Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
gravelrun1

bait boats exposed

is it me or is the influx of bait boats taking the skill element away,why bother with a marker float with braid when you can have a echo sounder which will set you back another 600 notes of hard earned cash,im far from a purist but surely bait boats are taking the mick and fishing away from fishing.

i agree, its best to fish to your own set of rules tho, i don't take any caputure that has used a baitboat seriously, by definition i'm a carp angler ie use rod and line to catch fish, people who use baitboats may be fishermen but so are deep see trawlermen, if you get my drift!For all of you baitboat users out there its up to you to fish to your set of rules and if you are happy using them so be it!

normally i would post on this kind of thread but i tend to get hounded by the bait boat supporters society!!! I think they are in general used by people that want to look good, have no need for one, cant cast acurately,cant cast any distance. I dont class them as angling to be fair, just playing with what is tantamount to a replacement for the playstation etc.:wink:

I agree with you lads , ithink it makes us lazy . i was going to make one to help me get to snags on the other side etc (just an excuse to overcome my not so good casting )but realised i could put the cost and time into something else CASTING PRACTICE;) I,ve been out this winter on some land casting to trees ,fences etc and guess what ,i really can do it if itry:D

The problem is, where do you draw the line? Who has the right to decide what is ethical and what is not? Certainly none of you that's for sure. What about bite alarms? Surely that is a form of cheating?

COMMENT: Fish on your own merits and leave it at that.

You will never get 100% agreement on the use of baitboats. Some use them sensibly, some don't. Some use spods sensiblly, some don't. Some people have no consideration for where you have your baits and chuck out leads that cross your lines. It's not the baitboat brigade we should be focussing on here, it should be the morons who have no respect for their fellow anglers.

Cheers

Chris

A lot of very good replies on this thread and i'm certainly of the opinion that it just makes anglers lazy. I'm the worst in the world with a marker float and struggle with watercraft, but that said, I try hard to understand and my effort equals reward. The feeling through finally getting it right and having worked it out for myself is spot on. Whereas if I was Mr Baitboat owner and just sent it out into the middle of the lake, dumped my load and then sat and waited... where's the sense of achievement in that. A lot of this is down to the "instant" carper syndrome. Gotta have it and have it NOW ! Whether it's the best this or best that, as long as it's shiny and expensive it just has to be good. The more people that learn from the bottom up and understand what it really means to catch one would be a good thing all round

normally i would post on this kind of thread but i tend to get hounded by the bait boat supporters society!!! I think they are in general used by people that want to look good, have no need for one, cant cast acurately,cant cast any distance. I dont class them as angling to be fair, just playing with what is tantamount to a replacement for the playstation etc.:wink:

EXACTLY Del. I couldnt have said it better my self buddy.

I believe when you invent a machine to do the job of a man, you only end up taking something AWAY from the man.

What the hell will there be left for us to do if we choose to let something replece our casting. Thats a great skill in its self to do it accurately and well.

But its all about the aesthetics for most other people. Just need to look good. I love takig pot shots at them with my Rapid 7. :D:D:D

I love takig pot shots at them with my Rapid 7. :D:D:D

And I just love to see them go putt putt wrrr wrrr as they conk out 100 yards from the bank :D :D :D

EXACTLY Del. I couldnt have said it better my self buddy.

I believe when you invent a machine to do the job of a man, you only end up taking something AWAY from the man.

What the hell will there be left for us to do if we choose to let something replece our casting. Thats a great skill in its self to do it accurately and well.

But its all about the aesthetics for most other people. Just need to look good. I love takig pot shots at them with my Rapid 7. :D:D:D

used to have the Theoben myself mate!!!! use the "Stealth" now mate. fully silenced :wink: ;) :D

Forgot to say i saw in a catalogue last year , out here ,there,s an electric reel ----YES ELECTRIC REEL--on the market

Now,beat that:eek: :D :D

the DENDOU-MARU, retails at around 700 quid i think

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302034314&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181206&bmUID=1110551575367

That's just completly mad !!!

I wonder if it slackens the clutch off when needed and back winds :confused:

What next... a pod that will hold your rod and rock backwards and forwards to pump your fish in with your electric reel. Oh deary me... all gone off the wall :o

Tell ya what. Lets stop fishing all together. fish finders, bait boats, electric reels, leads with in built cctv cams, im sure theres a rod that automatically casts....there has to be somewhere. :rolleyes:

That's just completly mad !!!

I wonder if it slackens the clutch off when needed and back winds :confused:

What next... a pod that will hold your rod and rock backwards and forwards to pump your fish in with your electric reel. Oh deary me... all gone off the wall :o

And its gettin madder ,I,ve just had a look at it and -:o -----it,s got an LCD screen------THE THING IS COMPUTER CONTROLLED!!!

Jaxter,s robot is the nex t step i,m sure,and if you could see my mate at night walking around stoned ,taking aim and casting ithink its here:D

Maybe th circles nearly round and in a couple of years we,ll be back to silver paper indicators and using real bait u know,cheeseand spuds and thing. The old chairman of our club calls it "real carp fishin in our day son". --Bless him and maybe he,s right in a way---who knows?

Get it all computerised... Nice little Rod Cam and we can watch TV at home and pop up a little screen in the corner of the TV. Could even incorporate a digi cam to take a pic for us :D

Tottally of mixed opinion on bait boats and always will be. I see that in some cases every angler could benefit from using one on the odd occassion. When time is tight as it is fo most of us they could be the difference between fishing and not fishing for some and that would be wrong for anyone to criticiss. I remember times when i have got to the lake late and tried to find features and things with the marker only for the light to go and leave me fishing in unknown water for the night only to spend an hour or so the next day looking and possibly spoiling the areas for another XX hours and so on. BUT that is the same as what most go through and well that teaches you things faster than if i had a bait boat. i Quickly found in these times that its best to fish where the visable features are and then make a choice in the morning. Fish the margins also when possibly i would not have and it makes you a better angler in the longer term.

Now had i have had a bait boat i would probably still neglect areas that other do and would come unstuck in other situations also like placing a bait off the tip of an overhanging tree at medium range with cross winds, something that is a regular thing for the average angler to do.

But again i have worked hard for my fishing and have a degree of watercraft and knowledge so would i be cheating also, maybe just cheating myself. How about going half and half?? just the boat? Now i have been out on a rowing boat and placed baits before, found the patches with marker and wanted a good presentation and this was a last resort what would be different about using a bait boat instead of rowing?? damn sight more safe thats for sure.

I will happily fish next to someone with a bait boat i have no problems and am confident for the most part in my own ability so i dont feel like i need a boat but i still respect the wishes of others and worry less about what they do and more about myself. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

this is probably going to develope into one of the best threads on here if it can stay on topic

i am not new to carp fishing as i have been carping for 19 years

myself i am looking to buy a bait boat what make i havent decided.there would be only a couple of places i would use it

my reason.... if i can get the bait to were the carp think they are safe,it would possibly put a fish on the mat on certain waters.

i have no problem with my casting;) on certain waters a boat would be a bennefit

things move on and boats are becoming more a part of fishing on alot of lakes its the way things evolve if you like them or not there here to stay

I have only just got one ( birthday pressie from wife)still have a few mixed feelings on it one of the waters i`m about to join doesn`t allow their use and the other one which is where i want it for is full of snags,which can be a bit tricky to cast to if you`re having one of them can`t hit a barn door at 2 feet days but i will not use it all the time i just think it`s another string on my bow,so to speak.

Emotive subject! My Thoughts and Discoveries.

I think using a Bait Boat is for those who lack the Skill to cast to where they want their Bait.

I reckon it takes less time to cast out, clip up, and then cast your Baited end tackle into position. Run your bait out with the boat at 5 mile an hour, drop and return. For the return trip you are paying no attention to your tackle in the water, putting fish at risk. But the person who has cast there has gotten control and bobbin on long before the Boat Brigade.

If I'm fishing into an overhang I'd prefer to put my tackle a little further away and draw the fish out, to avoid the risk of Snagging up that putting right under with a boat can do.

Small waters bait boating just ridiculous, it shows you have only More Money than sense.

It makes you lazy and it can encourage overbaiting. Oh i can put 2 kg of boilies around the end tackle. Fill the Bait Boat up, put the rig on the back and tow your line to the fish.

On weedy waters they can encourage you to fish out beyond where its safe. To bring fish back through thick weed is putting fish at risk of torn mouths, snagging up in Lily roots.

I fished a water where Bait Boats were allowed and discovered that due to my Baiting Patterns I was catching more than those who used a Boat to put their Rigs out. My baiting was more unpredictable for the Carp than the Boat Peoples tight spread of Bait around their rigs. I fished with Groundbait, Whole/Chopped Boilies, Pellets and Particles that would admittedly have been a lot easier to put out in a boat, instead I catapaulted, throwing sticked, spodded, Pva'd the lot into place, with the occasional missed ball/bait.

I think from talking to other people and Anglers on the Lake i had the best results in terms of Fish Caught and Sizes of Fish.

Do i Need a Bait Boat? Nah, I've got my Marker rod and Spod rod and a catapault, and the will to get it right.

I agree with some of what you say altho lacking skill is a bit harsh as a generalism however 1 thing i did notice on a presuured water that i looked around was that ppl with boats were able to get to those last few areas that are the ones that can`t be cast to and hence their catch rate went up,it seems that more and more ppl are using them as i said i`ve still got mixed feelings about using it and the one i got is the little procat so it`s not one of the "heavy haulers "