Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
perldog007

Saw a new carp angler created this evening

I was fishing for panfish at a place called Massey's Mill Pond near Smyrna Delaware (U.S.) After getting my first shiner (mill roach) and a bunch of bluegills, decided to offer the carp rolling in the middle of the pond a float bait or two.

Did not have a heavy enough float to cast out far enough and waited in vain for a couple of hours for them to work their way in to me.

Three kids showed up with one gigantic fishing pole and short on tackle. They asked me for a hook, and I gave them a small assortment. The young man could have gotten some lead too, but he used some sockets from a wrench set. Obviously new at the game.

I was trying to explain that bottom fishing does better if he would stop reeling it back in a minute or so after every cast when he got very animated. He had a fish. I could tell from the way it ran it was a carp.

Netted it, put it on my mat and got the hook out. Showed him how to hold it and his friends took a cell phone photo. They were all elated, and didn't even know what kind of fish it was. Weighed in at seven pounds.

He was so happy that I cursed my luck at having a dead battery in my camera. Never saw a kid so happy over a fish.

I told them a little about carp and directed the youngster to this forum and some other sites. Never had the heart to tell him he had snagged it through the pectoral fin.

After getting a few hunks of proper lead from this angler, they left happy as heck over their adventure. The carp was not seriously injured. It was released to fight another day.

Very happy evening even though I was without carp.

They were very nice youngsters and uncharacteristically respectful towards this elder. Did my heart good and I think we won another convert or three to the fraternity of the carp.

Have had the opportunity to help out quite a few starter anglers usually down at my local breakwater due to lack of course fishing here on the Isle of Man but my experiences are very similar to yours.

By making a bit of effort towards assisting and teaching the reward from the elation they have when actually catching a fish is great.

Well done you.