I've just started to pike fish and i've brought myself a 7' spinning rod and multiplier. I've just loaded it with 30lb braid but every time i cast out a lure the line bird nests so i cant get the distances nor fish properly. How can i stop this other than throwing it away and buying a normal rod and reel.

When casting with a multiplier you need to keep your thumb on the spool or the spool will spin faster than what the line/braid leaves it causeing it to birdsnest, also when fishing with a multiplier your trying to achieve a solid smooth flick ot a whack, its an easy thing to pick up and you will soon get the hang of it mate :wink:

Guest carpercrazyman

multipliers are made for larger lures,

also make sure you dip ure reel in before fishing and every hour or so to keep damp or wet,

Also as soon as your lure is about to hit the water then thumb you reel so the acces braid doesnt get nested

On one side of your reel, probably next to the handle, there should be a small round tensioning nob. Try altering this with the reel in freespool for casting. Then let the lure drop 5/6 foot straight down from the rod tip into the water, set correctly the spool should stop turning as the lure lands in the water :wink: You'll still have to thumb the spool slighty when casting remember.

If your multiplier has magnetic brakes, on the other side of the reel keep these set quite high for now, only try turning these down once your casting has got better. You may find you don't need to alter these at all.

Andy.

I'll get some larger lures i think.

there is a tensioning nob i've tried adjusting it but not in the way that you have described, i'll give that ago and see what happens. Mine hasn't got the magnetic brakes well at least i dont think so anyway!! The joys of learning to lure fish :D