Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
krs1

holehird tarn

my most local tarn which was full of big carp perch roach chub and tench has been totaly wiped out by otters and has now been abandoned! :cry: they have drained it and removed the last of the fish! :evil:

2023.jpg

184784630_5ad98e617e.jpg

184784722_881628d480.jpg

2 of the waters I fish now have otter fencing around them! it was really intresting to see it pretty much empty though all the depths and features and stuff. wonder if there where many fish left in there :?

at least you can find out all the features of the lake incase they ever refill it. nice looking place too.
Make your own feature

they are going to re fill it they have just drained it to do some restoration work! what sort of feature would you make?

at least you can find out all the features of the lake incase they ever refill it. nice looking place too.
Make your own feature

they are going to re fill it they have just drained it to do some restoration work! what sort of feature would you make?

You could dig a shelf? Maybe take a bag of stone chippings and make your own gravel patch? Dig a deeper hole that only you know about? Just for starters :wink:

Make your own feature

You could dig a shelf? Maybe take a bag of stone chippings and make your own gravel patch? Dig a deeper hole that only you know about? Just for starters :wink:

its being taken over by cumbria county council :? yea nothing to loose! I think they will pretty much get everyfish out though myself so would have to stock it with loads of carp? do otters eat small fish like roach and perch?

IMG_2432.jpg

holehirdcarp.jpg

holehirdtench.jpg

holehirdbream.jpg

Ten carp were caught, some just away from double figures but we did capture one fish of 20lbs 4oz and others of 16lb, 15lb and 13lb. All were in excellent condition. All commons bar one , a 15lb mirror.

More bream than expected turned up - with a very high average size. Nine in total all in the 8lbs - 9lbs range and again all in good nick.

Holehird always had a reputation for good perch so we were surprised to find only a few tiddlers. No sign either of decent roach, only the odd little fish.

Although notoriously difficult to catch we had expected more tench. nevertheless the ten that we did find were of a decent size - the best going 6lbs and the rest all in the 3 - 4lb bracket.

Clearly the fishery has been absolutely hammered by predators of all descriptions - otters, mink, cormorants and goosander. Sad as it may be the results confirm our assesment that further investment in the water would be misplaced. At least we can take some consolation that Holehird's loss has been Castle Head's gain.

Holehird always had a reputation for good perch so we were surprised to find only a few tiddlers.

i think this has already been said but you wont get all the fish out of the lake when you net it. i think thia may be more common with perch as a lake near me is absoulutely stuffed with them, most of them big. when it was netted a couple of years ago they got hardly any perch, jsut to find them all swimming around in the very shallow water after they drained it a couple of days later!

i wonder if it is something to do with and perch and maybe they hide when they know they are being netted? anyone know why this might be as the lake owner is still puzzled, as most of them died :cry:

Perch are normally tucked up tight in reed beds or in and around weed, they fast lillte beggers aswell :lol: so i guess alot just get missed by staying out the way where the nets dont go :wink:

thats what we always thought was what had happened but one of the guys that helped out with the netting didnt seem to think that could have happened :? ! i think he didnt know what he was on about :lol: !