Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
levigsp

Surf

A couple of picture taken below the house just.

Thought it would let some of you realise why world class surfing champs are held here.

The first shows 30metre waves :shock: the second a double wave again same height.

Third shows Dunnet head the most northerly point,if you look close you will see waves a quater of the way up 233 feet cliffs :wink:

30 Metres. Don't think so. One of my friends has surfed at Dunbar many times as well as many other destinations around the UK and the world. 30 metres is about 100ft? Thats a huge wave to have and one that i doubt very much you would see so close to the shore in the UK or anywhere else in the world without causing massive damage.

Technically a wave that size could be considered as a fair size Tsunamis.

If you type in "Billabong Odyssey 100ft wave" into youtube you will see a supposed 100ft wave. Many people speculate to the size of it some saying it was as little as 50ft.

Sorry but those waves are no where near 30 metres in height. The spray more than likely is but the wave. No.

A couple of picture taken below the house just.

Thought it would let some of you realise why world class surfing champs are held here.

The first shows 30metre waves :shock: the second a double wave again same height.

Third shows Dunnet head the most northerly point,if you look close you will see waves a quater of the way up 233 feet cliffs :wink:

30 Metres. Don't think so. One of my friends has surfed at Dunbar many times as well as many other destinations around the UK and the world. 30 metres is about 100ft? Thats a huge wave to have and one that i doubt very much you would see so close to the shore in the UK or anywhere else in the world without causing massive damage.

Technically a wave that size could be considered as a fair size Tsunamis.

If you type in "Billabong Odyssey 100ft wave" into youtube you will see a supposed 100ft wave. Many people speculate to the size of it some saying it was as little as 50ft.

Sorry but those waves are no where near 30 metres in height. The spray more than likely is but the wave. No.

Please take a look in a Nautical almanac at the Pentland firth,classed as one of the most dangerous sea passages in thwe World.

The reason because the conflicting tides create massive waves.

The beaches o f the north Caithness coast are also listed as having some of the highest waves in the world.

The lighthouse on Dunnet head has a plaque on the wall put there by the northern lighthouse board,stating that the upper windows get smashed by rocks thrown up by the sea 300 feet :!:

Rocks waying tonnes get moved about regulary on the shore.

I did'nt get a tape measure out,however the waves were higher than a single storey holiday house that stands on top of 10 metre cliffs.

I have worked on ships,in some of the most dangerous seas arround the world,so I should know a big sea when I see one :wink:

Finnaly they cancelled the surfing championships a couple of years ago,because the waves were to big,these were the worlds best surfers,however they canceld them the following year because there were no waves :wink:

As a finnal thought for you,in 1988 the harbours on the noth coast from Scrabster to John O Groats were wreaked when a storm knocked down a lot of the harbour walls,these are made from Grannite or Flagg,each block being in the regeon of 6x3x3 feet,each wall 20 or more feet accross,so yes we do get some serious structual damage,and yes this was recorded on the national and international news :wink:

I have just had it pointed out to me that I should change the metres to yard though it makes little diference.

Also these waves were only very close to the shore,where they are caused by the water going from very deep water onto the reefs,on certain parts of the coast.

You seem to know a lot about the sea and that i'm not doubting.

I have seen Big waves and spoken with "big wave hunters" when i have been travelling, in hawaii i saw huge waves, the same in NZ and Aus, whilst in Teahupo i saw some of the biggest waves i have ever seen. I know only a few of these to have touched 100ft and trust me they looked a hell of a lot bigger than those pictured.

On the third picture, from what i can see that is spray.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree. :wink: