hard that I can’t hair rig em .

You lot have always been a huge help to me in my fishing and I take everything on board and I’ll be trying all suggestions .

But as I say , I’m in no rush .

Even if I only fish with one rod . With such an empty lake the stalking opportunities will be endless .

So far I’ve met one other Carp Angler and 2 pole fishermen in a whole weekend .

And I’m told that was busy .

I'm nearly always rods out first, then bivvy. Finally after coffee I'll put some bait in. Sometimes it's coffee before bivvy, and that my friend is why....

Basically I bait up after fishing over a PVA bag or so and giving it a couple of hours. 

The ONLY exception of the bivvy going up first is if it's raining.

Boiling times for 40mm baits, 2minutes tops, but dry for 24hours before freezing, or putting into dip. You might get away with 2mins 30 seconds, but I never found any longer made them any harder. I do have some mega hard hookbaits myself. I drill them before sticking bait needle through them.

Mike Wilmott might say different times but he knows his mixes.

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I'm nearly always rods out first, then bivvy. Finally after coffee I'll put some bait in. Sometimes it's coffee before bivvy, and that my friend is why....

Basically I bait up after fishing over a PVA bag or so and giving it a couple of hours. 

The ONLY exception of the bivvy going up first is if it's raining.

Boiling times for 40mm baits, 2minutes tops, but dry for 24hours before freezing, or putting into dip. You might get away with 2mins 30 seconds, but I never found any longer made them any harder. I do have some mega hard hookbaits myself. I drill them before sticking bait needle through them.

Mike Wilmott might say different times but he knows his mixes.

The only reason that Bivvy will be going up first is so it can .

If last week is a guide those little cypri-tornado’s won’t give me any peace and if the weathers a bit iffy next time then I wanna make sure I can get the wrap on before the heavens open 🙄