Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
courtz

Courtz's Carpy Captures 2009

nice one on the catch courtz looks a nice fish that you had time to set out your next one to go for where abouts was it that you was fishing if you dont mind me asking looks a nice place

Well just come back for a shower and haircut :lol: still mid-session with a few nights ahead...

I've managed 6 takes since saturday night :shock::lol::lol::lol: Landing all of them.

Here's a couple of upper doubles from saturday night, Caught within an hour of each other.

CIMG4566.jpg

CIMG4567.jpg

CIMG4587.jpg

CIMG4585.jpg

The rest have been smaller, with 3 off the top/zigs.

See you later in the week.

I may check in via iphone soon.

Courtney

Courtz and the promising left hand rod :lol:

Yep i sure promised you that was a go'er, pukka little spot! I'll stick the pics on the account for you when i get round to it.

Here's a couple more kippers :D:D:D

longleather.jpg

common-5.jpg

lean.jpg

Was sure i could of had another one early friday, had the fish troughing on the spot when i was resting it thursday evening, then when i lifted it out to pack up the hooklin was well and truly tangled, i was sure it went down properly aswell :cry:

Oh well, 11 fish with 5 over 17lbs isn't a bad result!

Here's the fish i've had over the last 2 days, you may want to get the Kleenex ready!! :D:D:D:lol:

To start with i was a little daunted by the marginal lilly pad growth, which was more every day and almost touching the surface. Yet the fish were obviously rooting around them and became attracted like magnets; but i wasn't sure how to get rigs presented effectively. After a bit of thought and a few attempts later i got around the problem by using 2ft long 10lb maxima hooklengths with a longish hair, then critically balancing the bait with cork so it sat about an inch off deck, just under the weight of the mono. Did the trick as i nailed my first fish within 40 minutes of flicking one out :D

Sweetcorn stalked sixteen pound stunner!!!

linear2.jpg

Eighteen pound dumpy linear

linear.jpg

Another mid double

scaley-1.jpg

If carlsberg made stockies.........

stockie-1.jpg

Well happy!!!

Tight lines

Courtney

Wednesday at worked passed without issue, although the anticipation had been building throughout the evening. The end was here and I made my way home in an eager mood, ready to wet a line at my club water after a painstaking break. The couple of days prior to my start had been quiet, with usually just a friend of mine at the lake on short evening sessions. This allowed me to pile in an amount of bait along a few quiet marginal spots where I had found prior success, with the knowledge that they’d go undisturbed until my visit; well apart from the arrival of some hungry mouths with any luck!

I closed the gates behind me just as the sun set below the horizon and went about unpacking the gear, with a midweek session it was no surprise I was the only one settling down for the night. Two trimmed hookbaits were attached to the rigs, with the left hand rod placed under an overhanging margin to the left of the swim, and the other rod placed along the bank to the right, amongst a bed of lilies. A handful of chops was dispatched onto both the spots, before I set about getting the bivvy sorted in the dimming light. I stayed awake until midnight listening to the odd fish lump out, until I finally drifted asleep. The next thing I know it was 2am and I’d just woken to a single beep, I checked the receiver before peering over to the illuminated LED on the left hand rod. A succession of bleeps burst from the receiver as the bobbin hit the blank, before dropping back to the slack state it had been set. I cursed as my initial thoughts jumped to the nuisance of a bream I imagined hanging itself on the size 8 curve shank. With my eyes fixed on the bobbin it was another minute before it again rose to the blank, only this time the line pinged out the clip and the spool fizzed away as a bow wave headed into open water. I jumped down to the lower tier of the swim and connected to the fish as it made off for open water, the fight was quite erratic leaving me sure of a small fish being the culprit, and a minute or two later I had a pretty mirror of about 16lbs in the net.

mirror-1.jpg

With photos done and a new hooklink attached I flicked the rig back out, only for it to catch into once of the many sprawling branches which hung across the waters surface. It eventually came free after the hook straightened, so with another rig tied I took extra care to get this one spot on, and I hit the sack. I think with the next take which occurred, it was actually the clutch that woke me drowning out the sound of the alarm, such was the ferocity of the initial run. Once again I leapt from the bivvy out into the dawn light and made contact with the fish, which did very little to stop it striping another 40 yards of line. On a long line somewhere in open water it kited whilst holding its ground, until it neared the margin some 5 minutes later and continued to pace up and down the bank. With the rod hoped over the fish was wallowing a couple of rod lengths out, turning over water in a way which you know it’s a good un… It gradually drew closer to the bank but the fight reached a stalemate as it lay on the surface at the edges of the marginal pads. In the rising light it looked like a good fish, so lowered to pressure a little and waded a few feet out so the net scooped up my prize along with a few uprooted pads. In the net it looked a lot like the lean fully due to the scaling pattern, one I’d caught earlier in the year. Only once on the mat did I notice it wasn’t, due to the width of this fish and seeing as it didn’t have the ‘peanut head’ appearance of the aforementioned. Only then it clicked as being a fish I was shown a photo of two seasons ago, a smaller fully scaled which had evaded capture for over 2 years, and gained a pound or so in weight turning the scales to 20lb 7oz. I secured it in the net for 20 minutes until the light levels were right for a photo, to portray the chestnut colouration of this fish.

littlefully1.jpg

Not bad photos for self takes hey! And with the fish returned I was on a high, and set about redoing the rod before knocking up a bit of breakfast. Nothing else occurred until close to 10am when I brought the rods in and set off on a lap on the lake. Reaching the bay I found a group of fish patrolling amongst the marginal pads, and set about wasting the next hour trying to get one to pick up a hookbait, presented on the deck in a small clear patch. After admitting defeat I found another group of good fish in the swim at the mouth of the bay, again drifting in and out of the pads and reed beds. I decided on a lighter approach and rigged up an 8lb hooklink with a trimmed tiger knotless knotted to the size 11 drennan barbell hook. Looking through my polaroids I noticed a decent common patrolling about 20ft out on the edge of the pads. So in it’s absence I flicked the bait past the pads and brought it back to rest, sitting a couple of inches below the surface with the line trailing over the top of the pads. For the next 10 minutes it patrolled on the same route showing total ignorance towards the hookbait, but just then it got interest. Sitting a foot away it lay fixed in position with it’s fins twitching, and after what seemed like an eternity it edged forwards and closed its lips around the bait whilst carrying forwards causing the line to skip along the pads. I swept the rod back causing the fish to headshake violently before lunging out into open water as all the other fish bow waved out from the pads, with the 8ft in full compression but having no influence on the fish. After two minutes it was back amongst the pads, and luckily the leader held firm as the braided mainline cut through the lillie steps like a catana. Continuing its battle on the edge of the pads it eventually began to wallow as I waded up to my waist and pushed the net under another lump, and what a stunner it was!! I weighed it in at 21lb 6oz, the long common and another target, before rattling of a few more cracking self takes.

common1.jpg

Now I would continue the rest of the session in the same detail as above, but with work in 20 minutes it’d be cutting tight, and beside I need to get some more bait from the freezer, ready for my next session; after work at 9pm tonight.

So, with the rods reset yesterday evening after stuffing up another stalking opportunity, the rod I had re-positioned onto a small gravel bar rattled off at 4am this morning, with another mid double mirror gracing the net.

mirror2.jpg

Tight lines

Courtney

Packing away the gear on Friday I had solid knowledge that the lake was fishing well, it'd be hard not to realise after the result I’d just had! I wanted more of the action yet had a shift at work that evening and had a few things to sort out at home. I figured if i left my gear at a mate's house close by I’d be able to bike back home, go to work and return to the lake late that evening. I was determined and nothing could stop me now!

After getting showered and dressed in my room I was about ready to go work when I noticed a group of three lads looking a bit culprit walking down my street, turns out they're probably over egoed prats having just finished their GCSE's and were walking along the road with a box of eggs, daring each other to throw one at various houses. I was just packing away a set of dumbbells and weights when an egg cracked on the window, so with an inch thick steel dumbbell bar tucked up my sleeve I set off out the front door in a mild sprint. They must have clocked my reasoning and gave it legs splitting up at the end of the road, I followed the one with the box of eggs; over the bi-pass, jumped over a gate and into a small field which he couldn't get through the hedge on the other side. Instead he stood there panicking close to bursting into tears, whilst trying to find a reasoning. After a few choice words and sending the remaining eggs in his direction I went back and filled a little rucksack with bait, hi-vis and a bottle of water for the bike back to the lake later on.

That was enough excitement for the day, something which can't be said for work. So come 9pm I was fixed up with red bull, and set off on the 8 mile bike ride to the lake, fuelled on caffeine, glucose and thoughts of scaley kippers! I'd made it there in about 25 minutes, with my shirt stuck to my back in sweat from the muggy dusk period; and had two rods dropped into position before ten o’clock. Again one on the productive overhanging margin, and the other on a gravel ledge a few rod lengths out. The shelter was set and I tried hitting the sack early, but my body was still pumping with carbs, and I lay awake for the next half hour. It was then whilst I showed no signs of tiredness that the attx burst into a single tone, and peering to the margin rod the spool was illuminated by the white LED as line fizzed away yard after yard. After connecting with the fish it did nothing more than a few paces along the margin and was persuaded into the net first time, peering down through the mesh I saw a fat grey figure with a distinctive marking of three scale. Trio bless it, the little mug always finds it hard to resist a pile of boilies. It gave a better account of itself on the unhooking mat, whilst I managed to rattle off a few shots. Usually the little fella pushed low 20s, but having just spawned 19lbs was a more realistic figure, not that it mattered to me as I’ve made his acquaintance on more than one occasion!

trio-1.jpg

With the rod redone I tried to get to sleep, but didn’t drift off until gone 2am! After reading almost the whole issue of redline I’d bought that evening. The next thing I know it’s light and I’m listening to the sound of a clutch drowning out the receiver’s shriek. It’s all like clockwork now as I connect with the fish which gives a much better account of itself. Stripping yards of line on powerful runs it takes at least five minutes to get under control, and a further couple before it wallows into the confines of the net. I realised just what it was just as it slipped over the net cord. The bigger of the two fully’s, having landed the smaller of the them just 48 hours ago. This was a fish I was lucky enough to first catch in march, after wanting it in my photo album for 18 months, so to catch it again three months later was a bit unrealistic, but didn’t stop me taking a couple of pics in the dawn light.

fully2-1.jpg

After re-positioning the rod I had a few lazy hours kicking out z’s; I needed it! As the day progressed I began packing away the gear leaving only the rods and net, but nothing was forthcoming. Not that I’m one to complain so wound in and left the lake leaving only a kilo of bait spread between the two spots, ready for another session in the near future.

Slack lines and tight clutches

Courtney

Nice one Courtney, well in fella. very pretty looking fish they are. been a good weeks fishing for you judgeing by the pics.

Yeah it's your fault :lol: . Getting that moon phase prime time voodoo into my head made me get an overnighter for starters just incase i was missing anything :D

Nice one mate, some stunning fish once again.

Cracking photo's aswell seeming they are self takes :D

Yep cheers, all self takes, managed to mess up on the pics of the lean fully though, and got it out of focus a little, but tweaked it with photo software which made it better. Think i'm going to save a manual focus into the camera from now on and make sure the tripod's always set the same distance from the mat. God i got into too much detail :lol:

You know that Courtz :wink: i did say it was going to happen and we both had runs that night..... just im a mug and your not :lol::lol: Anyway on the moon phase and timing for big fish, 8 days time is the prime time for a big common. On the syndicate the big girl has not been landed yet and should be 38-41lb, if she is comming out then thats the time, well that is if she hasnt been lost in the meantime......

Sunday/monday

Check out these shorts!!!!

lin-2.jpg

Next gen camo!!!!!18lbn lin.

Also had a 21lb 3oz common, but was in the process of puking up with hot and cold flushes due to a rather painfull episode of food poisoning, so took this pic and slipped it back...

football-1.jpg

Got to the lake saturday evening, rods out fine and set the gear up. Cook up a nice chicken curry and and wash it down with a couple of bottles of pear cider. Start getting hot and cold flushes through the night, headache and a temperature, end up lying ontop of my bedchair in just boxers sweating with severe cramps until dawn trying to cool down. Go and do some photos for my brother of a decent common and come back so decide to eat a sandwich and go back sleep. Only to wake up 20 minutes later being violently sick into the margins. Fall back to sleep in agony and wake up early morning. Wake up hot and dehydrated so have a drink of water, which i then puke back up despite trying over and over to have a drink. Get a mate to buy me some lucazade and bring it down the lake. Yet again still can't keep any drink down, eventually manage to drink a swig at a time.

Then fall to sleep still with hot and cold flushes to be woken by a take in the torrential rain whilst in just a pair of flowery shorts, get soaked through and start feeling cold. Land a fat 21lb common, unhook it and take a photo on the mat and stick it back as i'm more concerned about getting back into my sleeping bag. So get changed and curl back up feeling crap not even bothering to redo the rod. Still feeling no better with very little energy as dusk arrives, i can't even be bothered to redo and check the one rod which is already in the water and go to sleep feeling very cold with the worst headache ever and rain still pouring down. 1am and the bobbin pulls tight on the remaining rod, great a bream i think!! So get up just as line begins to tick from the spool. Having realised i've fallen asleep on my arm i have to spend the next 20 seconds trying to regain feeling in it before i manage to pick the rod off the buzz bars and play a dead weight to the banks, which only waked up towards the marginal pad. An 18lb zip linear is the result. Still with a banging headache i drop the rod along with the other against a bush and go back to sleep, undisturbed by any other fish until 9am, when i wake to to sun so dry out my bivvy and unhookinh gear then set back home asap.

Not a bad result for not even trying hey!!! Both takes i was reluctant to get out of my sleeping bag