Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I used to do it quite a bit but as I have fished for carp more and more, I have started to use heavier line for the safety of the fish. The area I fish in is very snaggy with lots of logs and sticks. I was just losing too many fish and it bumms me out when a fish has a hook and 12 inches of mono swimming around after a breakoff. I would love to find a nice clear sandy area and have a ball with the ultralight. I live near Lake Michigan and its possible there in some areas. There are alot of razor sharp zebra mussels though. Thanks for bringing up the idea, it is a blast!

I'm with you Carp man I love Battleing these fine specimens on 4lb test and even 2lob test When in an open area, I live in Chicago And fish the rivers Mostly But i enjoy fighting them on 4lbtest It's great !!!!!!!!! Love the feeling.

George

:D

I can see using ultralights from a boat, where you can up anchor and chase them if you need to, but an upper twenty pounder or larger will simply spool you if you are fishing from shore. 4 pound test simply does not have the break strength to stop a charging big bull carp, and an ultralight spool does not have the line capacity to last through the initial run. I can see if you are using a bigger reel spooled with about 300 yards of 4 pound test, that might work. I know that I can't stop the initial run of a 25 pound carp with my carp rods, which are 9 foot steelhead rods with 30 pound test Fireline. They still rip a good 100 feet of line off the reel before you can turn them. It is fun, though, I will give you that. I sometimes hook them on my light action rods when I'm throwing jigs and minnows for walleyes. After a couple though, it becomes more work than fun, as my arms become very sore!!LOL :D8) Good luck, and have fun!!

John

been there and done that.was a blast and some days a real headache. i use a 10-6 noodle rod and six lb test,when i was useing a shorter rod it resulted in a lot of breakoffs but the long noodle rod can absorb alot of line shock.i really dont use it much here in the summer as high water temps really seem to stress the fish out.i am more confident in this rod setup than any of my others

It is amazing how much more leverage you get with a longer rod. When I was in college we used to catch Kamloops rainbows in Lake Superior on 4 foot long ultralights. These fish ran from 6-8 pounds and fought like a runaway freight train on a short rod with 4 pound test. A few years ago I went back there with a ten foot steelhead rod spooled with 6 pound test. It was like night and day. The fish didn't seem to have 1/2 of the fight as I had remembered. That rod made quick work of those 'Loopers. Take it easy, bud.8) :cool: 8)

John

8) here in sunny south florida, we only find state stocked triploid grass carp. these fish definately put on a fight comparable to commoms. where i grew up in NJ, i knew nothing of the huge deal it was to fish for carp in europe and all of the specialized tackle. i would catch carp on the same 8-10 lb. spinning equipment i used for everything from bass and pickerel to shad and catfish. now that i'm in FL, and i am fully aware about "carping", i still use similar set-ups (6-12 lb. 7' mediums actually) and have had great success safely landing and releasing grass carp 5-45 lbs. although i wouldn't try an ultra-lite on them, i assure you that my set-up feels plenty light with a 30 or 40 lb grass carp attached to the buisiness end. i would love to hear anything about grass carp since it would seem that realitively little is understood about them.

hi,im going to america in december,just wondered what sort of rod i would be looking for to fish for carp over hear.im going to arizona and would like to bring a couple of (carp rods)back to the uk,and wondered what sort of price im loking at?

all help appreciated

Sorry to be a party pooper guys but I have had a 20+lb Carp on a rod that had no t/c but if I had to guess what it was I'd have to say under 2lb..I have also had a 15lb+ using a pole with a number 4 elastic... :wink:

i know what you are saying..............ive had a 27lb er on a 13ft floater rod.........but it doesnt do the rod any good..........took me nearlly 30 mins to get him in...................didnt know what the telescopic rods were like in the usa............for carp fishing over here...............also looking to buy a couple of pig pit reels there too. 8)8)

I'm with you Carp man I love Battleing these fine specimens on 4lb test and even 2lob test When in an open area, I live in Chicago And fish the rivers Mostly But i enjoy fighting them on 4lbtest It's great !!!!!!!!! Love the feeling.

George

:shock::shock::shock:

Over here, in England, 4lb test curve is a very, very, very stiff rod!

The average test isprobably 2.75lb!

4lb is a spod rod!

George

:shock::shock::shock:

Over here, in England, 4lb test curve is a very, very, very stiff rod!

The average test isprobably 2.75lb!

4lb is a spod rod!

I pretty sure they are on about the strengh of the line 2 and 4lb breaking strain :lol::lol::lol:

I AM SO WITH YOU! 4 pound test with an ultra light rod to go is the absolute best way to carp fish....ultra light fishing is the way to fish for any spieces its realy a blast... i get like an 8 minute fight out of a ten pounder

keep catchin those carp on light gear !

So far, three of my four have been on a shakespeare micro spin rod with a cobalt reel and six pound test.

Picking up a shakespeare ultra light ugly stick and rigging it with four lb test this week. (maybe 2lb, but either way for panfish and bass only..... maybe the odd chain pickerel if we can land one with that setup)

With my low level of skill, will be moving up to my Ugly Stick medium light rod with 10 lb test for carp. The baitrunner used for hair and bolt has fifteen pound test line.

The eight pounder today was on the edge of my skills, and lost a hook to a good sized one. Hate doing that.

Since I am new at fishing in general (second season) This newbie will revisit ultra light tackle when more experience is had. Having said all that, catching those three carp, all over six pounds on the little rod was a blast.

My hat is off to any angler who can pull in a large carp on true ultra light gear, and hope to take my game there someday.

Well I've always fished pretty light, tackle wise. But in a river full of rebar, concrete, stumps and snags anything less than 10 lb line with a 6 or 7 foot rod becomes an exercise in futility. Medium action rods in glass or composite will throw 1/4 to 5/8 oz lure weight easily and with pretty good accuarcy to 60 - 75 yards. Match that with a reasonably priced spinning reel with 100 - 150 yards capacity and you have a pretty sweet combo. And if your a good shopper you can do it for 30 - 50$. Which is a pretty reasonable outlay for someone wanting to get into fishing.

Lakes & open water, by all means, go with ultralight gear for the challenge.

I'm all in favor of giving the fish a sporting chance.

Harder water requires both more in gear, and expertise if you are going to keep that 20 lber from wrapping around a stump and breaking you off. Trust me, the bigger fish know every obstruction in their part of the river.

On a tough river a 7' combo with 15lb braid may be more of a sporting chance to a fish than the 4' rod with 4lb is on open water.

I was going to give the ultra light a rest carp wise, but have been looking at a niche product. Specifically, a collapsing ultra light "pen" rod. Seems one U.S. maker has a running contest for the heaviest fish caught on his gear.

When the record was at eight pounds ( set by a U.k. carp angler) this newbie was pretty confident about breaking that. Now the same U.K. angler has caught a 14 lb carp on the same gear, just got word this evening from the manufacturer/purveyor.

So I am getting one ( or three) of those combos' and going after that 15 pound mark. Of course, our carp 'round here are what the U.K. anglers call "wildies" and put up a better fight, but the "record" rules are weight based, fight and landing caught on video (presumably the weigh in too)

Was going to mention the brand by name, but haven't heard back from the mod I asked. Here's hoping we can find a fat lazy koi somewhere. Ordering my set up tomorrow, should be at it next week sometime.

Wish me luck! :wink:

EDIT - By the Way....

... Match that with a reasonably priced spinning reel with 100 - 150 yards capacity and you have a pretty sweet combo. And if your a good shopper you can do it for 30 - 50$. Which is a pretty reasonable outlay for someone wanting to get into fishing.

got a medium Ugly Stick 6 foot spinning combo that handles up to 15 lb test line with ample spool capacity (especially with spiderwire or fireline) for $29.99 at Wal Mart. I use it on my kayak for pulling bass through weeds and lilies, also use it for a walking rig bank fishing for carp. Reel is okay, and what can you say about an Ugly Stick?

whats the reel like with the ugly stick combo?. will it do for salt water.also do all walmarts stock it. i am back in the states soon and would'nt mind buying one if the reel is up to salt water abuse. i buy my fly rods from the states, thomas and thomas, by far the best fly rods ever made.have caught carp to 18lb on 5wt with no problems in the past. :D

I wish I could help you with that, but my angling skills and knowledge are best described as infantile. Rather new at this. With that disclaimer.....

I would not hesitate to use my medium Ugly Stick Combo in Salt water, if I did not have a other gear more suited to same.

The Tiger Spinner Combo is a step down on the Shakespeare food chain and the blue collar boys and girls around here use them in salt water all the time.

My endorsement is based on the favorable return policy at Wal Mart and the knowledge of the precise location of my receipt. If you buy it at Wal Mart and keep your receipt, no worries.

The reel has a click drag adjustment on the front. Have used mine to pull largemouth bass through 35+ yards of lily pads. Bear in mind I have never handled any top shelf gear, but the reel seems good enough to me, and very happy with it for the price.

P.M. me if you get near to Delaware, will turn you on to some very underpressured carp.

Pretty sure that most Wal Marts carry this item, can't say for how long into the season. If you happen on to one that does not have it in stock, you may be able to order online and get free site to store shipping.

They just showed up this season at my Wal Mart, and we lost the excellent 4'6" micro spin one piece ultra light rod and spinner combo.

In any case, if you buy any combo (rod and reel) from any discount chain or sporting goods store, bin the factory line and spool up with something decent straight away. That much I do know....

Recently got interested in a new version of the "fish pen" called the pen rod extreme. There is a challenge to see who can catch the biggest fish, currently it is a bailiff from Dereham U.K. with a fourteen pounder. Mind you that is on a telescoping rod that retracts into a pen like 7 3/4" cylinder.

Here is a still from my video making an attempt for the new record. I fell short with this ten pounder, He is on the ground because I also fell on the bank during the fight and a motorcycle accident makes it hard for me to get up with no hands. I did get him to the mat as soon as I was up.

PREcarp.jpg

That is the pen rod fully deployed in the pic. There is a youtube video on my site, but it is promotional for the rod so I won't post the link here. The promoters who make videos don't get money, but we do get some gear and a good number of hits on our videos.

Anywho, this is an ultra light rush extraordinaire. I had a ten pounder on a solid blank ultra light rod a few days before I got this one, but the telescoping rod takes a much more delicate touch. A nice ten minute fight, and ran out of space on the vid card and had to switch out for the weigh in.

I am sure that I will get out my heavier tackle at some point, but for now the ultra light bug has got me in it's hold. Stand by for the next mood swing 8)

I agree, just caught my new PB (11 pound wildie) with a telescoping 65 gram ultra light rod. mad fun.... In the right scenario, like not too many submerged logs or sharp rocks, believe that the twenties club is next.....///..... The pic is in May catch reports and the vid is embedded on my site.