Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
jdh91

Chods

Set it up the same as you would on Leadcore and just make sure that the top bead can release easily should you snap off, also make sure that the tubing is fixed at the lead end so that it can't slide up the line , otherwise the fish will be towing a length of tubing around if you snap off.

Try it in the edge first to see how the pop up sits. If it is lifting the tubing off the deck , mould a bit of putty around the swivel on the rig to just sink it. Just put the putty on the eye of the swivel the rig is tied to as it will need to rotate to work effectively. :wink:

What i would suggest is check and then double check that the rig is safe and should you lose a fish that you're totally confident that it is only carrying the rig.

I can set-up a SILT rig on Tubing fairly easily using Solar Tubing and Beads.

A Rubber bead at the end nearest the rod tip to prevent the rig sliding off.

I've found that with Solar Rig Buffer beads and Tulip beads it grips the Tubing nicely and doesn't slide off. I don't like glue anywhere near any of my end tackle. I feel that it makes tubing more brittle and it can snap after a period of time immersed in water.

I saw a good tip for fixing tubing without the need for glue on the Nash tackle DVD.

If you push the tubing through and then blob the end with a lighter, like you would while making a D rig , it stops the tubing being pulled back through. :wink:

I saw a good tip for fixing tubing without the need for glue on the Nash tackle DVD.

If you push the tubing through and then blob the end with a lighter, like you would while making a D rig , it stops the tubing being pulled back through. :wink:

And allows it to cover and grip a knot to swivel better :wink:

You've still got the Tulip or buffer bead over the end of the tubing.

I've also borrowed an idea from another forum, and made this a Sticky as "Chod" rigs get so many threads started. :roll:

A handy way of curving the hooklength is to make a hole in a pop up tub and place the hook through it and curve the hooklength around the tub and then steam it, seems to give the right curve and is cheaper then one of those solar gadgets.

the chod rig is awesome.i have caught hundreds of carp on it and i havent used a bottom bait since.

find it bizzare how you cant use a rig because of its name :roll: .

ive had 5 forties on it in the last 13 months,40.4m,44c,47m,48.12m,49.4m :wink: .

uncle jim

KIR

I noticed in an article about Welly that you have been forced to come off the Silt/Chod set-up. Was that due to the Carp refusing or not accepting pop-ups or no indication with the set-up?

oi oi,

yes thats correct and i think youll find it said i was fishing on clean gravel because the fish were there/plus the chod pop up rig aint designed for fishing on clean gravel :wink: .

first time i used a bottom bait in nearly 2 years.

i still use the the running chod pop up rig for most of my lead fishing.

uncle jim

KIR

when you say running do you use no beads/stops at all ?

or one by the lead end of the rig to keep a small distance from the lead ?

if so why ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a fixed chod (helicopter type arrangment) against the free running set-up ?

Any arnswers are appreciated, as i have little experiance with chod/short rigs thankyou.

when you say running do you use no beads/stops at all ?

or one by the lead end of the rig to keep a small distance from the lead ?

if so why ?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a fixed chod (helicopter type arrangment) against the free running set-up ?

Any arnswers are appreciated, as i have little experiance with chod/short rigs thankyou.

Try this:

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26640

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37603

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39127

May give you something to think about, and explain some of the question

Nick, do yo have a pic of how this rig should be set up? i'm targeting a very weedy lake soon and this sort of set up is my first choice. from what levi said, i feel i must find out how it is used properly. can't risk damaging carp at all, especially these carp

Nick, do yo have a pic of how this rig should be set up? i'm targeting a very weedy lake soon and this sort of set up is my first choice. from what levi said, i feel i must find out how it is used properly. can't risk damaging carp at all, especially these carp

Dont know if this is of use, but having read the thread there are no solid answere to this rig, Why is that? I have not used it but seems strait forward to me if i am understanding it as it should Be? the one thing I dont get, is how do you know/find the correct distance of the top bead from the lead? I presume that on the cast the hook rig will be against the top bead also?

http://www.google.com/search?q=chod+rig+pics

I know mate, i have found so many versions my self. i have no idea about your questions. what sort of knot would you recommend for the swivel end? the problem is im not confident in tying fluorocarbon at all.

Dont know if this is of much help but here goes,

I find that most loop knots work well with fluro, figure of 8 knots seem to be the simplest and one of the most reliable if correctly tightened down.

I find that knots like grinner knots/blood knots tend to damage the line and often over tighten causing it to strangle its self against the swivel/steel loop etc. (even with lubrication)

I find that 3 turns on a grinner knot is as strong as 4 or 5 turns in fluro ands stiff rig but i prefer loops as i have found them to be stronger/sturdier.

Jack :)

I hinted at this a while ago in another thread.

Sorry I do not have access to a printer scanner etc,so no pictures.

Also please bare with me on this one as it is quite lengthy.

This is what I see done on various waters up and down country.

The short rig is tiedup,threaded onto some leadcore inbetween two beads,and the popup is added,sometimes there is a gap between the beads,othertime not as in a helicopter,and a lead is attatched to the leadcores end.

The whole lot is then hurled out to the horizon,and the rod is placed onto its rest.

The line is then tightend untill drumtight etc etc.

The lead has either buried itself in the silt,weed orCHOD{FOR YOU NICK}and the line being tightend will pull the said popup into the silt or weed

A carp picks up and is hooked by the tight line and the not so luckey angler also picks up..

During the fight the angler is pulling on the hook one way,the lead is doing one of two things,if the beads are fixed eitherside the hooklink,then the lead will be hanging down set distance from the hookand bouncing off obsticals in the water and the fishes side.

The result is dammage to the fishes side with the lead :evil:and dammage to the carps mouth :evil: from the hook being pulled the oppersite way by the lead.

If the beads are set a wide distance appart then the lead will see-saw up and down the side of the carps head :evil: and also most likely pull the hook after some mouth dammage. :evil: .

If the fish breaks the anglers mainline then it is in effect towing a length of leadcore and lead around the lake untill snagged if the beads are fixed :evil:

Now picture this:-a rubber bead is threaded on the mainline with a baiting needle through the side.

The leader is made up as this one end has a swivel on coverd in a safety clip tailrubber,to this swival the lead is tied with 4lb line approx.

Onto this leader a short rig is slipped and then the mainline is tied to the leader,then the bead on the line is carefully pushed down to the leader knot.

You now have a leader 18"-6ft with nothing stoping the hooklink sliding from the lead to the bead on the knot at its end.

You then attatch the popup and tie some pva tape round the rubber tail on the lead end,or a pva nugget if not casting far.

Cast the whole lot out and sink the line but leave it slack,untill it lies on the bottom.

This way the lead is burried in the silt weed OR :oops: and the rest is lieing neatly on top of or just inside the silksilt,weed etc.

The carp comes along and picks up a free runningshort rig.

Theres no resistance and it takes the bait untill its to late where upon it bolts :D and is either hooked by hitting the lead or the bead on the other end or infact you striking.

This is the reason I said it should not be used on gravel,stones etc,as the stones stop the swivel,so the free running rid is now fixed.

Now the angler is pulling the hook oneway,the lead is not moving as it has been pulled tight onto the tail rubber on the leader,no fish dammage :D .

If the angler gets snapped the hooklink simpley slips off the end of the leader as there is nothing to stop it,and if the lead should catch during the fight in weed then the line attatching it to the swival parts :D .

Now this is not my idea,it is something I have seen a number of named anglers doing that are assosiated with the rig,yet nothing in writing anywhere.

It is one of the most widely written about and tried rigs going,and also most widely used incorrectly.

Thats My oppinion and I will stick by it.

do you have to use a leader? can i just use straight through mainline? thanks

Have i got this completely wrong but i thought a chod rig was a specific variation on a heli rig, where a piece of stiff curved mono usually a few inches in length fishes a pop up using the swivel as a counter weight. A heli or silt rig just refers to to a swivel being mounted between two beads with the weight attatched directly to the main line.

i like the name chodanoster a lot more than chod rig,its more fitting to what it is, even more that heli rig, which is more of a laymans term for what it really is,the paternoster

i was using paternosters for pike fishing years before id ever seen a carp , the only difference is back then i fished them vertical, and nowadays in carp fishing their horizontal

cheerscan anybody advise on if there is a way of getting a pva bag/mesh on your rig whilst using a chod rig, do you apply it to the bomb or is there another way of applying it :?:

Before tying it up you can attach it to the bomb clip with the bomb inside, or you can tie it after it has been knotted. Smaller bags/mesh can be fished on the hook itself, or even you can do the same sort of thing as a Stick mix along the hooklink.

obbdob

Hi guy's,

I have never used a Chod rig before but have decided to give it a go. I have bought a few Gardner Chod rigs which are about 2 1/2" in length with a ring on the end. Because I haven't used it before, I want to make sure I am using it in the most effective and safe way possible.

Are chod rigs only used for pop-ups? Can I tie a hooklink to make it longer? How does it attach to the mainline? Does your leader go through it helicopter style? Any help, even pictures would be much appreciated.

beanz

if it was me i would of done a bit of research first before buying

the chod is used to fish over (chod)debris on the bottom,leafs twigs ,weed, etc.

it works best with a pop up......but nothing to say bottom bait couldnt work...it just dont make sense.

the are loads of threads on rigs including the chod,helicopter,paternoster.

just have dig about on here,some gave diagrams on how to tie them.

jules007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well said beanz,

please do your research before using the chod type rig, especially if the leaders are leadcore

obbdob

I totally agree with what your both saying. This rig was bought because I spotted it and have heard about them and wanted to try it out. I have no intention on using it until I know how to. in my post I did state that I wanted to use it safely and I knew this would be the place to get the info needed

i would never use the choddy on weedy waters i like to use lead clip systems but if the weed is not that thick i fish the chod about an inch or half an inch above the weed so when the carp head for the weed to find the natural food they bump into ur hookbait!!! but others may fish it differently.

here is a perfect chod rig for in weedy waters just add pva tape from the lead to the leader for long range casting ;

the rotton rig;

rig20for20fishing20over20weed1.jpg

ive writen on it and it tells ya how the rig works for those whos never seen it before

go look on the korda web site they have a number of items on the chod rig and 2 ways to tie it

in a nutshell its a hellichopter rig with a pop up ,ajust the back beed to the depth of the weed so the rig rund up the leader

Just stumbled across this thread, and have to say, I really like Paul78's Rotton Rig pictured above. Great safety properties and well conceived. I'm def going to use and tinker with it. Cheers Paul.

Shanners.