Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
simon_10001

CARP fishing in Sask

I'm glad he's recovering.... 7 broken vertibrae and a broken shoulderblade at his age would keep most men from being so optimistic.

How long was the marathon session, 30 days rain or shine? The guy who was throwing the carp on the bank must of been at the picnic area because I had to bury one in the weeds there to keep the smell down so I could fish. Even though the carp aren't protected littering like that is illegal and it's just plain rude. I keep the SERM TIPS (turn in poachers) # on my phone for just those sort of occasions.

soo hows the fishing going?? its been a while so you guys must have been catching some crackers right?? and just to ask does Craven have a fishing tackle shop?? We are heading over to sask pretty soon and any final little tips and tricks and any last bits of information would all help :) o and also about night fishing worth a go??

I haven't been able to fish for a couple of weeks now but I talked to Greg at Pokey's Tackle last week and he said they were getting some good ones up on the west side of the lake. I believe they walk in a quarter mile to get to their spot. The river swims at Craven will be dead now so your best bet will probably be to fish up around Rowan's Ravine or some place where they have access to the deep water. I think they migrate up the lake to those deep spots so they can go deep during thunderstorms to get away from all the sturm und drang. I"m going on a trip for a week or so but should be back around the 18th - 19th so if you're here then (or a few days after when I have work sorted) I'll try to help you out. Otherwise go to Pokey's and ask for Greg; he'll tell you what's up. Unless I'm mistaken this thread started well over a year ago! The season is short here so it's important to take advantage of the carping while it's happening, which in the river is May and June and part of July. After that the main part of Last Mountain Lake or the 'fishing lakes', (Pasqua, Echo, Mission, Katepwa) are where you have to look. If you're willing to go further afield Lake of The Prairies and the Assiniboine River may still hold some good carping. Check with Oxquo to find out what's going on up there. Night fishing is always worth the effort although in the main lake wind and waves can play havoc with alarm sensitivity.

so fishing in the lake it is then. do you see the carp jump and roll often? and how far do you cast out into the lake or is it all close to the margins? so pokeys tackle is in craven?? we are only going to spend a day a night and another day fishing so it wont be that long but hopefully long enough to work some things out and map some things out ready for next year when we will fish it alot more so hopefully we will catch a couple if we are lucky looking forward to it though either way. again thanks for the info. :)

Pokey's is in Regina @ 1001 Osler St. (just off 4th Ave).306-359-1910

They don't have a website but if you have access to a fax machine their fax # is 757-6311. Occasionally you'll see them rolling out there... I think they patrol up and down the shore. Most places you have to cast 50-75 yds to get beyond the weedbeds. They'll tend to get nose down in those weeds to try to free themselves so you have to have adequate tackle. I guess they don't have the current to use against you like they do in the river so they try to weed themselves. All a fellow can do is bait and wait. The up-side is I think the average fish is a little bigger than in the river. In any case, if you show up we'll be able to show you the swims and get you set for next year. Take a look at http://www.gsmarina.com. This guy prebaits a few spots and takes anglers out carp fishing, so if you aren't sure what you want to do for accomodations and there's a few of you, getting one of the packages may be something to consider (at least for the first visit). Check the SERM website, http://www.se.gov.ca/fishwild/ to see what exorbitant fees the government wants for a few days of fishing. I apologize on behalf of the entire province for this, as it's no way to encourage tourism! If you can't get the link to work just google serm and click on fish, hunt.

Simon if you dont have much time I would suggest you head to Rowans Ravine and give it a bash off the rocks just over the car park near the marina.

Depending on the weather you should get into some fish over there as this is one of the swims Rob baits fairly regular.

Long lake is so big if you dont have time to pre bait you might struggle.

You will only have to cast out out 40 -50 yards there ,its all gravel but a bit of bait never goes amiss.

:D well that sounds good to me. we are pretty unprepared on the bait front right now but we will see what we can pull together in the next few days before we come over. are there any baits we cant use or does anything go?? but hey we will give it a shot we are used to fishing for highly pressured fish but then again we dont have any of our boilies with us so maybe gettin bait out might be a small problem for this trip. it would be nice to wink 1 or 2 out but be good just to get there have a look and get the feel for it over here. but again thanks for the information will help alot im sure :D

well its a nice place there in sask i was impressed. even though there were carp scales on the floor which is something i certainly havent ever seen. well im sure i'll get back there someday i'm looking into carp fishing in the spokane area right now as that is closer so if anyone knows anything let me know thanks SiMoN

R639243 That's the guy to talk to. I drove down to Spokane in August to fish with him and try to catch a mirror carp (rare in Last Mtn Lake). They quit biting when I got there but it was still a great trip. The whole place is like one big park... very scenic. There's a campground called 9 Mile Resort that's been taken over by the state; as that was happening just as I left I don't know if it's changed much, but it was nice then. You can call to book in advance. I wouldn't even mind going again in the spring or summer as I go to visit my mother in the Okanagan and then drive straight south. R6 is a very experienced fisherman (in all types of fishing) and was very helpful. The only thing I might do differently is try to go when the campground isn't really busy because I seemed to hit it on some kind of holiday and it was jammed up a bit. The first thing the guy running the campground showed me when I said I was there to fish for carp was a stack of photos of piles of dead carp shot with bow and arrow and spears and he asked if that was what I came for! The scales you saw in Saskatchewan aren't much compared to that. At Craven World campground they even built a steel topped filleting table for the visitors (there's some debate whether they are Russians, Romanians, Norwegians.... ) to clean their carp on. At least these guys don't litter (I have an idea who's leaving scales) and the fishery can easily sustain losing those carp. What makes me see red are the bozos who catch carp and throw them in the grass to rot, stinking up my swims.

yeah that place sounds good i'll check that out for sure. what about any other places heard of any?? Also i might be coming back to sask around late august/september time next year i'll try to be there for at least 2 weeks maybe more, that sounds good??

By late Aug - early Sept I'm struggling to catch but up in the big lake I suppose they're still biting. I was a bit surprised that you got one of little ones out at the picnic area as late as you did to tell the truth. May and June seem to be the best in the river so that's when I try to get out as much as I can. I'm going to get in touch with R6 and see when the campground at 9 Mile Falls opens up in the spring. I don't like to drive through the mountains on #3 until the threat of avalanches is over but since I will be going to the Okanagan anyway I want to try Spokane again.

so almost that time of year when the carp rods get bends back in them hey...we are looking at fishing Okanagan but info on it seems to be not a lot so hmmm i dont know. i would like to go back to the river in sask that my kind of fishing in the sun and everything but again just having the time to get over there. we will see...but what about you guys??

I'm looking at driving out to the Okanagan for the last week in April. I haven't checked on the fishing season there yet but there are a few places I know where to fish. R6 says it'll be too early probably for carping in Washington (at least at 9 Mile) so if it's workable I'll probably do a little trout fishing at Yellow Lake and up in the hills at Sawmill. There's supposed to be oxbows in the river south of Oliver with carp in them so I want to look for those. They do catch carp in Tuc-l-Nuit Lake right in Oliver but what they do is every year they have a tournament and try to kill off as many as they can. When the local fishing guru in the hardware store told me about this he could tell I was disgusted and he got a bit apologetic about it. I asked why they did that and he said to stop depredation of the other fish, then he sort of looked down and said he thought the bass were just as bad though. They've got smallmouth bass and trout in Tuc-l-nuit as well as carp. Each zone in B.C. has it's own set of dates and regulations so I have to be quite careful there.... each lake could have it's own rules. It'll be good to go fishing again. I haven't even checked on the season opener here but it's usually first week in May.

They're there but it's not gangbusters.... opening day I had 4 out from 6 and change to 16-8 or so and saskcarp had an 18 at 2 in the morning (crazy man!) and I went again yesterday and just got 1 little one but one of the guys with us had a 20-4. That's all at the picnic area, but I threw the rest of my groundbait in at the dam on the way home so I want to try there today. I tried to phone Cravenworld yesterday to see if Eric had reserved but got a recording. I'm thinking it might be fun if a few of us rented a spot out there while he's around and tried to put a little platform in the river to fish from right there. It's too steep to do it safely otherwise I think. (edited May 09) And yesterday had one at 24 lb 8 0z, so I'm going back for more!

ok guys so seems like next weekend we will be back over for a couple of days. as we will only be there for a short time again any bits of info would be great once more, whats working and whats not etc.

thanks SiMoN

I think anything will work right now..... we're getting some on straight corn and peas or beans so boilies should work. I have to cook for an art opening on Sunday but I should be around the river somewhere on Saturday. Eric had trouble with his boat trailer so he was going to fix it and come out today (15th). He told the people at the campground he intended to leave at 5 am!

Eric's absolutely amazing! He's looking very fit and has already had a few carp to 17lb 8 oz. He'll be here till the end of the month now since he has to go on safari later.

well the sad thing is that, we never made it over this weekend. we had planned to do it but then a few things came up and we decided against it at the last minute, which sucks. although i have found out some information on carp in montana, really looking into that right now.

There's some lovely places in Montana, but it looked to me last summer that most of them were in the south-western part of the state, so I scrapped my plan for a quick trip. Eric will be leaving for home in a couple of days, and this year he has a 48 under his belt. He said he'll e-mail the pics when he gets back. I've blanked the last 5 or 6 times I've gone fishing, but hope to end that soon.

A 48!! thats impressive for sure. suddenly feels really bad that we didnt get out the other week...hmm...but hey good to know they are in there right. i havent been proper carp fishing in so long now starting to get to me...but next year i'm going to set out and get some money together and have a travel around carp fishing, afterall in these big lakes there must be some amazing fish out there, that have never been caught, and i want those ones!! in england the lake i used to fish, i managed to catch 2 of the top 4 fish in the lake before i moved out here and that was a really pressured carp lake, so i was happy with that. we are going to make a few trips down to montana just to look really so that will be good. i might take a trip back to england to visit, go fishing buy some supplies from the place i used to work at. because i used to work on a 2 lake campsite complex which was awesome working with the whole carp fishing thing loved every minute of it. anyways hope you get back into the carp soon hey im sure,

SiMoN

I'd really reccommend the loop I did traversing Montana (maybe not practical for you) then crossing the Idaho panhandle and going back up to Canada via Spokane. It's really amazing scenery through southern Wa. and Montana. I wish I'd had lots more time so I could of stopped in a few places. At 75 mph you can only appreciate so much and sight seeing isn't very safe..

Hi there. Lots of carp here, in the Rockies...

Two weeks from now i'll be in the Landing Provincial Park, on Diefenbaker, looking for carp. I have no clue where to go, any opininon would be great.

If i'll find it, i'll let you know. In the meantime i read your forum page after page, dreaming of my fishing, back in Europe. My record is a 15 kg in Danube river.

By the way, thank you for your forum, impressive information.

(I hate you...the only carp we have here in the mountains is the rainbow one...)

Another 3 weeks..... and there's still some melting to be done. Also, the beavers have been after the shade trees closest to the picnic table at Valeport!

dam.JPG

widespot.JPG

picnic.JPG