Advanced Carp Fishing

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its times like this where I wish I took more photo's, themn people could see some of my discovery's.

Even though they would be hard to look at it would be worth it.

I removed a fish that was teatherd in such a way that the lead-core had cut through to the backbone in the wrist of the tail,yet the fish was still alive.

Just lifted this pic from another forum its a fish found teathered on a leadclip/leadcore rig. Luckily the fish survived but obviously suffered greatly as a result of what happened to it.

tetheredfishLarge.jpg

I did post on NM about that, although I didn't realise it was on Yateley.

You can't really see everything from the pic as it looks such a mess.

The Lead clip has pulled free from the swivel, but the lead has not released, and looking at that Rubber holding it in place it has only just been pushed halfway, so not held in "too" tightly, but still too tight to release.

Looking at all the gunk around the lead it could well have been in the water for a long time

Ahh didn't see this page, didn't realize it had already been asked. Still, seems like it has nothing to do with it. You seem very size orientated recently.
So,whats that got to do with you mr bunn,i like big fish i want to catch big fish,ive seen big uncaught fish in my water for the first time in 2.5 years,its got me going :wink:
Right'o
What is it with you bunn,digging in to every post i make :roll:

Lets talk via PM, this isn't the place!

Levi, I am currently awaiting a photo to be sent from a member of my local who recently pulled a tethered carp out trailing a length of leadcore tangled with weed etc. Hopefully will have it up soon

Nick, is that a piece of artificial corn in the tethered fish piccy?

Do artificial baits play some small part in this? Lost rigs with lead/leadcore or leader still attached, still effectively fishing with plastic baits on the hair, must contribute to some fish ending up like the one in your photo?

Just lifted this pic from another forum its a fish found teathered on a leadclip/leadcore rig. Luckily the fish survived but obviously suffered greatly as a result of what happened to it.

tetheredfishLarge.jpg

I did post on NM about that, although I didn't realise it was on Yateley.

You can't really see everything from the pic as it looks such a mess.

The Lead clip has pulled free from the swivel, but the lead has not released, and looking at that Rubber holding it in place it has only just been pushed halfway, so not held in "too" tightly, but still too tight to release.

Looking at all the gunk around the lead it could well have been in the water for a long time

THIS PIC MAKES DJ MAD :evil::evil::evil:

I REST MY CASE, TOO MANY MORONS FISH TO ALLOW THIS KIND OF RIG.

Do artificial baits play some small part in this? Lost rigs with lead/leadcore or leader still attached, still effectively fishing with plastic baits on the hair, must contribute to some fish ending up like the one in your photo?

Good lead clip set up! And nice fake corn, of which I have just put in the bin!!! :evil::evil::evil:

Good lead clip set up! And nice fake corn, of which I have just put in the bin!!! :evil::evil::evil:

To be honest, it's only after reading this thread that I've realised how many fish have needed to be rescued from snags. Even though I rarely loose gear, I don't use artificial baits anymore as lots of lost rigs/lead set ups must fish on, after being lost, for a long time.

hopefully this thread will end up saving a few fish, that pic is shocking but needed imho to get the point across. one of the waters i fish is thinking of banning artificial baits because of this type of thing. well done jez for putting this up :wink:

tetheredfishLarge.jpg

That is a very similar scenario to a fish that we rescued last Sunday, its shocking.

The thing is though, the fish we rescued wasn't tethered by a leader, it was mainline :? two identical lead clip set ups and rigs, line wrapped around the front few spines of the dorsal fin, (broken spins and flesh) and then the rig and mainline of the bloke that that had the pick up of this fish was intertwined in the mess as well. (The fish was tethered to an island) one rig in had caused some tissue damage on the flank, if it wasn't for the rush of me wanting to get the fish untangled and returned to the water i would have taken a pic of it, there was still an orange boilie (possibly a pop-up) on the one rig.

I dont know what to think of as a safe rig at all now :? just goes to show there isnt one 100% safe (obviously), and i dislike lead clips even more now.

All though, the lead clip doesnt seem to be the problem in this picture, it just added to teh problem when the setups tangled together :?

hopefully this thread will end up saving a few fish, that pic is shocking but needed imho to get the point across. one of the waters i fish is thinking of banning artificial baits because of this type of thing. well done jez for putting this up :wink:

To be honest I don't think that not using artificials has made any difference to what I've caught. Instead of the visual aspect gained with fake corn, I've used bait dips, soaks and bait sprays to enhance the baits attraction, if needed.

• 2 months later...

Lets just say that while I found Keith's part of the Leadcore debate gave credence to why Leadcore should not be used I think the reply was offensive and trying to evade the issue somewhat. The wording of the reply could have been a lot better.

Remind to get stabbed again, then I can spend even more time on the keyboard instead of actually fishing :evil::roll:

Oh and remind me, why did I bother actually taking the time to get into the water to prove or disprove that Leadcore can be a dangerous item of tackle and misuse does not always cause it to become a risk, it is a risk in its own right.

I'm sorry to trouble you again, but I actually found part of the Leadcore debate in July's ACF quite distressing in the reply from Dave Ellyatt.

Part of it his reply takes no consideration of the potential for any Leadcore rig with the Leadcore trailing as in a Running or Semi-Fixed lead to become a Death Rig in the event of a snap-off. The Leadcore (even if the Lead is ejected) will still be trailing. I understand that he could not read Keith Moors reply before printing and the catching up on snags that Keith did mention.

I also found his allusion to the thread on Carpforum quite annoying. "One keyboard anglerwho seemed so outraged that I'm actually surprised that he even went fishing" was actually very offensive and I feel aimed at myself.

The main point that I found offensive is that in January when I was so "hyped up" on the keyboard I was recovering from being stabbed at work (twice). I had been stabbed with a Drug Syringe by a Shoplifter and was having a series of Blood Tests and injections for Hepatitis B innoculation, and had also been slashed down the front of my chest with a Knife by another, so at the time fishing was actually out of the question. My usual fishing habits again as stated on forums is to fish around work, and avoid weekends as I don't like crowded waters.

In actual fact I experimented with Leadcore and the potential for it to become a Death rig the previous January during a week session on a runs water where I backed up Keith Moors findings that Leadcore can and will become snagged around even the smallest deadfall.

In fact on the 2 threads that were started on the forums (http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38886 and http://www.carpforum.co.uk/Shared/Messages.asp?TopicID=187059 ) I actually mentioned that I did used to use Leadcore until I found the potential for it to become a risk and a danger to fish. (That is also mentioned in the threads above )

I feel that Dave Ellyatt has tried to "blame" the forums for highlighting the risks without actually considering at the very least the set-up or the way it is used and also in trying to make me a scapegoat rather than concentrate on the issue of Leadcore safety or not, which we don't agree on or not. As I said those rigs that ESP are now manufacturing seem to be with minimal care that they could be a potential threat. In fact he also tries to get away from the Leadcore issue rather than concentrate on what is such a specific threat.

If you could use a simple tool for highlighting the risks of what you feel is a threat to safety of fish then I believe you would. I simply used the Internet and the forums since as a General Angler I do not have the face or availability of magazines such as yourself.

I'm sure that you will also be glad to know that once again I will be detailing this on the relevant threads on the forums, and also boycotting and avoiding ESP Tackle.

Yours Faithfully

Posted: 25th Jun 2009 11:33 Post subject: july ACF

I don't want to start the debate again. Just about the artical.

Well done keith for getting such a artical almost to the centre pages, your artical was very well put and done professionally, with many reasons for your part of the debate.

However on reading the other half of the debate i got the impression it was one big plug, not one reason for using it and only one usefull tip when using it. Even when you stated the rigs you found did as they were supposed to it was still blamed down to bad angling. Which i found quite obnoxious on his behalf.

Then he goes on to divert the issue by saying there are far more worry things to worry about KHV and flooding etc, which is a fair point but thats not part of this debate.

well done keith Moors

Posted: 25th Jun 2009 13:14 Post subject:

Now i am totally lost here. What content is in the article?

Considering i dont buy the monthly rags (not everyone does you know ) i havent got a clue what you are talking about.

Posted: 25th Jun 2009 15:05 Post subject:

It's about the dangers of leadcore/leaders