Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
simon_10001

CARP fishing in Sask

I'm already getting worked up about another year of carping! I just talked to someone at Sask. Environment and while they haven't set the date yet for the opening, it's nearly always the first monday in May and they expect the same for 2006 (the 8th this year). However, the adjacent portion of the river system I like to fish doesn't open until 2 weeks later (22nd). The main reason I prefer this area is there are always some folks harvesting carp for food at the main picnic site and I don't like having piles of scales, mono, bait containers and junk food wrappers laying around and there's always garbage there, even though it's the only place that actually has garbage cans provided. Makes me wonder just who raised some of these people.:x I've been talking to my partner about targeting pike and walleye in that early season since I didn't go for anything but carp in open water last year.

so the area in the river that you can fish how big is it?? and can you tell me the exact location of the section of the river you can fish for carp at?? that would really help =] sizes of the fish?? averagely?? and just any little bits of information just anythin =] thanks SiMoN

Google google.maps, then click on google local, then type in craven, saskatchewan. Click on hybrid and then hit the + sign a few times to zoom in. Scroll up and to the left (NW) along highway 20 a mile or 2 then zoom out a bit. On the left side of the highway is the Valeport marsh area. If you go the other way from Craven you'll find the dam only a quarter mile east. From that dam to the main lake north of the marsh is closed till the 22nd of May. There's the whole lake and the rest of the entire system to fish if you want to come before then though. Go a quarter mile south (or less) from Craven and there's the campground. Use the satellite thing to explore, there's 4 more lakes east of Regina and they all have carp in them. That picnic site (the carp-hungry ethnic faction notwithstanding) is good because there's a toilet there and you can have your vehicle nearby... I don't like hiking in 1/2 mile then worrying about my car windows. That affects my choice of swims a bit. 2 years ago there was a big rain that flooded the river at Valeport and we had to go to the dam E of Craven where it was calm enough to fish. I can't think of anything else that would preclude fishing there. When are you moving?

The average size varies, some days it will be all 8s and 10s, some days all you'll get are high doubles and low 20's,somedays it's better and there's lots of big ones, some days it's a mixed bag and some days we blank. Up north in the main lake I think the average size is bigger. They aren't getting as many 8 - 12 lb carp as we catch in the river. My best so far is 30 lbs 2 years ago, and though I had 5 or 6 within a sniff or right on last year I couldn't best it. It truly doesn't matter! I blew my best chance in the middle of the night when I was groggy and thought I was snagged... pulled out (just as it started to move) of something that felt like a railway tie!

This is where we fish at the picnic site at the rivermouth.

Vport.jpg

And this is my 30.

Buzzbomb.jpg

Saskatchewan Environment has finally come out with the book for this year. I'll try to post the hyperlink. The government here keeps on screwing non-residents for usurious license fees. $60 annual for Canadian residents, $80 for non-resident aliens. I think it should be $30 just like we pay as they aren't really promoting angling tourism by charging so much.

http://www.se.gov.sk.ca

Doesn't work, so just search for sask environment, go to the home page and scroll down to hunting and fishing and click on Angler's Guide. They've set the opening day at May 6 this year, with the river between Last Mtn Lake and the dam east of Craven opening on the 20th.

I edited the link to make this work.

I generally fish the Assiniboine river. The fishing is awesome and I have even caught a 9.2 lb walleye on a strawberry boilie here. Right now we are dealing with a huge flood and I have yet to find the big fish. I have been casting out groundbait at several of My last years locations even the ones far under water and although the bait has been well accepted which is a good sign a week before season opening Where are the big ones??? I caught quite a few 30's last year and ample 20's yet I had seen a few sunning themselves that haunt my sleep till this day. I can only guess 50+. Saskatchewan has low fishing pressure and even lower carp pressure aside from bowhunting and kids throwing rocks at them. Fishing carp here is a little less technical than a heavier fished UK. A couple maise right on the hook often provides hours of fun. I prefer simple boilie on a hair to try and thin out the small ones and have caught even on 24mm boilies and bigger. I am not sure about the flooding out Your way but I am concerned out here. Alot of carp will get landlocked again as the water quickly recedes. The fish out here aren't spooked easily, sadly many are snagged accidentally by walleye fishermen. I would have to say that carp here are the most hated fish, personally I have been able to convince a few "garbage fish" haters to join me and they are now pretty excited about carp season beginning, that's carp season not fishing season, funny how things change. People are always quite stunned by the gear and tackle I carry and use often the just shake their heads but I always bring an extra rod with me so I can tell them, don't knock it till you try it.

At any rate, there are huge carp in Saskatchewan waters and always lots of action. Stay simple it works well here. After a heavy day of rain I have caught alot of carp on pickerel rigs with the hooks covered with a third of a nightcrawler. They even beat the perch to the bait. Some of my most sucessful baits last year were, double bubble bubblegum.( it gets real hard on the hook so the fish cant eat it). Minimarshmallows pink seemed the most effective. Bread balls squished into cornmeal enough so that plenty falls off. even chunks of minnow at times. I tried alot of boilies and alot of them were overlooked for the simpler things in life at most times.

Good luck out there. I will be sitting on the cold shores counting the seconds down to the first cast next friday night and cant wait.....

well im looking forward to hitting the waters of canada as over here in england i fish really pressured waters which is some ways you have to fight for the fish and to some people it becomes less of an enjoyable hobby and into a more serious sport but i dnt mind as its what i do and after recently catching a 34lbs n a 27lbs 8oz in a short over night session the lakes record brace of fish i am more than happy with my fishing and my bait and rigs. so by the time i start fishing in canada i'll be more than up for it and i keep hearing of these seen big fish 40's\50's???? BUT none have been banked...well i was always told that big fish eat more making them easier to catch...so well i have a few tricks ready to see if these big fish are really present or whether they are just mythical sightings of hope we will soon see. any more info on the area would be great really appreciate it =] thanks.

Well just post or e-mail or pm saskcarp or me and tell us when you're coming and we'll try to set you up. If you can give a few day's notice so I can manage work I'll show you a few swims and help get you set up. Largest banked here by someone I know is the 40 my friend's wife caught 3 years ago but I'm sure there are much larger ones taken that I haven't heard of. Can you drive on the right side of the road? :D I bought my license a few days ago and started making bait so I guess I have the usual pre-season jitters.

I only started purposely fishing for carp late last season but I have seen some monsters. tonight I was out baiting a couple of swims as fishing season has just opened here 1 hour ago. Don't ask why I am still at home. I can't sleep though, it's like christmas eve for kids. Sad but true, I am making boilies, boiling maize and waiting for a couple of more hours. The flooding is bad but I found some pics from last years fishing when the water was down and found what should be a nice clear eddie. Bad part is that a fence goes across it now. We'll see how it goes. There are some great waters in Canada as carp here are considered garbage fish and bowhunting practice to most. In Saskatchewan it is the walleye who is protected and cherished. I am taking out two newbies today for their first carp adventure and a few more in the next few weeks. Problem around here seems mostly that carp seem impossible to catch and their playful frolicking drives fishermen nuts. How tame are the carp here? I accidentally hit one in the tail with a boilie tonight while prebaiting, it kept on eating, seriously. Not a bad looking fish but locked down in some serious lumber, I am hoping to coax him out of his sunken forest but we'll see how it goes.

. They've set the opening day at May 6 this year, with the river between Last Mtn Lake and the dam east of Craven opening on the 20th.

Wrong again! I found out yesterday that the info I got last year is wrong, and the section of the river holding my best swims is open after all. Somebody in Resource and Environment Management got a severe talking to, I believe.:D

There've been some nice fish coming out already although I only have one of about #18 so I want to get out asap, probably right after work! Every day I can.

so hows the fishing going?? if you guys dont mind it would be good if you could keep me updated on the fish catches just post like a catch report on here for me every now and again just so i can keep up to date and what parts of the rivers your fishing that would be good. Over here last weekend i had 18lbs common and a 24lbs mirror which was my best fight i've had in a longgg time i also lost around a 22/24lb mirror at the net which was a little annoying as that was a good fight 2 but i guess thats how it goes sometimes. The lake is being heavily fished here in england and ALOT of fish have been out in the past week probably over 30 fish i'm going to hit the lake again this weekend as the lake record fish still hasnt been out since october so it should be around 35/36lbs so thats still the target fish for the next few weeks before i move. Well i hope you guys are all catching hope to hear from you soon... ...

It's been a slow start for me this year... just the one carp and a whitefish on the first day, then 2 blanks then one whitefish yesterday. I've been to 3 different swims and done some baiting and even though it's slow for me I have high hopes. Saskcarp has done better with a couple of low to mid 20's and missed a few others, whereas I haven't been getting the bites at all. The fact that not much else is coming out at the same time is small comfort but I know it will pick up shortly. An overnighter may be in the cards tonight as it's supposed to warm up a bit and only go down to 6C.

I got into some fish last night at last with a 30, 2x16's and a 27 all in the first hour. Then got bit off by a pike then 1 more run that spit the hook and then they stopped biting. I had planned to stay out all night but changed my mind since I had to work today. There are mosquitoes and wood ticks out here right now that are the envy of malarial swamps the world over.

mid twenties are always helpful :D well im going to do a 7 to 10 day session starting from friday as the lake record fish STILL hasnt come out and should be on the bank anyday now the second biggest fish came out last week at 35lbs 2oz which is the new lake record and the other fish should be about a pound maybe 2 bigger than that so im going to give it the best i can n just go for it :D before i move and looking forward in getting stuck into some canadian river carp :D well i hope you guys are still catching nice big fish ...tight lines...

We went out yesterday and there were 25 Russians who drove in from Alberta fishing for the table and taking their long weekend. The lady at the gas station told my friend they'd bought every worm in town. We tried at the dam first and one of them came down from the opposite bank which is where the campground is and collected a carp he had tied on a rope and carried it back to the camp. A minute later we could see the smoke as they lit their fire. The fish weren't biting at the dam so we went up the valley a bit and there were 4 of them fishing there but the bite had slowed (we only got 1) and when they packed up one of them made 3 trips with a carp in each hand back to the van. It looked like 100 pounds at least. In all fairness they didn't leave any garbage, didn't clean their fish on the bank, and they probably enjoyed the heck out of them. And our fishery can sustain that sort of harvest easily. All the same I'm glad it isn't every weekend.

Since posting this I've learned that despite our 'voracious visitors' Saskcarp managed a new pb of 37 lbs yesterday afternoon from the same swim the Russians were in! Congrats Sask!

Fishing continues good with carp in the mid to high twenties being caught and the odd biggie.

Mick_Fisher and young Simon, your pal Eric is here and he's having the time of his life! He's had good luck (he said to tell you he hasn't found the 50 yet) but I think he's had a 38 and he looks like a million dollars. I'll be taking him some tackle tonight or tomorrow. He said you'd be coming out near the end of June, is that right?

Mick_fisher, Eric says he's doing well, though his chair collapsed and he's favouring the knee replacement he had a couple of months ago. He said to tell you he caught a 41 pounder and the girth was 38". For a man of his age he is really incredible! Things were a bit spotty yesterday... I blanked over 4 hours, the Pokeys caught a few and Saskcarp had one nice one after dark to save the evening. He put it in pics and stories on CAG.

41lbs now thats a fish!! were coming for some of them and bigger!! :) and by the way can you tell me the closest place along the river system where u can catch carp from closest to alberta?? because the carp must swim through a big part of that system right?? some nice fish coming out...liking it :)

Mick_fisher, Eric phoned half an hour ago, really excited so I could hardly understand him (phone transmissions from in the valley can be rough too) and if I understand correctly he's caught a 45 pounder. He said it was a beautiful fish and it's raining cats and dogs. Well done Eric! That's quite a feat for someone who's nearly 80.

so the weather is nice out here at the moment the carp must be on or fairly near the surface right?? hows the fishing going?? and have you ever caught a mirror or fully scaled mirror from the river system or are all of the fish completely commons??

The weather's fine, but the carp are spawning and tough to catch. I was having trouble even before they began spawning though, having blanked on my 5 last sessions (even though some of those were only a couple of hours). My friend is still winkling the odd one out but I guess he's trying harder. There's the odd mirror but I've never caught one, only this scatterscale thing with an anarchist belly pattern.

2scale.jpg

I'll try a bit more in the river even though the odds are poor just because I want to see some of the real biggies that don't show themselves otherwise and to hear the racket they make at night. Then I move further north and fish in the big part of the lake where they'll still be patrolling along the shoreline.

Just thought I would give everyone an update on Eric.

I visited Eric last week,he is back home after his stay in Regina hospital and Three Hills hospital.

He is doing well but still in a bit of pain,all he wanted to talk about was the fantastic time he had catching some very special fish and all the fish he saw.

He is just as determined to be back next year.

If there is a more dedicated carp angler I dont know of them!

He loves the sport and really cares for the fish,he was a bit upset that he saw one guy fishing for Walleye and catching carp and just throwing them up on the bank to die.

Of course Eric had words but he said the guy just said it was none of his business and that there was too many carp and they need to be culled down.

Eric did say he was a big [censored] so he left it at that.

I told Eric that anyone who thinks they are going to impact the population by killing a few carp must be a bit simple ,so not to worry but all Eric was concerned with was the welfare of the fish.

Anyway I am sure you will see him back next year 76 years young and enjoying every minute of his adventure.

Mick