Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jdh91

Chods

Im looking for information on how chod rigs work exactly, becuase i want to try them out at a weedy lake i fish but also becuase at some of the other lakes i fish i would have mode confidence of my presentation.

i did try the search funcition but all i really found was people suggesting big pva bags and infomation on zigs.

thanks in advance.

(it is not Chod Rig, it is a form of Helicopter rig, and NO I WILL NOT GET OVER IT )

You stick to your guns :wink:

Tim Paisley was using the silt rig (or bomb on the end of the line rig as he called it) way back in the 80's. So to reiterate..... the old skool carpers among us call it a silt rig and the new breed, brainwashed, Korda type of carper of today call it the chod rig :wink:

Ok i will look at that thanks.

Lol brainwashed korda carper is exactly me, im a huge fan of all things korda and danny fairbrass excewpt their hooklinks where its kryston all the way.

Ok i will look at that thanks.

Lol brainwashed korda carper is exactly me, im a huge fan of all things korda and danny fairbrass excewpt their hooklinks where its kryston all the way.

In that case remember that it is Danny Fairbrass who said that the rig is No Good in weed, and I even quote his pic and comments in the other thread!

really i did not know that, i know he prefers to use pva stick in weed but i was told that chods were great for weed becuase you can set the hooklink to lie of top of the weed.

I was using a version of the so called chod in the 80s(stolen from F J Taylor),and after a break from carp fishing was surprised at the names it was called.

In the 80s it was used a lot and called a sliding patanoster,the hooklink for carp was generaly a lenth of braid set in a biro pen tube to stop tangles.

In the ninetys it was changed to a very short stiff hooklink and called the short rig.

Now its still tied with the short stifflinc but called the chod.

However I do differentiat between the chod/short rig and the hellicoptor rig.

Saying they are the same thing is the same as lumping all bolt rigs together.

The chod is/or should be fished compleately different to the helicoptor rig,yet even the writers in Mags do not grasp this point.

The way a lot of people I see use it only results in less takes and lost fish.

Used correctly in the correct places it is a super rig,used wrongly[like most]it is useless.

Its funny how the basics of the rig are often shown in mags,but the acual mechanics of the rig and how it shoud be used are not.

It has accounted for a lot of huge carp for certain anglers,yet those same anglers vare the ones who do not show[that I have seen]how to use the rig. :wink:

The one thing that suprises me is that Salokcinnodrog dislikes the rig so much,as used correctly I would have thought it would be right up his street.

Is it the hype?have you had a misshap?

I for one use the rig/setup regulary and will keep doing so whilst it produces for me,and almost always have a rod setup for casting to showing fish.

It will work correctly vertualy anywhere[at its best in weed,silt,etc]but does not work correctly on gravel stones etc.

It suits me that certain rigs get bad press,as my favorate is called from a pig to a goat,yet it is nothing like portrayed.

I think this was purpose negative publishing,which not only suited me but the writers.

Should i call my version of the zig , an offensive rig after me ,because i fish it differently to everyone else. Half the time most of these rigs were probably used by people who didn't seek publicity or fame or fortune out so just because jo blogs in didly borsetshire gets on with his fishing not bothering anyone it does'nt make him less inventive, i hope no one who feels they have invented a rig is offended ,but as humans tend to think alike the same and similer solutions to problems are being sought simultaneouly, and found.As Tonybranno would say we have seen it all before.

I was using a version of the so called chod in the 80s(stolen from F J Taylor),and after a break from carp fishing was surprised at the names it was called.

In the 80s it was used a lot and called a sliding patanoster,the hooklink for carp was generaly a lenth of braid set in a biro pen tube to stop tangles.

In the ninetys it was changed to a very short stiff hooklink and called the short rig.

The chod is/or should be fished compleately different to the helicoptor rig,yet even the writers in Mags do not grasp this point.

Used correctly in the correct places it is a super rig,used wrongly[like most]it is useless.

Its funny how the basics of the rig are often shown in mags,but the acual mechanics of the rig and how it shoud be used are not.

It has accounted for a lot of huge carp for certain anglers,yet those same anglers vare the ones who do not show[that I have seen]how to use the rig. :wink:

The one thing that suprises me is that Salokcinnodrog dislikes the rig so much,as used correctly I would have thought it would be right up his street.

I for one use the rig/setup regulary and will keep doing so whilst it produces for me,and almost always have a rod setup for casting to showing fish.

It will work correctly vertualy anywhere[at its best in weed,silt,etc]but does not work correctly on gravel stones etc.

It suits me that certain rigs get bad press,as my favorate is called from a pig to a goat,yet it is nothing like portrayed.

I think this was purpose negative publishing,which not only suited me but the writers.

Any chance of letting on how it would be set up correctly? :D

Oh, and whoever asked I believe CHOD was thought up by Rob Maylin :wink:

The reason I dislike it is for many of the reasons you have quoted. It is not often used as it should be used and seems to be the first thing that is used without thought.

For Long Distance fishing the Helicopter set-up is brilliant for maximum distance. I don't like it in weed after a series of breakages myself, but I use the Sliding Silt set-up when I need to in Silt. I do also use the Short rig at times for Pop-ups. A fair number of my winter captures came on Hi-Attract pop-ups in most cases it was on a Helicopter/Short Rig set-up.

I found I had to make a few adaptations when I use Helicopter set-ups on Gravel, and that involves some rather tasty beads I got from a Tackle shop made by Cox and Rawle years ago :wink:

For most of my fishing I prefer to use a Running Lead set-up, as that for me has worked best for the past 7years, but at times do switch to a Semi-Fixed set-up if the situation requires it.

The Main reason I hate the rig though is that all Silt/Helicopter rigs have been given the awful name "Chod Rigs", when they are quite definitely not.

I hinted at this a while ago in another thread.

Sorry I do not have access to a printer scanner etc,so no pictures.

Also please bare with me on this one as it is quite lengthy.

This is what I see done on various waters up and down country.

The short rig is tiedup,threaded onto some leadcore inbetween two beads,and the popup is added,sometimes there is a gap between the beads,othertime not as in a helicopter,and a lead is attatched to the leadcores end.

The whole lot is then hurled out to the horizon,and the rod is placed onto its rest.

The line is then tightend untill drumtight etc etc.

The lead has either buried itself in the silt,weed orCHOD{FOR YOU NICK}and the line being tightend will pull the said popup into the silt or weed

A carp picks up and is hooked by the tight line and the not so luckey angler also picks up..

During the fight the angler is pulling on the hook one way,the lead is doing one of two things,if the beads are fixed eitherside the hooklink,then the lead will be hanging down set distance from the hookand bouncing off obsticals in the water and the fishes side.

The result is dammage to the fishes side with the lead :evil:and dammage to the carps mouth :evil: from the hook being pulled the oppersite way by the lead.

If the beads are set a wide distance appart then the lead will see-saw up and down the side of the carps head :evil: and also most likely pull the hook after some mouth dammage. :evil: .

If the fish breaks the anglers mainline then it is in effect towing a length of leadcore and lead around the lake untill snagged if the beads are fixed :evil:

Now picture this:-a rubber bead is threaded on the mainline with a baiting needle through the side.

The leader is made up as this one end has a swivel on coverd in a safety clip tailrubber,to this swival the lead is tied with 4lb line approx.

Onto this leader a short rig is slipped and then the mainline is tied to the leader,then the bead on the line is carefully pushed down to the leader knot.

You now have a leader 18"-6ft with nothing stoping the hooklink sliding from the lead to the bead on the knot at its end.

You then attatch the popup and tie some pva tape round the rubber tail on the lead end,or a pva nugget if not casting far.

Cast the whole lot out and sink the line but leave it slack,untill it lies on the bottom.

This way the lead is burried in the silt weed OR :oops: and the rest is lieing neatly on top of or just inside the silksilt,weed etc.

The carp comes along and picks up a free runningshort rig.

Theres no resistance and it takes the bait untill its to late where upon it bolts :D and is either hooked by hitting the lead or the bead on the other end or infact you striking.

This is the reason I said it should not be used on gravel,stones etc,as the stones stop the swivel,so the free running rid is now fixed.

Now the angler is pulling the hook oneway,the lead is not moving as it has been pulled tight onto the tail rubber on the leader,no fish dammage :D .

If the angler gets snapped the hooklink simpley slips off the end of the leader as there is nothing to stop it,and if the lead should catch during the fight in weed then the line attatching it to the swival parts :D .

Now this is not my idea,it is something I have seen a number of named anglers doing that are assosiated with the rig,yet nothing in writing anywhere.

It is one of the most widely written about and tried rigs going,and also most widely used incorrectly.

Thats My oppinion and I will stick by it.

That's funny, as I have been fishing it on a Fluorocarbon leader for a while now, made of 15lb ESP ghost, and I always fish it free-running, with the top bead about 2.5 feet up the line.

I must admit, I haven't fished it with the lead tied on with light mono, I'll have to try that sometime.

Thanks for spreading the knowledge and taking the time to type it out though :)

the chod rig is awesome.i have caught hundreds of carp on it and i havent used a bottom bait since.

find it bizzare how you cant use a rig because of its name :roll: .

ive had 5 forties on it in the last 13 months,40.4m,44c,47m,48.12m,49.4m :wink: .

uncle jim

KIR

the chod rig is awesome.i have caught hundreds of carp on it and i havent used a bottom bait since.

ive had 5 forties on it in the last 13 months,40.4m,44c,47m,48.12m,49.4m :wink: .

uncle jim

KIR

I'm not saying I don't use it, what I'm saying is that I use a Helicopter or Silt set-up, I WILL NOT call it a chod rig, and I use it where I think that it is an answer to the problem, not the first thing that comes to mind.

uncle jim

KIR

What length max do you have your hooklink when fishing in weed? Because i was thinking say if the weed is a good foot or two deep and you have got a 2-3inch hooklink wont it get pulled into the weed? I know the top bead moves freely, so really it should slide up the leader to the top of the weed. But i cant see that happening. I've not used the rig much because ive never felt the need. But on weedy waters i become stumped when i see fish far out and know if i cast a bait to them it will just get dragged into the weed. How do you have yours set up? Do you move the bottom bead away from the lead more if the weed is deeper/thicker. :D