there has been alot of talk of this lately in the sea fishing world just wondered what your views on this are?

i havent tried it but there are a lot of mixed views on weather people should bve allowd to use it by spaying it on the hook bait to make a oil slick in the water

surely doing this would posion the fish ??

orwould it all get washed off the bait in the tide depnding on how much was put on in the first place

how times change just seems a bit mad the things people will do to catch fish

some idiots even use this in boilie making :shock:

lol the only thing i use it for is cleaning stuff and getting tight nuts off :D

same here mate just seems mad to me

Thing is it doesn't even seem fishy if that makes sense lol. Doesn't smell attractive or anything and as you say i bet it could be poisionous for the fish.

I was told about it some years ago, never took to much notice ... till one night while i was after some cod the chap next to me was using it dunking his bait in a glug type pot before casting out ... He caught loads that night and the rest of us were struggling !! so next time i went i gave it a bash I used it on 1 of my 2 rods and all the fish i caught were ...yes .... on the WD 40 rod... so i carry some in my box now ... as it is said ...''every little helps''

WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)

* 25%: Liquified petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)

* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)

* 10-%: Inert ingredients

The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

* 60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated

* 1-5%: Carbon dioxide

It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[2]

This month's issue of WIRED lists what is in WD-40 differently than that listed:

* Mineral Oil

* Decane (C10H22)

* Nonane

* Tridecane and Undecane

* Tetradecane

* Dimethyl Naphthalene (C12H12)

* Cyclohexane

* Carbon Dioxide (CO2)

Does that really look like something you want to feed a fish that you care about? If we are to be any kind of fishermen at all. We must be the stewards of what we put into the waters in which we are fishing. And what we are feeding to the fish that inhabit those waters.

WD-40 can be fatal to humans if swallowed. What do you think it will do to a fish?

People who fish with WD-40 should be barbecued in the stuff.