Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
stu_wigan

Spod & marker Set up

Well my first attempts ended in absolute disaster :lol:

Initially all was well, I was fishing St Johns at Linear, choked with weed but identified a clear patch after 5 minutes and 6 or 7 casts.

I clip up after findng the clear patch, to give it a proper going over, cast out and "feather" the float - as the braid unfurls onto the clip it snaps and I lose my marker float and lead :lol:

Perhaps I wasn't robust enough feathering the cast, I was using my index finger to try to take the power off of the cast. :oops:

muscle20

Posted: 29th Apr 2012 01:04 Post subject: Marker set up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i need to start getting in some marker float work. can i use a normal 2.75 or 3.5tc carp rod . i dont intend to be fishing at great distances and was going to try either 12 or 15lb mono rather than braid.

any thoughts

rosstheangler

Posted: 29th Apr 2012 10:57 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Braid gives you a better feel for the bottom as it has almost no stretch, rod wise that should be ok.

Dedicated marker rods have a different action from normal fishing rods again to help with the feel of the bottom.

gazmeesh

Administrator

Posted: 29th Apr 2012 11:10 Post subject:

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37444

have a look through this. tbh it is pointless using mono for marker work as you will not get a true reading of the lake bed

muscle20

Posted: 29th Apr 2012 22:26 Post subject:

interesting read .what about one of the pre stretched monos ? and are tapered leaders worth getting or just a spool of leader material ?

marty_h

Posted: 29th Apr 2012 22:42 Post subject:

As said above use braid don't bother wasting time and money trying to use mono you won't get hardly any feedback. I use 50lb braid on my marker rod