Carp fishing in and around Alberta???

Im moving out 2canada in possibly the summer and i currently live in england where carp fishing is in full swing and i love it!!! i am alittle worried about the carp fishing over in canada everyone knows about the St. lawrence bt im moving out 2 calgary possibly in Okotoks (if thats how u spell it?!?!?) so does anyone know where i could fish for some monster carp and generally good quality fishing around calgary? and there is no problem with traveling across into sask il go where ever the best carp fishing is!!!

Apparently there are no carp in Alberta so mick_fisher and his son from this forum come here to Sask. from Red Deer to fish a couple of times a year. The carp fishing can be great, but the winters are long and cold (2-3 feet of ice) so the season is only about 6 months long. (It's warmer in southern Alberta because they get 'chinnoks'- warm winds blowing out of the Rockies. It's an 1100 mile round trip from Calgary but it's actually not a bad drive (about 10 hrs each way with a nice lunch and a couple of coffee breaks). We have long, straight highways.

550 miles not far? I like the way you think! My pb so far is only 30 lbs but some of my friends have caught 35s+ and my friend's wife caught a 40 2 years ago. The biggest I've heard of coming out of this system is 52 lbs but there could well be larger carp in there. Even considering that we have a 1 rod limit at present if you come on the right days and fish hard you could do very well. If you check first I can try to let you know where they're biting.

I'll try to hyper link to these photos....

http://www.sharemation.com/caretaker/ValeportMarsh.jpg

That's the river mouth at the south end of Last Mtn. Lake. Even though the season opens ?????? I think the 4th of May or something like that, the river from the very mouth to a dam about 5 miles away is closed till the 22nd (or something like that [haven't seen the new synopsis yet]) So, we fish just north of the river mouth where it's technically part of the lake.

http://www.sharemation.com/caretaker/LastMtn.jpg

After the river warms up sometime in July the fishing gets a little harder, and when they spawn, (late July-early Aug?) I can't buy a bite - (edited 21 Mar.) [i checked posts from last summer, and I was blanking in mid July], so I try to fish farther up the main lake (a couple of spots in that photo :wink: ) pre-baiting or just spodding in places I know or think may have been baited. The bonus is that I think the average size caught up in the main lake is around #15 as opposed to 10 or 12 in the river. I don't mean there aren't big ones in the river, but they seem to come in batches, you know, you'll catch all dinks one day, and on another you'll haul all upper teens and 20's with the odd biggie thrown in. The day I caught my pb we'd been catching all 8 and 10 pounders. Late in the season....Sept and Oct., I think they're migrating up into the big water. Oh yeah, in southern Alberta you'll be in the middle of some of the best trout fishing there is so even though the carp aren't there you'll be able to do all the fly fishing you want.

Licenses for an alien, which includes out-of-province, was $60 Cdn last year for an annual license or $25 for a 3 day. Buy the years worth and fish longer,come back several times, it's the way to get your money's worth. That's good from start-up in May till the following April so you can go ice fishing if you find yourself in Sask. in the winter. There was a rumour a while ago that license fees were going up, but there's been nothing in the news yet so I think it's bunk. They're already too much (residents pay $30/year). Go to http://www.se.gov.sk.ca/fishwild/anglersguide/

and download the pdf to get last years synopsis. There's a local tackle shop and an outfitter who're trying to lobby the provincial government to allow carpers to register with Sask. Environment and be allowed to use 2 rods, but so far it's 1 rod in open water and 2 ice fishing.

• 3 weeks later...

Simon ,Buzz and all the other guys are right you are kind of buggared for carp in Alberta but Saskatchewan is great and B.C. has some ok places.

We moved out from the UK in 97 and live about 11/2 hrs nth of Calgary ,we make our annual trips out to Last Mountain and the carp fishing is brilliant at times but its down to the fact that you can access info through many of the guys on this site that enables you o find the fish,we were struggling a bit last year due to the high water levels Buzz helped us out and pointed us in the right direction and one of the guys with us ,who had never fished for carp before, landed a belter in the mid 30,s and another 20 or so fish from 5 to 20 lbs in a couple of days needless to say he is hooked.

My email is mmsd1@ telus.net if you need any more info,let us know when you get here.

Mick

• 16 years later...