After reading so many posts and threads recently of the type of: How big do they go, how many Carp, what's the best boilie, what bait and rigs are best, do they take pop up's, can you catch them on the top, and how do I hook mixers, hook sizes and hook length materials, braid or mono, where should I cast to and how deep is it, clear or weed, what's a bar or plateau, fixed or running and so on.

How do you think we did it in the past? Maybe one or two bi-monthly mag's, No DVD's and No Forums???

I think it was a progression from general float bashing to swing tips and quiver tipping, using a plummet and find what's in your swim, even down to feeding a swim and bringing it on, and thinking how to get more fish on the bank, as this is the essence of Angling and carp Angling, no thought, no or not consistent Carp on the bank, That’s chuck and chance not Angling.

I think a lot of the time today, the Mystery has gone, as people demand instant results and success ( to go with the Carp set up ) The Mystery of the unknown holds a special magic to me :idea:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more answers you find the more questions they raise. :)

I think anyone who is interested, and does some basic research can learn a lot about carp thanks to all those who have cleared the path before us. However that does not mean that all is known, or that the mystery is gone.

Also things tend to be cyclical in nature, by the time the current bait or technique is dead and gone someone will dig up something that got used in the past and it will explode back onto the scene.

As long as we have fish, we will be struggling to get into their heads, or trying to figure out what makes them tick. What makes them pick up this bait but not that one.

I had a dream once where my Grandfather (long since passed beyond) was sitting on a hill, crafting "baits" out of err, well holograms sort of. Light, bent and managed to produce color and shape. No hook, but it "popped" if a fish took it. Letting both the fish and the fisherman know who won that round.

For now there is still much for me to learn, many many days of contemplation and discovery lie ahead as I sit next to the water and plot, plan how to catch those big wily fish. :)

Guest andypalf

I see what you're getting at there Kev. Most waters we fish these days have a known stock. We often know what we're likely to catch. I know of a few waters where you can even buy a contour map of the lakebed.

Time to get back to the rivers I reckon. Although, those lakes you fish Kev look like they could throw up a suprise or two!

Hi, I have said this before a lot of anglers want instant results and all there gear and rigs on a plate, they do not want to do any of the work themselves.

They them simply turn up at various locations and do great automaton impersonations.

Last Monday I received an email out of the blue inviting me to join a syndicate, one I did not know existed:?

Two of the lakes on this syndicate are syndicated separately if that makes sense.

What I did not know is that these two [that I am a member of] with another few waters are on one syndicate to certain members who are deemed suitable.

This would give me a 60 acre pit with well known inhabitants, a 100 acre pit with some known fish, it has produced 300 captures this year, but 2 carp I saw put in there with my own eyes were not caught nor were another twenty or so stocked over the past ten years.

I would also get two pits stocked in the late 60s early 70s and not legally fished since, plus others.

I got the chequebook out :wink: my type of fishing, big waters, big fish in all probability, but most importantly; the need to use grey matter to catch.

I might get instant results, I probably will not, but when I do it will be worth it and there will most likely be no one anywhere to be seen.

Frank

My syndicate is 22 acre's with about 350 fish in it, and after 12 year's of fishing it i did kind of feel a bit robotic.

A couple of years ago, i made a conscious effort to develop new spots, techniques etc in an attempt to re-invigourate myself and my fishing. I've really enjoyed myself again, catching fish on the float, stalking instead of sitting behind my rods, i even caught a couple on free-lined paste (flour, custard powder and water). The excitement of watching a thirty pick up the paste in only a couple of feet of water and then the explosion as i hit it reminded me of my childhood and why i was hooked by fishing in the first place.

If i'd have embarked on my fishing adventures as a child, reading magazines, fishing over stocked pools and just not developing my own idea's, i think i'd have been playing bowls by now with a pimms and lemonade on the side :)

I think you've answered your own question.

Information is everything and the amount of information freely available these days means people can go straight into carp fishing.

Who's to say they should not do so, whatever rocks your boat.

Maybe the lack of information "back in the day" was a major factor as to why fewer people started out fishing for carp.

Just a thought.

:wink:

Maybe the lack of information "back in the day" was a major factor as to why fewer people started out fishing for carp.

Information was there years ago, but in the form of books, but I personally believe the main reason that Carp Angling was not so popular back then was availability of waters that contained Carp, don't get me wrong there were plenty, However these water tended to be of a more natural nature, and not dug outs filled with Carp as many commercials' tend to be today.

And as so, these waters generally would have a medium to low stocking density, which makes for harder Angling, where watercraft, bait application and accurate casting were essential for consistent results, before I started Carp Angling I had fished for years without seeing a Carp, let along catching one, until that fateful day when I saw one on the bank, and not caught by me I must add, It was Huge and weighed in at 12lbs! My life changed from that moment to today. 12lbs not a 30 or a 40, that’s changed today I feel, as people seem to be pressured into thinking Big! The media and tackle manufacturers sure have some good marketers!

As for the tackle it was all available back then, pre tied rigs, boilies and so on, you could walk out of a tackle with everything you needed and drive to a lake and set up, but a lot less people did so compared to today, as it was a lot harder to Catch as stated above, Yes if it rocks your boat then do it, however I still think a lot of people are missing out on the thrill of catching or Angling for unnamed Carp that no one is aware of.

Kev that is very clever :wink::D

I love the title of the Thread "Mystery?", it really brings back Childhood memories, and also means that this thread can go in the various directions without going off topic as all are intertwined but separate.

I suppose in a way it is as a Child that we should be having our formulative years, and discovering the Mystery of life and fishing. As a Child we never knew what was going to take our bait next, it was all a mystery, we could guess, but unless the water was a 1 species lake there was the possibility of just about anything. I think it sad that there are very few mysteries in life left in the Fishing World, and so few children to discover them. As Nitronick has proved (and some others) there are some anglers who prove that they can come into an interest, but do so with a genuine passion, whereas many people it is just a numbers game. Again sad that so few younger anglers come into the sport, I don't mean young as in 20+ which is young to some of us :oops: , but young as in child under say, 10years old

There are some "Big Kids", who still enjoy these Mysteries, but on most waters we know what is there.

Like Levi I enjoy the unknown, but I know at times I have an urge to be fishing for fish that are bigger than what I have already caught, but it does get to "automaton" stage. Which unfortunately is why I chose to leave what was one of the best Syndicates I ever joined.

When it gets to the stage that if you see a Carp on the Bank, and "Know it all" comes along and says that fish is "Superscale" and weighs 20lb and 4 oz is very sad for fishing and for the dehumanising the mystery of fishing.

It is a shame that there are so many Commercials in a way, but there are so many Carp Anglers, because of the Publicising of the fishing. It is this publicising that in a way has dehumanised Carp Fishing and destroyed the mystery of Club Lake fishing.

To those lakes that remain unfished, only until I find you :wink: and then let the mystery begin again :wink::lol:

Thanks Uncle Nick :P

I think you have highlighted the difference between people fishing for Carp and Carp Anglers which I believe is different.

The Mystery for me will begin in September when the season opens on the Big pond.

Fancy a sesh Frank :wink:

I think you have highlighted the difference between people fishing for Carp and Carp Anglers which I believe is different.

Sums it up in a nutshell. I wish I'd thought of it! :mrgreen:

I wonder how many of those who begin by "fishing for carp" become "carp anglers" though, bearing in mind thet there is so much more to our sport than simply catching fish.

And what, realistically, are the chances of anyone progressing into carp angling via the "traditional route" which many of us elder statesmen (or old gits :) ) on this forum hold so dear these days? Let's face it, most of the "non-commercial" waters presenting suitable challenges and holding desirable fish are syndicated and it's almost inevitable that even good coarse anglers wanting to catch carp will gravitate towards the commercials.

I guess those anglers with "the bug" will become "carp anglers" and find their way off the commercials in pursuit of what they need, while those who aren't infected will fall by the wayside.

Simply catching an endless stream of carp (even big ones) by just casting into a puddle will become boring for most people eventually. They will then either take up another interest or become a proper "carp angler".

And what, realistically, are the chances of anyone progressing into carp angling via the "traditional route" which many of us elder statesmen (or old gits :) ) on this forum hold so dear these days? Let's face it, most of the "non-commercial" waters presenting suitable challenges and holding desirable fish are syndicated and it's almost inevitable that even good coarse anglers wanting to catch carp will gravitate towards the commercials.

No-one who came up the 'traditional route' ever fished in Her Majestys Park on their cycle bike on a few quiet areas then eh? :wink: No-one ever popped down to past the battered 'No Fishing' sign with a rod in one hand and a tackle box in the other to have go for those chub by the weir? :wink:

Ofcourse, I never did...

No-one who came up the 'traditional route' ever fished in Her Majestys Park on their cycle bike on a few quiet areas then eh? :wink: No-one ever popped down to past the battered 'No Fishing' sign with a rod in one hand and a tackle box in the other to have go for those chub by the weir? :wink:

Ofcourse, I never did...

Must be feeling a bit tired tonight but you've completely lost me.

Because if you started fishing as a kid, then you probably fished everywhere you could get away with it without worrying too much about the consequences (even if there weren't technically that many places to go legally) and naturally progressed onto bigger fish, the 'traditional route' as most would see it to carp fishing.

I just think its more a question of what age you started fishing in the first place, nevermind, i am tired too :?

Ofcourse, I never did...

I did elizabeths my nan :wink:
Because if you started fishing as a kid, then you probably fished everywhere you could get away with it without worrying too much about the consequences (even if there weren't technically that many places to go legally) and naturally progressed onto bigger fish, the 'traditional route' as most would see it to carp fishing.

I just think its more a question of what age you started fishing in the first place, nevermind, i am tired too :?

Got it! :D Thanks very much! :D

I find in some parts of carp fishing its not what you know, its who you know. a lot of unknown waters are syndicate only and are very hard to get on to. i was lucky and was shown the basics from a couple of friends, but if it wasen't for these forums etc... i would still be using leadcore. which i am ashamed of using in the first place. kids need to be shown the basics really, it seems the more commercial carp fishing gets the more danger the carp are in. mainly because they have no idea what they are doing. shame really, but all we can do is try and guide them.

This is a terrific post Kev'. Thanks. And thanks for all the interesting contributions.

As some of you may know, I am quite new to carp angling.

I went into a tackle shop with a wad of cash and bought all the fancy gear. At that point I was someone who was going to “fish for carp”.

At the same time, I bought many books from the superb Mr Walker, the amazing B B, the excellent Mr Yates, to the dreadful, animal killer Hearn - since binned.

Very, very soon I started to develop a philosophy. I was stunned and hugely impressed by the exploits of the trail-blazers, who were active before and after the war. I was also consumed by Redmire Pool and Beechmere Pool.

Almost in a heart beat, I like to think that I became a “carp angler”. Someone who yearns for the mystery you speak of Kev'.

I am still learning the ropes, so I have been out on commercial waters. I need to build up my skills before I can progress. But when I do, I will conduct a passionate search, and probably expend a great deal of money, to find the “Mystery” and “The Secret Lake”. My ambition is to eventually build one myself.

Anyone who has read parts of my blog will understand (I hope) that I am one who would like to turn back the clock, and for the majesty and romance of carp angling to return.

I have also come to the conclusion that there are two types of carp fisher – the sheep, and the thinkers. Happily, the latter group are more successful. But it is dispiriting at times to see people fishing who clearly have no clue of what and especially why they are doing what they are doing.

I have the feeling that there are “secret lakes” out there – but I imagine they are kept secret by the lucky few. And rightly so.

I could go on, but it is my fervent wish that I will become a “carp angler”, and one who truly respects the water, the animals, the fish, and the environs.

Great post Kev'.

S

Hi Steve I can saee where your coming from with most of your post.

As someone who not only has created their own lake but also fishes secret lakes I live the secret and the life that is ANGLING.

However one thing has got me,

to the dreadful, animal killer Hearn - since binned.
care to expand the statement :?:

Frank