Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
krs1

holehird tarn

The amount of weed in the fishery made it difficult to net and in the end most of the fish were caught by electro fishing so surly this would have got the perch?

Funny you should say that, the EA electro fished a local canal about 18 months ago (about 4 weeks after i fished the same strecth) and removed a total of 17 Zander, now 4 weeks before between me and a freind we had caught 21 in a day session! Now you tell me where they had all gone? as im sure that 4 hadnt died in the 4 weeks and between me and the other lad we caught all the Zander in that section :?:?:?:wink:

The amount of weed in the fishery made it difficult to net and in the end most of the fish were caught by electro fishing so surly this would have got the perch?

i dont know how electro-fishing works, always wondered as i doubt it is what it sounds like- electrocuting the fish!

another thing is that you said it had a reputation for big perch, was there any proof or was it just a rumour which might explain why there were none in there?

nar there were defo some big perch in there! I havn't got a clue what the council will do with it guess they will proberly just open it up for walking? can't see them turning it back into a fishery :? stocking it with 500 4-6 inch carp might be an idea though :lol:

Thought i might add that we have also had many a good session since the electro netting was done, from the same stretch :wink:
Perhaps they got a good buzz and started feeding again

Lovely place to fish,I fished it a couple of times while on holiday in the Lakes. Unfortunately to keep a decent population of fish you have to protect it against predation i.e spend on netting and possibly get a volunteer to bailiff it and watch whats happening...I'm afraid its all down to money and how much effort the estate want to invest into it. Perhaps here is the dilemma..most fisheries offer match fishing as well as pleasure fishing ,without doubt anyone operating a pleasure fishing venue only would make very little money to put back into it. It really is a shame,its one of the nicest places I've ever sat at and watched the wildlife and catch the occasional fish,to be honest I didn't catch much but thats missing the point.