Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Courtz's Carpy Captures 2009

Recommended Posts

Watch this space :lol:


I'm out for 3 nights as of saturday, then fishing pretty regular through april due to uni eater break, and there's a few fish coming out.


Had a text ten minutes ago from a mate who's just had the big common, Result!!


Looks like the weather has brought them on a bit.


We'll see!



Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol: cheers lads, fishing from late friday until tuesday evening :D hopefully get chance to crack open the cava if i bag one, or even the champs if one of my target fish come my way :lol::lol::lol::D


Off over there on my bike in a minute 8) get some more bait trickling in :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Were you drinking champagne at 3am then? :wink:


Waited until the evening after :lol: made do with a bulmers at 3am and then endless tea as i couldn't get over the buzz :D


Oh yes i had one of my three main target fish!!!!


18 months since setting out to catch it :lol::D


Now to find the camera cable :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday evening at work couldn’t pass by any quicker; yet with any event of such nature it was assured to drag on, and on, and on again. My mind was elsewhere, which became all too apparent when I lost track of time and the finish was in sight. 9pm had me grabbing a quick bundle of food for the night ahead, before hastily fetching my jacket and making my way home. The work’s uniform was replaced with a carpy green strip, and my tackle stash transferred from garage to car. Leaving just a drive of 8 miles to be within reach of the start line, which was signalled by the clash of the chain as it struck the iron gates of the lake’s entrance. This was it; game on!


Grabbing a headtorch I set off on a lap of the lake, it was looking quiet with only one other angler named Chris in the top bay. I cracked open a can of bulmers and chatted for the best part of thirty minutes whilst looking across for any signs of fish. In which time the wind had picked up into a southerly which was pushing the length of the lake, making it hard to spot any surface disturbances. The only occurrence being the biggest shooting star I’ve ever seen, that would do for me; place a wish! I made my way back round to my gear and started moving into a swim known as the winter bank, right on the end of the wind; in an area of the lake I had been prebaiting for the week previous. The rods were already rigged up with 2oz leads and helicopter rigs, ready to attach a hooklink and place on the spots. Both were baited with a Vision Baits ocean protein 12 miller, along with a small sized bag of chops and pellets. The left was lowered onto a hard margin spot to the far left of the swim no more than 3ft from the bank, and the other was underarm flicked 15 yards out onto a firm area of clay. I’d baited up that morning so didn’t bother with any additional bait around the rigs, after setting up the shelter I indulged in a quick meal and nodded off close to midnight. Still not confident in noticing any fish activity, but in the inky darkness it was hardly surprising.



The margin rod which went on to produce a take!


Awoken by the dawn chorus the lake appeared a lot stiller, with a gently breeze now pushing in the opposite direction, it appeared a lot chillier since the wind had swung round. The area I occupied still looked good with a large calm area of water extending about 40 yards from my own bank. I sat up and se the tea kit on its preliminary as the light gradually broadened. It was after about an hour later that a fish finally broke the surface, towards the middle of the lake in no mans land, followed shortly after by a further two shows gradually closer to my own bank, and as soon as it happened the activity ceased. I lay on top of my bed chair still watching, but by the time 9am passed I’d got itchy feet and decided to reel in for a look around. Despite creeping up on every snag and carpy spot, the only creature I disturbed was a brace of spawning pike and energetic coot. Besides, nothing had persuaded me to move swims so in the end I nipped to the shop and filled up on supplies, along with a cheap (very, lol) bottle of bubbly; just in case I did have my first of the year from the lake! For the next couple of hours I idled around, hoping to notice something carpy, but it wasn’t until about 1pm when a couple of fish cruised lazily under the surface along the snaggy margin to the right. Even this was short lived as a shower of hail peppered the lakes surface returning it to square one…


I was confident in the spots I was fishing, so rebaited the short soft coated braid hooklinks, and sent them out to the clips. A few handfuls of ocean proteins were dispatched over the spots, along with a mix of betaine pellets, halved baits and hemp via a small spod. With the traps set I slackened off the mainline before clipping on the tiny ptfe bobbins, and sat back talking to a friend who lives local and had popped down. I was on my toes an hour later as the right hand bobbin pulled up tight and out of the clip, lifting into the fish I felt a couple of dull shakes before the rod sprang back, no doubt a bream I thought whilst checking the hook point.


Trying to get to the bottom of losing one, with the snaggier right hand margin in the background


It was confirmed when the same rod darted off shortly afterwards with a nice sized snotty in tow, I must have had a further two before the rod went off slightly more erratically. To my surprise a strange looking inbred lay dwarfed in the bottom of the net, a comic looking crucian cross goldfish which I decided to photograph.



Rebaiting the open water rod with just whole boilies slowed down the nuisance fish, until eventually a good carp topped over the spot as dusk grew in. The same fish came out several times along with a lot more activity around my end of the lake. It was obvious the fish gave away their presence within darkness, with a fish coming out every five minutes or so as the last of the light faded away. I sat awake in anticipation until 1am, with the fish still consistently showing in the calmer water in front of me. A couple even turned over on the margin spot down to my left, and I was expecting a take at any moment but finally hit the sack at 1am. The next thing I remember was waking to a single beep on the attx, glancing over it was the left hand rod, followed by a short bust of bleeps as I noticed the white light on the alarm illuminating the bobbin which was tight against the blank. Sliding out of the bag I put on my trainers and walked over to the rod fully expecting a bream or ditched take as no more indication had occurred.


I tightened the spool and lifted up the rod to be met by a solid resistance on the other end, not even a knock on the line. It became apparent the line was caught down below, so after submerging the rod and changing the line angle the mainline pinged free from the offending branch; and I drew a dead weight slowly to the surface in full beam of the headtorch. I was about to lean over expecting to unhook a bream when the surface erupted and the rod looped into a healthy curve, leaving me to backwind furiously as the fish made tracks along the margin to the right. Passing the rod under the other line I kept the tip under the surface, in an attempt to prevent the fish from reaching the upper water snags tight to the bank. It continued taking line before kiting into open water without me managing to gain so much as an inch. I managed to draw the fish closer on a couple of occasions, but it tore off before reaching anywhere within netting distance on further 40 yard runs. After a further five minutes the fish eventually hit the surface three feet in front of the net cord, before boring back below the surface. I kept the pressure on and it re-surfaced a foot from the bank, with the lead clipping the arm of the net. Taken by surprise I submerged the net and pushed it under the wallowing silhouette sideways, as the dark figure hit the spreader it lifted the fold around it. It was only when I had to manoeuvre the net around to engulf the massive length of the fish that I realised what I’d caught. Close to 3ft in length lean is an understatement! Flicking on the light the plated scales illuminated back at me and I let out a scream across the lake.’’ Fuuuuuulllllly Scaaaaaalllled!!!’’ With is lying in the margin the first thing I did was ring Chris, burbling out words whilst trying to string a sentence together.


"I’ve got it mate, GOT IT!!!!!"

"Got what?"

"The FULLY!"

"ah, nice one, enjoy it!"


On the mat it was immense! Reaching into the folds of the net I removed the size 8 esp curve shank from the centre of the lip, NAILED!!!!! On the scales it registered around 20lb 11oz, which was a little down in weight, but who was I to care. I secured the fish in the net within the deep margin, and after setting up the camera and tripod walked around to the only other member who was fishing further up the lake. It took a bit of effort to finally wake him but after shaking off the drowsiness we both walked back to get the photos done. What a fish, and a really quite awkward one to hold! After a few snaps it powered away after being held in the margin.



18 months after setting out for it!




The adrenalin shot through me and I couldn’t sleep. I sat around for an hour drinking tea whilst tying up a new rig and repositioning the rod, in which time it began to snow lightly, and a small sheet of ice formed over the wet mat! With the rod back in position I scattered a few more ocean protein chops and pellets around the rig, before sitting back down trying to let it all sink in. Whilst sitting there fish were still showing all around my end of the lake, the chance of another could be on the cards! Having caught the fish at 3am it was light when I finally drifted off to sleep, although not for long… only to be awoken by another bream around 8am on the open water rod.



The winning combination


The day turned out to be warm with a few fish cruising around just under the surface, I wound in and tied up two zigs before sending them out into the open water set just under the surface in 18ft of water. They remained untouched for most of the day until the evening, when I managed a take, but failed to connect with it! I decided that was the time to get the bottom baits back out before sitting back to make a pasta meal, and crack open the celebratory bottle joined with a couple of mates.



Getting ziggy with it!



Celebration, Student Styled!


A lot less fish were making themselves known that evening, and most of the shows were at the far end of the lake over a large bar. I carried on watching until past midnight with little signs, and after knocking up a few slices of fried bred I called in for the night. Nothing occurred through the darkness so on waking up the next morning I decided a move was in order, and proceeded to lug the gear round to a swim where it’s easy to hit the bar, which rises up 6ft from the lake bed behind. After popping up the float a rig was dispatched either side of the marker, followed by about 100 twelve millers.




Another bream slipped up that afternoon, yet no more carp were forthcoming, and it remained that way through until the following morning when I was woken by bright sunlight. Having passed the ‘bite time’ I decided to pack away my gear and stash all but the essentials in the car park. Rigging up a pair of rods with ziggies I went on the move again and dropped in on the point swim, dispatching the zigs at various ranges. The next couple of hours were spent lounging in the sun with shorts and a tee, until the clouds rolled over and the fish sank back towards the depths, leaving a couple of isolated fish happily cruising past the baits without even flinching. I wasn’t one to complain though, still in ecstasy over banking a target.


The last hour was spent with a marker rod mapping out a swim I fancy the look of, due to it being a lot less popular this season. I’ve managed to find a couple of tasty looking spots, one being a really firm sloping marginal shelf I’ve only just mapped out. So now it’s off to prime them with a bucket of bait before Saturday session; bring on the big leather or long common!!!


Until next time,


Tight lines



Link to post
Share on other sites



A superb read and result, I remember many moons ago of also having a Fully scaled 21lb der, with a full linear on one flank, I can remember her as if it was yesterday! 24 years on! Keep up the great work and the dream :wink:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...