Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
gravelrun1

bait boats exposed

Sorry Mick if you thought I was being a bit harsh.

Just trying to provoke a few thoughts from others.

I can cast to snags and get very close by the use of clipping up. I can get my bait there by the use of Groundbait Balls full of other goodies. I also reckon if evryones is getting their Bait Boats to go as close into certain areas then the Carp wise up and stop feeding in those areas.

I have used a boat in the past, I'll admit to owning a Broadlands one, before I sold it. It was good for scaring away the seagulls tho'.

I've been out in a Rowing Boat to discover the Lake Bed and even put Bait and Tackle out with it and worry about the ethics of that as well, but know that on some waters it is the 'only' way to catch fish.

I think I'll say no more as I don't want to upset too many people. lol:D :D :D :rolleyes:

Not offended m8 no worries on that,and you carry on after all this is what the forum is about is it not? having discussions even if it is an emotive subject like baitboats,altho i think you get where i`m coming from on the mixed feelings about the whole thing i have always said i don`t want to use one but i might have to sometimes,hence that is why i only looked at the small one not a Battleship like the Lakestar or Viper etc.

Salokcinnodrog, Going to your point on the safety factor when guiding the boat back before you set the swinger etc. yes i see that and i have been on a lake where a couple regulars have it down to a tee, one motors and stuff while the other sorts out the rods and stuff and they are very organised with it too. I would think that with this in mind you would have to give credit to these people for the time to think. The water is a tricky one and these guys do catch more than most purely because the use of this boat with sounder.

Where they are used correctly and with due care then i have no problems, But as with all things you always get people that give others a bad name.

For me to use one it would be as a last resort. If say i fished a water for a couple months with no joy and there was not many other options other than to wait in hope i think i would consider using one. its no different to rowing baits out, well rowing baits out can be more effective as you may find other features you may have missed.

I do have a problem with people turning up midday and filling a boat up and watching an echo screen and dumping it on the first sign or right up against weed beds etc but as Mick said in certain cases his procat will be a string to his bow and i think thats a good way to look at their use.:D

Guest Anonymous

I think I'll say no more as I don't want to upset too many people. lol:D :D :D :rolleyes:

will not take any offence to your comments you are entitled to your opinion as much as the next man.

there is as stated a minority that do abuse these boats and dont give a monkeys about other anglers,just because i use a boat a few times i wouldnt want to be classed the same

Coops

I, Me, personally don't have a use for Bait boats on the waters I fish, as I said I used to use one, but had more trouble than it was worth.

Your first paragraph, I think, is a minority. I've seen too many people boat out, end tackle off and boat back before worrying about indication. I have also seen fish snagged as the boat is being retrieved, a take before the rod was 'set up' on buzzer. Also seen people putting indicator on and then boat stuck in overhanging bush, trees or in shallow water. I never laughed Honest.

:D :D :D

Ok, a difficult water, but I'd find somewhere that wasn't fished using a boat and cast, with a different style of baiting that the Carp don't expect or is usual.

I have used a Rowing Boat on a water, used to go out find spots, put markers out, maybe bait and then cast to marker from the Bank. It can be really effective way to fish, but not viable on the waters I fish at the moment.:wink::):D :D:D

a good fisherman with a boat is always going to out fish an angler of similar ability without one, more so fishing at distance on a large water, this for me is not the question, its a case of whether you want to catch carp by angling ability or use a toy to catch them.As has already been said its people who are desparate to be top of the numbers game who can't resisted resorting to the baitboat.

Some of us are for "THE BOAT''and some of us are against it.Iwas first for it (and alittle bit against it)then iwas against it (and a little bit for it) but after looking at what you lads have to say ------:confused: I DONT KNOW ANY MORE:confused:

THe thread is so interesting and no one is having a personel go at anyone .(just good clean arguin:cool: ) so

i,ll throw in another one .-- Apart from us for em or not it,s also a problem for the club committees,owners etc esp ecsially those with reletivly small waters because believe me when the price comes down in a year or so ,the waters will look like its a meeting of the local model boat club . the bailiffs will probably

get one free (with a blue lite on top), sort out any eventuel sea battles .. There is one water near me and on one side is house with a pigeon loft ,the guy throws old seed etc .my mate has made good use of this ready made swim by fish ing in the only place next to the house.someone uses a bait boat from the other si

de ----my mate :x --fires stones at boat with caty.--result---:rolleyes: children arguin again.:o .

I think its one of those things we,ll be talking about for yonks.

Isuppose its quieter than sittin enjoying it and someone coming next to you and spodding you to death .

:x

but isn't fishing all about using a rod to cast out a bait, then catch and play a fish, to me bait boats are like playing golf using a bazooka to fire the ball then turning round and saying to someone using a set of clubs "my balls gone further than yours, arn't i good", my answer is no, it just ain't cricket mate!!!!lol

You're right entirely, its golf! lol:) :) :) :P

I don't necessarily agree that a good Angler with a boat will outfish a good angler without one.

I proved that my Casting was as consistent, as accurate. If I had to thrash the water to get my Bait into place I would. Other People had Boats I never went that road. I fished differently, effectively, and places that Bait Boat anglers would not think of putting there Bait.

I rely on my Ability to catch fish, what it takes, not on a Toy. Fishing is for the Man to hunt his quarry. If my hobby was Remote control Boats I'd join a Club for Remote Control Boats.

My numbers were far more and Bigger than those with Boats, ability, Ability, ABILITY.

Guest Anonymous

Yea i'll defend 'em just to start a fight....... even though I hate them! This wkend i saw a guy using a baitboat to drop no more than 15 yards away........ we all chuckled! Baitboats are great...........:D

its called progress guys,are you all still fishing with large hooks inbedded in potatoes ????????

i mean boilies on a hair rig it takes the skill out of fishing surely !!!

and those marker floats its not fair on the carp in my day you had to count the lead down!!!

braid well thats just cheating ,so easy to find those gravel patches it takes all the skill out of it.

GET THE POINT !!!!!!!!

no i dont own a bait and yes i can cast 130yrds accurately.

but if i was to be on a syndicate where the fish were out of range or i could drive it right under the overhanging trees on an island i would buy one like a shot .

there not bad its like any equiptment its the minority of morons who make these things bad.

should we have a complete ban on leadcore due to some of the death rigs created by cretins i think not.

its down to personal choice

or is it just down to poor northerners who cant afford them(i nearly typed i was joking here but couldnt bring myself too.

as for people saying they would sink them ,i would only agree with that when i see the first one in camo.

Guest Anonymous

lol......... Yea i hate leadcore bans. I'd rather see someone use a big boat tho to place a hookbait rather than 'the little ....' provided the lake was big enough. Just dont like them...... takes the fun out of an accurate cast!!!

The thing that really gets up my nose more than anything and much much more than bait boats is the people who cast out every 5 seconds and wind the rod down and tighten up with the rod on the alarm and the volume up. It doesn't happen often (depending on the water your fishing mainly) but when it does i wish there was a ban on bite alarms :D

What would you find most annoying???? and dont say using a boat then tightening down with the rod on the alarm and the volume up (i think i would give up fishing):P

"poor northerners who cant afford them"

Not many northern lads left now,weve been invaded by southern shandy drinkers;) :D

Guest Anonymous

U'd get slaughtered if you did that in my syndicate!!:D Thrown in.......... av some!!

I'm perfect lol :wink::) :) . Never do that, turn my alarms down when I cast or put the line to the side of the Buzzer Head.

Bait Boats seem to be used as a Status symbol. Had a wander round Taswood this week.

A 6 acre lake with a line of weed down the middle. 6 anglers, 3 on each side, using a boat to put in line next to the weed line.

Having a laugh.:rolleyes:

Middle distance cast to the end of the Island with a funny wind.

Full whack with line in clip and Feather it down lowering rod, perfect job!

I've lost 3 lots of tackle to difficult casts in 3 years. None due to not having a boat, but down to overcastin onto an Island/Margin when I failed to clip up and trying to be lazy/smart. ( It don't work).

being a tackle tart myself i dont want a bait boat

I WANT A BAIT LINER lots of funnels ,lifeboats,the lot steam out into position stream of smoke in my wake couple of blasts on the claxhorn before depositing 35kilos of active pinapple 25yrds from the bank then steaming around the entire perimeter of the lake before returning to my swim .

oh what fun .

being a tackle tart myself i dont want a bait boat

I WANT A BAIT LINER lots of funnels ,lifeboats,the lot steam out into position stream of smoke in my wake couple of blasts on the claxhorn before depositing 35kilos of active pinapple 25yrds from the bank then steaming around the entire perimeter of the lake before returning to my swim .

oh what fun .

you sure you dont fish dodders in cheshire mate??? some twonk did pretty much the same thing on me in november, wiped out three lines( so i dumped on his bonnet):D lol

as a relativly newcomer to carp fishing,id like to add that i think on large waters,baitboats have theri place and for guys like moi the smartcast fish finder helps build confidence.

I bought a fishfinder and have used it on one trip and what i gained from the use of this peace of kit was a bit of self confidence,i could see the features on the bottom and the depth at which the fish were,and when there was no fish about i knew that i was not my business end that was wrong but the plain and simple fact that the fish had gone elsewhere.

when i have a greater understanding and comprehension of watercraft then ill flog my fishfinder,but i can forsee in the future that the better sense of achievment will be from catching a whopper without using a fish finder.

I can look after myself on the hills but i still take my mobile phone and spare rations just in case i cant catch my supper

I cant see myself having much use for a baitboat though;)

guddler, me and you need to do a drive and survive mate!!! no food is better than the stuff youve caught or foraged for!!!

impressed!:wink: