Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

European Arrivals? Poaching!!! "can we steal your fish?

The other thing that annoys me is here in Australia i am a vistor its not my country or culture so i respect the laws and the culture even though i do not agree with all of them mainly that most states it is law to kill carp if caught as there classed a pest and threat to native fish. As it would be illegal and not culturly right to fish for them anywhere but the ACT I chose not to then i am respecting this country.

The sollution is British culture, values, traditions and laws come first in Britain and thats the responsibilty of the elected govermnt of the country. This problm extends beyond our sport for instance our membership of the EU requires British ships to fly th EU flag as opposed to just the Union Jack. This goverment are weak and perfectic and will not stand upto the EU and the Eu does nothing for us as a country. Its time the British goverment looked after Britain and its people including lawful migrants that have come to Britain 2+ generations ago and respect our laws and culture and adapted and Europe Last.

Many oppostion parties warned Labour that the expansion of the Eu would lead to increased Crime, increased population causing extra pollution, a drain on the schools, hospitals etc etc and it has.

The simple truth is the people commiting this particular crime are eastern european showing no respect for the law of the culture and people do not like to be told.

End the stupid EU free movement and start deporting people who do not respect our laws. If the current goverment won't the conservatives will.

Sorry for the politics but its where the problem lays.

It is not illegal to return carp in NSW, and if you are unhook the beast in the water you aren't 'returning' it. Laws state that certain fish "must not be returned to the water alive"

There is a similar problem here with Chinese people who will take anything, and I mean anything from the water. As you have said, some people have absolutely no respect for local laws, ethics and traditions. 1 strike you're out, don;t let the door hit you where the good lord split you as you're leaving. You want politics? Try getting action when the people doing the illegal fishing are driving cars with diplomatic plates.

I've fished 4 days out of the past 7, on 3 occasions a group of Chinese have been taking 2-3inch redfin. (note that redfin are a significant pest, there are no size or bag limits and guidelines 'recommend' not returning them to the water*, the disease they spread (EHN) has all but wiped out the native silver and macquarie perch). In some ways they are doing the lake a favour. They speak perfect english when you have a chat.... 2 days later when you ask what they're going to do with the bucket of sardine sized fish sticks they've caught they don;t seem to speak or understand a word of it. God help them if I catch them with an undersized or out of season native.

I fish quite often with a vietnamese bloke, we regularly amuse ourselves by catching decent fish in good quantities in front of them and watching the reactions when we release them. They usually try and 'fish in your pocket' by moving as close as possible.

If you can't respect the laws and values of your host nation, go back to where you came from. Incidentally that was what the cronulla riots were all about. Sad that it takes a riot for the police to do anything about a situation as serious as a certain ethnic group going around sexually harassing young girls, ripping off bikinis and such.

Problems from certain groups are well documented in a myriad of countries, the big question is what do you do when the authorities fail to act?

Cheers,

Techo

*Despite research from the DPI, who make and publish the regs, also stating that rec angling is not a form or pest control and will never made a dent in established populations....

Wow! this thread has been a wake up call for me. America is headed down the same road on many of these issues.

Here it is legal to take any fresh water species for food, with some restrictions on size (largemouth, smallmouth), season (striped bass during their spawn) and a ban on angling on top of "fish ladders".

Most of our ponds are actually streams and ditches that have been expanded and blocked with a shallow dam, so they put in a ladder for the fish so they can migrate and spawn.

There are a small number of salt water species that may not be kept. Having said that, nearly all fresh water angling is catch and release and a good bit of the ocean fishing as well.

Here we also have "valued guests" who seem to disregard the VERY FEW restrictions we have. The classic case is a young fellow who works at the local hospital and fishes right on top of a fish ladder. I watch him take his stringer back to his car quite often. No license but does wear his hospital I.D. and uniform...

He works in the right spot, the water he fishes is badly polluted and there is an advisory against consuming those fish. It's all in the free pamphlet they would give him if he bothered to spend $10 USD for a license.

I hope none of you get into trouble for fisticuffs or getting in with a 40 gram dart on some poacher's double top...... This angler would hesitate to scare poachers with the ole shotgun under the relatively liberal U.S. gun laws.

Must take some serious sand to do that on your side of the ditch. That leads me to believe that the problem runs deep and serious.

Myself, I am quite crazy if the local tales are to be accepted. So far haven't come up against the scofflaw I could not convince to move on without getting myself in trouble.

Our authorities are getting to be as bad as what I am reading here. Right now our game wardens are spread pretty thin.

We only have about six wardens for the whole state of Delaware. The officers themselves do solid work, but our administrations and courts are going the way that yours seem to have.

Some of our valued guests from "way down south" are among the frequent offenders hereabouts.

There is a ban on swimming in fisheries. They love doing that too. Although field research has proven that the mere presence of a 300lb man in a kilt causes them to pack in and leave right smartly. Live and learn.

Our valued guests also get preferential service with entitlements.

Reading this tells me it will get worse here too. Good luck with your waters, try not to get yourselves in the soup and don't give up the good fight.

warren123

Dead Lining please read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

I just wanted to make you aware as to what Dead Lining is all about, those of you who know what this is, please bear with me if I can enlighten one person I will feel this has been worthwhile.

Dead lining involves a length of fishing line (normally in excess of 25lb) with a baited hook; this is then secured to overhanging tree branch or secured under the water via a stake, now this doesn’t sound that bad the trouble is that the scum that leave these traps will walk around the lake a leave these traps in every part of the lake they can get away with.

Now the crunch

They will return either at first light or just after dark this depends on when they left them, they then check the lines and any Carp – Fish that has been caught will be KILLED and taken away and eaten.

Things to look for

People creeping around quiet areas of your lake, in snags if you see somebody who looks a bit iffy say hello and you might get the hint. I am not going to open a can of worms on this subject.

Happy Fishing

Warren

bombjack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got to admit i've never heard of this before, but it's disgusting........

cal35

unfortunately there are alot of people that do this on a local stretch of river to me and it sickens me to death when i hear stoires of double figure barbel and 5lb + chub being killed. i wouldnt try and confront them by yourself as there are many people that have been attacked !

another thing to look out for: people diving in the lake! what they do near me

papabill

oh my god, id go flippin mental if i saw anyone doing that!

bill

thedddjjj

Its quite common actually, I have found and removed them myself. Its the travellers/romanians/polish immigrants that are (generally) responsible so it depends where you live.

An angling club near me recently had someone arrested for this thanks to the help of the EA, so buy a rod licence this year PLEASE!

Good thread.

bluebirdjones

bombjack wrote:

I've got to admit i've never heard of this before, but it's disgusting........

I've heard of this happening before, I've heard it called Night Lining

carpyadz

i dont want to affend anyone and sorry if i do but we get dead lining on our water sometimes. i found it tyed round a tree and its the polish that do it on our lake. if i saw them do it i would go mental at them

parry101

Never heard of this happening where I live. Will keep an eye out though.

gazmeesh

on a water that i bailif this is done with CRAB line by our not so friendly you know who

warren123

Hi all

Nice to see that some of you have got the idea, and will understand what I ment about opening a can of worms as I am new to the forum and diden't want to say the wrong thing, but one person hit the nail on the head (nice one Jon) mind you never thought about the hammer, I alwas trust my bass ball bat.

I will be going hunting opps I ment fishing and there are going to be five of us keeping a very close eye on the matter in hand.

Cheers

Warren

thedddjjj

Is this political correctness gone mad or something? I don't think many born and bred english people eat carp do you? Just say it as it is.

thedddjjj

OOPs, Warren beat me to it with slightly more tact

warren123

that will be a first me being tactfull, I have a very low tolerance of idiots especially when it has anything to do with my fishing

daleg2008

Back in the day i know a lot of English people ate pike and other stuff out of the river. not to sure about carp though?

I have "copied and pasted" from the Dead Line thread which I have removed as this thread is already in existance. I have also removed references that condone violence.

Whatever you think Violence will not be condoned or accepted on this forum.

Also please note if you discover any Illegal Fishing:

Another important piece of information for you.

The Environment Agency Hotline Number:

From a Landline this is a Freephone number, from a mobile remove the first 0, and unfortunately you will be charged on some networks.

This number is for Pollution, Illegal Fishing and other issues.

liamfish14

Post subject: POACHERS AND THEFT -Not strictly carpy - but read it :)

I was reading the angling times today and one of the first articals I come across was the River Shannon.

They caught a group of french pikers using LIVE important CARP as their bait.

(I am against all live baiting)

But I think these people where aware of what they were doing and taking the fish is illegal for a start but all live baiting is illegal in ireland (God bless Irish fishing laws)

----

The second artical I come across happens to be more poachers.

A baillife on a popular day ticket river found 17 baited set lines they were constructed of 30lb braid and wire trebel traces baited with sandeels.

---

It was mid winter and I remember seeing Polish Pikers down my local canal and I could not help but think they are taking the fish back for dinner.

Fish theft has been an incresing problem for a long time people have know about it but I dont think they were prepared to admit to it I just hope the EA and Police crack down because it is not acceptable.

Liam.

newbiecarpangler

Posted: 29th May 2009 23:26 Post subject:

at the end of the day they are foreigners, some of which could possibly not even be here legally, i've heard of stories where some have been caught poaching and were found out not to be in the country legally.

its a joke to be honest, when i caught them on my club lake i had the urge to shout them over so i could give them a good kick in, but i thought well ill just let the club baliff deal with it etc...

live baiting is cruel regardless of it being a fish, the fish still has a sense of feeling. Its like a story in america where people were using live dogs on hooks as bait to try and catch great whites.

Its just a shame people dont give the same views as they do when its an animal such as a dog, i just wish people would leap to the defense of fish like they do other animals.

liamfish14

Posted: 29th May 2009 23:34 Post subject:

Could not agree more.

Not heard of the Americans doing that.

That too be honest makes my blood boil - how could ANYONE do that the catch a poxy shark!!!

I could go on for ever about but I wont !! Lol.

Heard about the americans using TREBALS for carp fishing !!

diablo_o35s

Posted: 30th May 2009 00:11 Post subject:

A reflection of this is maybe if British employers did not extract the urine and pay them (the foreigners) a decent wage whilst working here (legally or however else) then they may not resort to such barbaric methods of feeding themselves. But that is another subject entirely.......

Live baiting is legal and acceptable in some circles on this side of the pond. Certain species are banned as live bait though, and of course we have those who violate the ban.

Even fairly law abiding types with all of their licenses, boat permits, safety gear have told me stories where they had to cut their line because a game enforcement officer was approaching.

I guess the moral of this story is, no matter how permissive or restrictive the rules - there will always be some joker(s) who have to cross the line.

This seems to be dangerously veering off topic into some Daily Mail hate campaign.

What started off as a story of an individual with no moral substance with regards to fish welfare or the further enjoyment of others sems to have descended into a chance for those with less tolerant views to use this as a political forum.

Before you brand all migrants as thieving sponging gypsy types lets not forget that the vast majority come here to work and earn and honest crust, and honest crust I might add which is then taxed by the treasury.

Those jobs didn't magically appear overnight, they've always been there, it's just that there are too many lazy dossites on our resident of our own shores who would rather fester away on the dole than work for a living.

Guest Anonymous

100% agreed with your views & I agree it's gone off topic so I may aswell add this........

I work alongside a lot of Polish blokes who will & do work real hard for their money but as you say, these jobs didn't appear overnight... they were created by laying off British workers so they could be replaced with cheaper labour! FACT!!!!!!

This seems to be dangerously veering off topic into some Daily Mail hate campaign.

What started off as a story of an individual with no moral substance with regards to fish welfare or the further enjoyment of others sems to have descended into a chance for those with less tolerant views to use this as a political forum.

Before you brand all migrants as thieving sponging gypsy types lets not forget that the vast majority come here to work and earn and honest crust, and honest crust I might add which is then taxed by the treasury.

Those jobs didn't magically appear overnight, they've always been there, it's just that there are too many lazy dossites on our resident of our own shores who would rather fester away on the dole than work for a living.

As x2gsd has nicely pointed out, these "Economic Migrants" are taking jobs at far less wages than British Nationals can afford to go. You earn £4.50 a square metre for 10 years (the price has not risen for plastering in that long), and then Polish workers come in and will work for £1.20 a square metre. The Brits do get laid off. I have been asking around for Building site work at a rate that I can survive on to pay rent, feed myself, family and children, and have been undercut. I can not afford to go any cheaper. Even more is that this is now getting to the stage that Eastern Europeans are undercutting British Self Employed people in their work quotes. Being beaten on a job I know will have problems which I have allowed in the price is not doing anyone any favours. The Eastern European worker does the job (with no qualifications or to British regulations), in Poland (for example) he was a shopkeeper or similar. I have over time studied the Building regs, understand the Wiring Regulations and know what I can and can't do.

I'm sure further up this thread or others that I have posted this problem before as well.

It is these same Eastern Europeans who then go fishing and remove fish from our rivers.

I actually know a section of my local River that the Polish (and it was definitely Polish as I know the firm they work for), were working during the day, doing a full shift on an NHS contract with the Building company, and then fishing for their dinner, and staying in the building they were working in.

newbiecarpangler

Posted: 29th May 2009 21:17 Post subject: You will not believe this.

It was a nice hot day today, 25 degrees or so , so i decided to take the dog for a walk to one of my club lakes which is rarely fishing by some of the members.

Anyway got to the lake to find 2 guys in a canoe, yes a canoe, and a rod, with a wet sack attached to the canoe trailing in the water.

Anyway i kept on walking pretending that it wasnt anything out of the ordinary just so they thought i wasnt acting suspicious. While i continued walking i ran my club lake baliff who i've never seen get to the lake so quickly.

Anyway the police were then called and when they arrived they signalled for the guys in the canoe to come over. As they came over the sack which was trailing behind the canoe began to crash about in the shallow water.

Anyway the police handed the sack straight over to the baliff as he advised them of what it was most likely going to be. And how right the baliff was.... In the bag was 2 carp, both around the 15lb - 20lb mark. One a mirror and one a common.

And yes you guessed it, the guys were polish. They thought that it was perfectly ok to bring there canoe onto our club lake and try and take our carp.

They had parked up in the car park and went past the notice board which clearly stated that this was a club lake, and the thing that peeved me off was the fact that the notice stating that you have to be a member of the club to fishing etc.....and not to remove or introduce new water life to the lake was clearly stated in Polish, Spanish and French.

Anyway, all of there item's were confiscated, there names and addresses were taken, not to forget the sea fishing size hooks they had caught the carp on.

anyway, i think i will be taking alot more walks down to my club lakes in the future.

crappercarper

Posted: 29th May 2009 21:24 Post subject:

did they get arrested? let off? a slap?

makes me mad and i would of followed them home and gave them a firm telling off

mindgame

Posted: 29th May 2009 21:24 Post subject:

I bet your glad you found them in time, i'm very surprised at this, first time i have ever heard people stealing carp!

Well done on ringing the bailiff and let's hope it doesn't happen in future.

tucker74

Posted: 29th May 2009 21:29 Post subject:

Sign of the times mate, and it is there culture.

We have turkey for xmas they eat carp for xmas. That is the truth. They eat for free in there country. Lets hope the police deal with this in the right manner and not sweep it under the carpet, and put the right message out.

newbiecarpangler

Posted: 29th May 2009 21:46 Post subject:

well for 1 i know they definently had no fishing license, and that was clearly state to the police. So hopefully they get a heft fine and a caution.

It just sickens me. Our club uses all of its membership money to get decent sized fish put into there to make it better for the members.

regardless of whether its what they eat and they eat it in there country for free, this is'nt there country and the fish certainly are'nt there fish to take or eat.

These carp were specimen carp, and were very exspensive, most of which were put in the lake from the weight of 10lbs..and it was something like £6.00 per pound for those fish and i can tell you a quite a few fish of that size were bought and placed in there.

tucker74

Posted: 29th May 2009 21:52 Post subject:

Like i said lets hope the police do there job.

Cause if you get otters move on your water there's no law gonna help your club.

mstarks

Posted: 29th May 2009 22:17 Post subject:

I was talking to the balliff at monks fishery last year and he told me they had polish fishermen on sight .When he approached them he noticed they had a barbeque on the go and asked him where they could get some tomato sauce when asked why they replied that they needed it for their fish. when asked where the fish had come from they said the lake. when told that they had to leave the sight they replied that they had paid for their ticket so should not have to leave

liamfish14

Posted: 29th May 2009 22:18 Post subject: un bloody real!

I agree tottaly it sickens me too!

I read to articals in the angling times this week about bloody forigeners taking our fish ( pike this time) ussing live roach and CARP in northern ireland.

and then another ENGLISH fishermen with 30lb braid, with 20 lines in the river wye i think it was.

i just cant belive the lack of respect people have for there own wildlife, animals , fish and just most things.

discusts me.

diablo_o35s

Posted: 29th May 2009 22:49 Post subject:

I have heard of this near a few places in my locality, a few Eastern Europeans have dabbled in a spot of carp rustling, they love to eat them I believe and is a cheap and easy ish meal ticket...

liamfish14

Posted: 29th May 2009 23:04 Post subject:

just out of curosity where is this lake?

newbiecarpangler

Posted: 29th May 2009 23:09 Post subject:

its near boldon, not far from newcastle.

andynovicecarpangler

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 11:59 Post subject:

mstarks wrote:

I was talking to the balliff at monks fishery last year and he told me they had polish fishermen on sight .When he approached them he noticed they had a barbeque on the go and asked him where they could get some tomato sauce when asked why they replied that they needed it for their fish. when asked where the fish had come from they said the lake. when told that they had to leave the sight they replied that they had paid for their ticket so should not have to leave

this also happened at bramcote mains Andy the baliff was telling me , he said he came onto the lake to collect ticket moneys and there were two minibusses parked up , having barbecue and stuff , turned out they were catching carp , gutting them and putting them straight on the barby , he said he hadnt turned up until 11ish so they could have been there for a long time .

sorry for my next comment , but all you foreigners who think its ok to eat the fish that we pay to catch and respect , go back to where you came from . AND THIS GOVERNMENT IS A SHAMBLES ITS THERE FAULT along with every thing else that goes on in this country

makes me very angry

Edited for swearing BBJ

newbiecarpangler

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 12:09 Post subject:

We understand that your annoyed like all of us are at the current situation on some waters, not all, but some.

secondly, try to refrain yourself from using bad language. Although it's censored and what not, there is kids that do come on the forums for advice and most likely are able to get the just of what censored words you are using.

It wouldnt look good if his parents are sitting there watching him read it and they see your censored language lol.

Try and voice your views in a mature manner because you can get your point across without being in an angry state while typing.

jeffmb

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 12:23 Post subject:

You know where the worst of this happens, on rivers...

You can walk along my local river lea and sometimes find thick sea fishing lines tied to the base of trees, boat moorings etc, which have been thrown out to trap fish that the would-be capture retrieves a day or so later.

The EA says there is a massive problem with poaching on the rivers and canals as there's just not enough people, time and money to manage the miles and miles of water...

Really happy you caught these people, fine they say they are doing what is natural in their homeland, but this is not their home and they should respect out laws etc, which let's be honest they know they are breaking. They can read and understand english enough to read a sign, they just play the innocent 'I didn't know' card....

If I made the laws of this land it would be simple...

Abuse our rules - get deported - end of...

Sponsored links

jeffmb

I respect your opinion and agree that anyone who abuses laws, rules and regulations should be punished, but to target only foreign people for damaging fish stocks isn't quite just, for their are many British idiot anglers using crude tackle and tactics that result in thousands of Carp deaths around the country each year...

I for one and married to a 'foreigner' but in appreciation of your genuine concern won't take offense to your comment. However, other people may, just a heads-up...

andynovicecarpangler

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 12:35 Post subject:

i am happy that you dont take offence but it is fact .

i have freedom to say how i feel the same as the next person .

if you think that the foreigners that have been let in here have not taken advantage in lots of ways of this country then you feel free.However , i believe different .

newbiecarpangler

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 12:37 Post subject:

at the end of the day, most of those "foreigners" are only doing what they would do in there own country. They probably don't understand that its not the same here.

but it is still annoying

jeffmb

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 12:42 Post subject:

andynovicecarpangler wrote:

i am happy that you dont take offence but it is fact .

i have freedom to say how i feel the same as the next person .

if you think that the foreigners that have been let in here have not taken advantage in lots of ways of this country then you feel free.However , i believe different .

Oh again I totally agree, plenty of people come here and abuse every system and rule we have, from benefits to taking fish, there's plenty up to no good...

BUT, there are also lot's of our fellow Brits doing just the same every day... It's a bit of the 'pot calling the kettle black' in my opinion, for we should look to get our own ship in order before we tar all foreigners with the same brush...

Last edited by jeffmb on 2nd Jun 2009 13:12; edited 1 time in total

newbiecarpangler

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 12:42 Post subject:

There is many many many foreigners in this country that show our country respect for giving them another chance at having a life, earning a living. there is some very respectful foreigners that respect the people in this country..

jeffmb

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 13:04 Post subject:

newbiecarpangler wrote:

at the end of the day, most of those "foreigners" are only doing what they would do in there own country. They probably don't understand that its not the same here.

but it is still annoying

Believe me, most, if not all know what they are doing is wrong here, but at the same time they know they can firstly play the innocent 'didn't know' card as I said before, and they also know that the punishment for breaking the rules is either minimal or non-existent...

jeffmb

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 13:08 Post subject:

newbiecarpangler wrote:

There is many many many foreigners in this country that show our country respect for giving them another chance at having a life, earning a living. there is some very respectful foreigners that respect the people in this country..

Totally true, with my wife and her family included...

As always it's the ignorant minority that make life hard for everyone else, but that's life these days...

pali

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 13:56 Post subject:

For your information, here are some facts from Slovakia:

Carp is traditional meal in Central Europe since ever. To eat fresh water fish is even promoted by government because of health reasons. Most of anglers eating fish agree that the best size of carp to cook is maximum 5 - 6 lbs and that is mostly a target fish for them.

15 years ago almost everyone took fish which was caught and about at that time catch and release started to be promoted. Now there are about 10% anglers who release every catch and maybe another 15% who take only small fish and release trophy size carp.

In the past there was no limit on how much fish you could take. This year there is a limit of 50 fish in a year. Also you can take a carp between 40 and 70 cm on some venues. Also there are few pure catch and release waters in the country.

In the past it was rather unusual if somebody went to jail because of poaching but few years ago the law changed and now it is enough to cast out without license or to use illegal methods (dead lining or nets) and you could be prosecuted. In Slovakia we have about 300 cases of prosecuted anglers in a year. The biggest problem is on rivers.

Poachers are mostly low educated ignorant and selfish people who disrespect decency ANYWHERE. Those easteuropeans who create problems in UK would be a problem here as well.

jeffmb

Posted: 2nd Jun 2009 14:34 Post subject:

pali wrote:

Poachers are mostly low educated ignorant and selfish people who disrespect decency ANYWHERE. Those easteuropeans who create problems in UK would be a problem here as well.

Exactly, as you say, there are people everywhere, including many British people here, that know the rules but choose to ignore them...

It doesn't matter where you are form, rules are rules, and there are those that respect them and those that knowingly break them... It is up to the governing bodies to apply harsher penalties...

roosterbooster

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:19 pm Post subject:

i think all eastern euro people should be band from all our fishing lakes, gets me right up when i hear about them taking our fish, they are sucking everything out of our country, ever since england joined the eu and let all these eu tramp people in its killing everything our econamy is gone bad there are no jobs, we have swine flu crimes gone up, and even our sport fish are not safe list goes on, soz about that rant needed that off my chest

potholebill

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:03 am Post subject:

Yes, immigration is a problem, but swine flu, come on how can you blame them for that? And the economy, i think that was mainly down to bad bankers which in turn affected the job situation.

this neo gezzer spouting off,the fact are there,if he had his own fishery would he be saying the same,people like him are messing this country right up,you lose your human rights when you commit the crime,and to say thier putting money into this country,dont make me laught most are on minium wage paying hardly no tax,but getting working tax credit,child surpport,free health care,dental treatment,lol wake up .live by our rules or leave,the english need to unite and stand up ,england used to be mighty now it wimpers in the corner,sad sad sad

Edited to remove swearing. Please don't do it again. Stoogi.

l33lee Posted: 4th Jun 2010 21:49 Post subject: STOP ILLEGAL FISHING

i just swiped this from a new facebook about stopping illegal fishing if you on facebook you should join to show your support , but i did get this from them

Iinformation hotline 01533 785894 for people to report illegal fishing activities

If a crime is actually in progress you are asked to telephone 0800 807060.

ive put both numbers in my phone ,,,,,,,,,,well just thought i would share this info ,,,

russ_29 Posted: 5th Jun 2010 19:49 Post subject:

im a member looks well organized and defo a good idea com on guys n girls join the group our sport needs you

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111904595521117&ref=ts

vinyljunkie Posted: 5th Jun 2010 20:21 Post subject:

Its a great idea, im just interested to see how many prosecutions really come of this

l33lee Posted: 6th Jun 2010 15:39 Post subject:

what weve got to remember is that if we (fishermen) dont do anything nothing will be done now i know that if the 3million fishermen in the uk stand up to be counted we could force changes , or at least try ,the biggest crime is to do nothing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rant over

beza26 Posted: 6th Jun 2010 19:57 Post subject:

l33lee wrote:

what weve got to remember is that if we (fishermen) dont do anything nothing will be done now i know that if the 3million fishermen in the uk stand up to be counted we could force changes , or at least try ,the biggest crime is to do nothing ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rant over

Well said mate, ill be chucking the number in my phone

Had a guy come up to me the other day whilst down the river (not fishing by the way) asking if it was ok to fish with nets :shock: I know its rife but us guys in the north east havent really seen it so much, same with the otters. Bit of a shock to say the least :(

l33lee

Posted: 12th Jun 2010 09:05 Post subject: STOP ILLEGAL FISHING ; UPDATE

Select: All, Read, None

Show:AllUnread

Stop illegal fishing update

To members of Stop illegal fishing

Carl Street 11 June at 09:54 Reply

A great start to the group.

We have had enquirys from water authorities,fishing mags and a radio station as well as enquiries from fishing bodies in Ireland and Italy.

The bigger the group and the more input we get from members will give us a better chance of tackling illegal fishing.

We can not do this without your help,so please visit the group and click on "invite friends" and help us to help the authorites in putting a stop to illegal fishing before we have no fish left to fish for.

Thank you for your help and co operation.

Regards

Stop illegal fishing

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111904595521117#!/group.php?gid=111904595521117&v=wall&ref=ts

While I applaud the efforts being made by using Facebook in bringing this up, there is an even MORE effective way of Anglers getting more backing and support by joining The Anglers Trust.

Maybe it is me being cynical, but it seems that many would just play around on the Internet and give their "verbal" support to a petition or online campaign, but the reality is that there needs to be financial support and back up.

For the £20 a year that it costs to be part of Angling Trust, you really are making a difference.

www.anglingtrust.net

I agree with you completly.

The trouble is most anglers will sound off but few will stand up and be counted.

Social networking is very fast becoming a big part of peoples lives today.

Trying to get anglers to go to a particular website is very hard,but what if we can get people to interact in an environment where they are already happy to be and mabe just mabe we can get those anglers to create a database of areas in the UK that have problems with illegal fishing practices so it can be used as a reference for the authorities to help them in their task.

The word "Fishing" doesnt easily hit the news headlines but the word "Facebook" does. So by putting the two together hopefully we will get heard.

If this group had been created a year or so back i doubt if it would have succeded but i think now anglers have had enough of the rape and pillaging of our waters. The facebook group has had nearly 3000 members in under a week.

Look out all illegal anglers, we have had enough!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111904595521117#

hookedoncarp Posted: 11th Jan 2012 11:51 Post subject: Europeans helping themselves to dinner from British rivers

This is really starting to annoy me that nothing can be done about Europeans (i wont be specific) helping themselves to the fish from British rivers. Carp as well as Pike seem to be the main targets. I heard a story yesterday about my friend who fishes the same stretch of river as me, he went down yesterday and found seven Pike tails piled on the bank. Disgusting! I think its safe to say its not the natives doing the damage. 10 years ago you would never see this happening. I think that stretch of river is pretty much dead now for Pike fishing.

Ive even started noticing a few lakes around my area putting up 'don't eat the fish' signs... it sickens me.

Is there an answer to this problem? ...i can;t think of a legitable one.

Sorry for the rant

derbybeef Posted: 11th Jan 2012 11:52 Post subject:

Agree also saw your post on Twitter.

zammmo Posted: 11th Jan 2012 12:28 Post subject:

This question really bothers me and theres not a day goes by that I don't think about it.

It's not just fish but a lot of swans are being killed as well.

I also belive that a good percentige of tackle thefts are commited by the same people.

At the moment you are allowed to take so many fish per day,they need to make it illegal and then make the punishment fit the crime, start by hanging them...

hookedoncarp Posted: 11th Jan 2012 12:40 Post subject:

The sad thing is i don't think anything can be done. There isn't enough environmental officers to get the culprits in time, the police don't treat it as a 'real' crime.. and that only leaves anglers. These people set up camps along the river during the night, catch fish/swans via illegal methods and bbq them on the bank... its not hard to catch them.

Oh yeah... and they leave ALL the rubbish behind too.

moorsey Posted: 11th Jan 2012 13:14 Post subject:

Once the HS2 has been completed and the otters are fully "re-installed" they will have to buy their food like everyone else.

villaparkb6 Posted: 11th Jan 2012 16:41 Post subject:

you know how its impossible to police eastern Europeans when they're barbequeing our fish and wildfowl stocks , do you think it would be impossible to police "someone" who was culling their local otter population with say a high powered air rifle ? or do you think that would be a matter for the rspca, i suppose its ok to murder specimen fish and swans though.......does me head in this subject, buy some cod outta asda the same as the locals you.

mykie Posted: 11th Jan 2012 18:09 Post subject:

We could always go fish in eastern europe, must be quite empty by now

:lol:

I remember a program of Matt Hayes where he went to checkelovakia and his guide was saying there were only 3 lakes in the whole of the country that still had fish in them.The lake they were fishing allegedly had fish in it, they fish it for three days and caught naff all...

I remember a program of Matt Hayes where he went to checkelovakia and his guide was saying there were only 3 lakes in the whole of the country that still had fish in them.The lake they were fishing allegedly had fish in it, they fish it for three days and caught naff all...

Give me a break! Though situation is far from optimum but if you want to catch fish, you can. It is a bit challenge to catch a big one but not impossible. Yes, carp is eaten, so far, so good. But where do you think I could catch fish you can see in this thread: http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35076&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Give me a break! Though situation is far from optimum but if you want to catch fish, you can. It is a bit challenge to catch a big one but not impossible. Yes, carp is eaten, so far, so good. But where do you think I could catch fish you can see in this thread: http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35076&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Perhaps I should have pointed out they were fishing for Pike...

ukgaz Posted: 18th Apr 2012 22:32 Post subject: Stolen carp by Europeans

Ive heard of a couple of pools being fished by Europeans and they have taken fish i duno if these are the real deal but a bloke i was speaking to last week was adamant about it happening, ive read elsewhere about pools in my area having simlar issues (even seen a video on youtube were a pool had cctv camras installed on an island because of this) is this a wide spread problem? has anyone else heard of this in there area?

As has been pointed out probably a few times, report it (freephone) to the EA on 0800807060.

You may not get much info back, but the more we report, hopefully the more things will start to turn around.

i was at my local lake the other day and the balieff caught 3 blokes with 4 big mirror carp dead in the back of there van one of the fish was a 20 pounder

Its a great shame this is not a islamic country as we all know what they do to "thieves". All we can do "at worse" is to kick them out as undesireable ! This is the "worse"? whats the best ? give them a free couple of nights in there favourite hotel and a couple of hundred quid..or just ignore them ! "no way " jose !

surely that is not what we should do ,impound there car (prob not insured anyway) .arrest them (probably aliens and illegal ) then make shure the force of the law is applied. Then "kick" them out as undisrebles !

They are basically thieves and murderers (of fish) and should be treated as such ! But gather yu have a problem finding a policeman willing to arrest them, (esp if its private land they are found or stolen from)because of the cost involved in get an interpreter! and all that paper work the police have to do after they arrest them..