Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
choc

Carp care kits ect.

Gentlemen

I have been reading the thread on unhooking mats with great interest. However, I would like to hear your views on carp care first aid kits ect such as Klin-ik and Medicarp ultra ect. :idea: I would like to see the large tackle companies sell these products at COST to encourage there widespread use. I find it quite alarming the amount of anglers that dont use these products :evil: and I can only think that it is price that is discouaging them. What do you think :?:

I've always seen these kits as a gimmick to be honest mate. Doesn't it just wash straight off when you return them ?

Having seen fish really batter themselves during spawning and then watch them make a full recovery from some nasty cuts / missing scales without the use of these kits, i think that they are hardy enough to cope with a pin prick in their mouths all on their own.

I'm sure people will disagree but that's my opinion on it.

I've always seen these kits as a gimmick to be honest mate. Doesn't it just wash straight off when you return them ?

Having seen fish really batter themselves during spawning and then watch them make a full recovery from some nasty cuts / missing scales without the use of these kits, i think that they are hardy enough to cope with a pin prick in theior mouths all on their own.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree but that's my opinion on it.

There's a new Nash one that supposedly solidifies into a gel after a few seconds, and stays on :wink:

There is a whole list of things that can be used to aid healing in one form or another.

Having seen fish really batter themselves during spawning and then watch them make a full recovery from some nasty cuts / missing scales without the use of these kits.

I agree,however this accures when water is very warm and the carps immune system is working at its best,natures way of making sure they recover.

But when the water temp drops it takes longer for them to heal,and it is very easy for bacteria comen in all waters to invade open cuts and create real problems.

Therefore I would always use a topical treatment below 18oC water temp,and would advise all carpers to do the same.

In fact I feel so strongly I would remove anyone not using a treatment on any water I had control over.

Just seen your reply Levi. :wink:

The tropical treatment that you mention is that the same stuff that Nash , Korda are re packaging ? If so is it available at a lesser price than the branded angling ones ?

I wasn't aware that a carps' immune system was affected by temperature. If that's the case then i will definitely get some :wink:

Do you know if they are actually proven to be of any benefit to the carp ?

There are countless studys,by Vetenery surgeons etc, showing that anything that helps the ingress of bacteria into open wounds,is of benefit.

This basicaly means any topical treatment that has this effect will help.

When I was doing my studys into the effects of hooks on mouths,wounds etc I was stunned by the bennefts.

Likewise the use of antibiotics to help fish with serious problems,but that is another storey.

The tropical treatment that you mention is that the same stuff that Nash , Korda are re packaging ? If so is it available at a lesser price than the branded angling ones ?

I wasn't aware that a carps' immune system was affected by temperature. If that's the case then i will definitely get some :wink:

Being cold blooded and a warm water fish,makes carp very vunrable to tempreture.

The lower the temps the slower a carps metabolism,and its imune responce,which stops compleatly at low[10oC] temps.

Yes the topical treatments packaged for the likes of the various angling shops and tackle makers etc can be bought at realistic prices.

Having seen fish really batter themselves during spawning and then watch them make a full recovery from some nasty cuts / missing scales without the use of these kits, i think that they are hardy enough to cope with a pin prick in their mouths all on their own.

I'm sure people will disagree but that's my opinion on it.

Seleb this is a valid point you raise. Locally we only have Kli-nk available and it is rather costly. Then I agree that seeing that it is liquid form I am convinced that it just washes of as soon as the carp is released. But then our local waters quality is deteriorating and infections are becoming more and more commonly noticed, especially after spawning.

Instead of Kli-nk I have been using a antiseptic cream called bactroban, normally used on humans, for treating hook-up wounds and any other wounds the carp might have. After all if it is good enough for humans I am sure it will be suited to use on carp.

I include two photos.

This is my eldest son, Jaen Claude with his new PB of 18Lb 20oz. It is a beautiful specimen from the picture but on closer inspection one can see the damage of what I feel is previous hook ups.

jc_pb.jpg

Now what I think happened here is that at some stage some-one must have had a very bad hook up and tore this poor chaps mouth to shreds. With the poor quality of the water I reckon infections stepped in and this is what caused this terrible scarring to the mouth. Had the other anglers used either a antiseptic cream or even Kli-nk I think damage would have been minimal and the mouth would have healed much better. If there are maybe some other feelings on why this mouth is so scared I would love to hear them.

ouch.jpg

Being cold blooded and a warm water fish,makes carp very vunrable to tempreture.

The lower the temps the slower a carps metabolism,and its imune responce,which stops compleatly at low[10oC] temps.

Yes the topical treatments packaged for the likes of the various angling shops and tackle makers etc can be bought at realistic prices.

Thanks for the info', I'll look into getting some of this treatment 8) .

There's an aquatics centre pretty close to where i live, i will ask in there for advice :wink: .

Thanks for the info', I'll look into getting some of this treatment 8) .

There's an aquatics centre pretty close to where i live, i will ask in there for advice :wink: .

My advice for what its worth,don't as they will do not different to a tackle shop.

Ill pm you :wink:

Gentlemen

We must remember we are talking about fish skin not human skin. I dont know about this Bactroban apart from you should not get it near the eyes. I was recomended to use Savalon and I have re caught the same fish and their mouths are in good order :D . However I think we should be careful what we use and how we apply it. :?

Gentlemen

We must remember we are talking about fish skin not human skin. I dont know about this Bactroban apart from you should not get it near the eyes. I was recomended to use Savalon and I have re caught the same fish and their mouths are in good order :D . However I think we should be careful what we use and how we apply it. :?

Agreed.

However you either need to use a topical that actualy soaks into the cut,or a waterproof cream that will stay in place.

Most things like germoline,savalon will not stay in place,they are actualy worse that the liquids.

There are waterproof creams that once applied will stay put for a period of time suitable for the carp to beguin its healing.

Gentlemen

Agreed Choc. I will however never use anything on carp before I have made 100% sure that it is safe. The cream is water resistant and local experts are of opinion it is 100% safe.

PS: The main reason for going with Bactroban and not the Savlon cream is the condition of our local waters. We have hardly any fisheries/syndicates here and are forced to fish public waters.

It's been mentioned about the cost of products involed in Carp care.

Come on, does that really matter? As long as the correct care and treatment is given to the fish, surely that's all that counts.

Come on, does that really matter? As long as the correct care and treatment is given to the fish, surely that's all that counts.

Yes it does matter.

There are people going fishing that are on there knuckle bones when it comes to money.

I met someone this summer who was and is still pennyless,he goes fishing to take his mind of his problems :wink:

He is not alone,when made bankrupt,the tackle is not normaly taken :wink:

So every penny that can be saved by these people or kids is a bonus.

When it comes to carp care the tackle manafactures should put there gear out at realistic prices.

Yes it does matter.

There are people going fishing that are on there knuckle bones when it comes to money.

I met someone this summer who was and is still pennyless,he goes fishing to take his mind of his problems :wink:

When it comes to carp care the tackle manafactures should put there gear out at realistic prices.

Yes but some people might use a cheap product which, although they think might be doing the fish good, could in fact be doing the opposite.

I agree that the manufactures should be more realistic with prices but they know there's a demand for their products so they will try and get the best price.

I just think that with all the money we spend on fishing, rods, reels, tackle, bait, etc. and the cost of actually going fishing that the cost of Carp care is minimal in comparison.

Yes it does matter.

Yes but some people might use a cheap product which, although they think might be doing the fish good, could in fact be doing the opposite.

I agree that the manufactures should be more realistic with prices but they know there's a demand for their products so they will try and get the best price.

I just think that with all the money we spend on fishing, rods, reels, tackle, bait, etc. and the cost of actually going fishing that the cost of Carp care is minimal in comparison.

In the normal run of things I would agree.

However there are anglers out there on a realy tight buget,that being the case they are more likely to use something if it costs pence, then they are if its pounds.

At the end of the day any form of liquid iodine if perfect for hook holds.

For scin cuts split fins etc you need something in cream or spray gel form.

There are countless products on the market suitable.