Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
gravelrun1

bait boats exposed

For what its worth I want to add my thoughts on bait boats. Before I do so, however, I also want to qualify my opinion by saying that I have been a fisherman for 35 years, a carp angler for 28 of them, and, yes, I can cast!

More than 20 years ago I looked into the possibilities of custom building a bait boat, as commercially produced examples were not then available, but I couldn't find a suitable hull and cost was a problem back then. The requirement for a boat was sound, however, and that was to reach carp holding/feeding areas beyond casting and baiting up range. It also occurred to me back then that such a tool would be useful for perfectly positioning baits beneath such features as overhanging trees etc - beneath which it would be impossible to cast. Both reasons for employing a bait boat still hold true today, in my opinion.

I now own a commercially produced bait boat and have no problems with using it when the need arises, and that, to be fair, is the whole point. If there is a genuine need to use such a gadget then fine, but you MUST be able to do so without annoying or encroaching upon anyone else.

Incredibly, however, I have been fishing a small, man made commercial occasionally this winter, just to bend the rod, and have been astonished to see bait boats used there! Not one spot of the lake is beyond either casting or baiting up range, and there are no impossible to cast to features where a bait boat is the only option. So why use one there?

What must be borne in mind is that successful carp fishing is all about having an edge, be that through quality bait, certain tactical skills like long range baiting and casting, or whatever. Having a bait boat is not a cure all, it is just another tool in the box to be used when circumstances dictate (and, believe it or not, anotyer skill in itself to master). What with spare batteries and goodness knows what other paraphanalia, however, the things are a fair weight, so I can't understand anyone wanting to cart one about when unnecessary! Moreover, why anyone should think it a pose to sit there with bait boat is beyond me - but, literally, whatever floats your boat, I suppose!

My personal maxim is do what you like, providing whatever it is you are doing is not negatively affecting other anglers or, indeed, the carp and environment. Tolerance, common sense, consideration and moderation seem to be the key words here, but, hey, am I expecting too much of human nature, let alone carp anglers?!

Right, suppose I ought to do some work now!

Divingtec,

A well put Defence of Bait Boats.

I know my Reasons for not liking them, and why I won't get one. I have seen a Norfolk Water where everyone uses them, on a Lake that is split into 2 by a Lily Bed in the middle. Not out of casting or Baiting Range, yet all the Posers, for that is what they are, use them.

The problem with all Fishing Equipment is the Idiots who spoil it for the Responsible Anglers. That includes some who shouldn't have Fishing Equipment FULL STOP.

Divingtec,

A well put Defence of Bait Boats.

I know my Reasons for not liking them, and why I won't get one. I have seen a Norfolk Water where everyone uses them, on a Lake that is split into 2 by a Lily Bed in the middle. Not out of casting or Baiting Range, yet all the Posers, for that is what they are, use them.

The problem with all Fishing Equipment is the Idiots who spoil it for the Responsible Anglers. That includes some who shouldn't have Fishing Equipment FULL STOP.

That`s a mellow response Nick!:D :D Must be goig soft in your old age.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For what its worth I want to add my thoughts on bait boats. Before I do so, however, I also want to qualify my opinion by saying that I have been a fisherman for 35 years, a carp angler for 28 of them, and, yes, I can cast!

More than 20 years ago I looked into the possibilities of custom building a bait boat, as commercially produced examples were not then available, but I couldn't find a suitable hull and cost was a problem back then. The requirement for a boat was sound, however, and that was to reach carp holding/feeding areas beyond casting and baiting up range. It also occurred to me back then that such a tool would be useful for perfectly positioning baits beneath such features as overhanging trees etc - beneath which it would be impossible to cast. Both reasons for employing a bait boat still hold true today, in my opinion.

I now own a commercially produced bait boat and have no problems with using it when the need arises, and that, to be fair, is the whole point. If there is a genuine need to use such a gadget then fine, but you MUST be able to do so without annoying or encroaching upon anyone else.

Incredibly, however, I have been fishing a small, man made commercial occasionally this winter, just to bend the rod, and have been astonished to see bait boats used there! Not one spot of the lake is beyond either casting or baiting up range, and there are no impossible to cast to features where a bait boat is the only option. So why use one there?

What must be borne in mind is that successful carp fishing is all about having an edge, be that through quality bait, certain tactical skills like long range baiting and casting, or whatever. Having a bait boat is not a cure all, it is just another tool in the box to be used when circumstances dictate (and, believe it or not, anotyer skill in itself to master). What with spare batteries and goodness knows what other paraphanalia, however, the things are a fair weight, so I can't understand anyone wanting to cart one about when unnecessary! Moreover, why anyone should think it a pose to sit there with bait boat is beyond me - but, literally, whatever floats your boat, I suppose!

My personal maxim is do what you like, providing whatever it is you are doing is not negatively affecting other anglers or, indeed, the carp and environment. Tolerance, common sense, consideration and moderation seem to be the key words here, but, hey, am I expecting too much of human nature, let alone carp anglers?!

Right, suppose I ought to do some work now!

Very well said mate.:)

Thanks for that guys. I also agree that, as with most things in life, it is the minority that spoil things for the majority. Bait boats should not in any way be considered poseworthy, they are just another tool in the box to be deployed at the right time, not as a matter of course, and always with regard for other anglers etc.

I will never buy into the reasoning that a baitboat is just another tool to give you an edge. You have to set parameters to any sport or it becomes a farce. Like i'll play darts, but i'll use an 8ft long stick to place um on the board!!! A 9 darter everytime, so would Phil Taylor be impressed?

As a relative newcomer to carp fishing, yet i was angling as a lad some 25 years ago, i must admit that the "new" trendy methods and devices to catch more fish have for some people made the basics of fishing a complete mystery.

Using gear such as boats and echo sounders as a tool is fine if you feel that helps you enjoy your sport, and im sure that there are several experienced anglers who use them as something to catch more fish.

My own belief is that many others use these gadgets as a short cut to catch fish instead of understanding watercraft and even basic casting accuracy skills etc.

Like most things there are people who will use them and not interfere with other anglers and others who will show no consideration and roar around the lake.If used responsibly then i dont care if people want to waste their money but in the wrong hands what a nightmare.

For me best of all is the simple approach and if i blank so be it, but if i catch i feel proud that my basic skills of angling might of had something to do with the result and not an echo sounder or boat.

I have considered getting a rc helicopter with high definition camera built in so i can hover around the lake and drop some boillies and send images back to my swim, but i couldnt get it all in the radio controlled 4 x 4 that i use to carry my gear to the lake.

What ever makes you happy i guess but not for me thanks

i have use of a boat it is not mine. i fish a water that has it's fair share of boat uses.

i fish with 3 rods and if the boat is used it is normally used on one rod only to get into places such as over hanging trees. i always stay within the boundries of my swim.

i caught 4 20's last year and only one of them was with the use of the boat. i never wanted to become lazy and value the skills needed to catch without a boat.

i use a marker rod alot when needed and i have used the sonar on the boat to confirm my findings bit like a training session. it has actually helped to improve my feature finding and make me a more confident angler.

i am now using the boat less and less. i must say that i get more satisfaction when i catch by casting than using the boat.

A boat does not mean you will catch it onlt delivers your bait.

Last piont if all the carp are lying up in a spot only a boat can reach. is it not better to use it than sit there for 24hours and not be on the fish and not catch at all.

I agree with the last post, and let us consider this: if you are fishing at 50 yards and the fish are showing at 100 yards, what do you do? Simple, you step up your rod power and lead weight to reach them. When the fish are beyond casting range, what on earth is the problem with using a boat - the same principal surely applies? Personaly I would sooner put a bait out with a boat in such circumstances than sit there wasting my time in the knowledge that my baits are no where near a carp! The point is, tho, no one can say that I am wrong, because this is my personal opinion based upon my own experience; likewise for those who refuse to accept boats as a fair means of angling, I cannot say that they are wrong - it is up to the individual and on that basis I return to an earlier point - do whatever you like, just so long as your behaviour does not negatively affect other carp anglers, the carp or the environment.

Guest reizend

Yesterday i took on a new labourer.

He's only 18 and has recently taken up carp fishing.

With great gusto he tells me of all his great equipment.

He's had a remote boat from the day he started.

This morning I had to listen to him for an hour in the van taking him to work.

His watercraft and knowledge of carp angling to be honest is at best terrible.

Therefore what difference does it matter if he has a boat or not.

He will either pack it all in or he will learn. Either way the boat will not make any odds.

But dont you think that some anglers are getting so hung up about the gear they have forgotten the important issues on how to read a water.

Youve only got to look on the forums and we talk more about bivvies, alarms, boats etc than how to find fish by looking, walking around a venue.

Whats next a remote controlled trawler !!

I would also suspect that there are a few anglers who can control the bait boat but dont know how to tie a few basic knots or use a waggler ??

Ok whos to say which one is correct but there does seem to be a culture of lets catch fish fast (i.e take short cuts ) at all costs, we dont need skill only the tools to do it while we sit back and watch it happen without sometimes learning why we catch and why we sometimes dont.

Guest reizend

sorry but there are no short cuts to catching fish with rod and line.

a 15 year old with a bait boat is far better than a 15 year old with a knife, joint and a claim on your nan's pension book.

I gave up on the purist carp angler years ago.

Enjoy your fishing and let others get on with it

Yep i agree, we are all free to fish how ever we feel is right, just as long as it doesnt spoil it for others, which im afraid doesnt always happen either.

We will always argue which is right and which is wrong but at the end of the day its just a hobby which we all do (i hope) for pleasure and fun and often its best just to agree to disagree on certain issues.

I don't hate bait boats, but I do think they are used excessively by a lot of anglers, I have seen people using them to put out their rigs and bait in the close margins, spots that could easily have an underarm cast to and throw the feed out with even your hand or at worse a short fire with the catty. But then again, in some ways I understand that had I bought myself a bait boat I would be loathed NOT to use the boat that I had just spent £400+ on, to use it infrequently would be a big waste of money, therefore I will never buy one because the temptation would always be there to use it, and I feel that my casting/cattying would suffer as a result..

Which is absolutely right and brings me back to my point: a bait boat is not a cure all, it is just another tool in the bag to be deployed in the right situation. If you don't need to use it, don't, if you do, carry on, just so long as you are not adversely affecting anyone else. Simple really.....!

I don't hate bait boats, but I do think they are used excessively by a lot of anglers, I have seen people using them to put out their rigs and bait in the close margins, spots that could easily have an underarm cast to and throw the feed out with even your hand or at worse a short fire with the catty. But then again, in some ways I understand that had I bought myself a bait boat I would be loathed NOT to use the boat that I had just spent £400+ on, to use it infrequently would be a big waste of money, therefore I will never buy one because the temptation would always be there to use it, and I feel that my casting/cattying would suffer as a result..

I have really practised with my Casting, distance wise and accuracy. I have practised with my Spodding, Throwing Stick and Catapaulting Baits out.

As a result I feel that I can approach any situation confidently.

I only had 5 20lb+ fish last year, all from a 167acre Reservoir. Baiting up was done with spod, catapault, and Throwing Stick at ranges from 30-100metres. No Bait boat in use at all. On a couple of occasions I had 3foot waves blasting down the Reservoir, not conditions suitable for a boat, but by Accurate Casting I was still able to get my End Tackle in the spot I wanted to within a couple of metres.

I don't own a Bait Boat and don't think I ever will. If I can't reach the Carp where I am I will move to find a swim where I can reach the Carp SAFELY.

hi i have a baitboat but only use it to get under over hanging trees on a island at 70 yards,now just got a spod rod to advance my casting,i can see your view and agree on it but some times you a baitboat can get you in some spots where you cant cast