Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
deadlyferret

Users of sugar beet and Trout pellets pellet very important!

Sugarbeet pellets are very dangerous for the health of the fish they swell up so much when wet. I feed these to horses but they must be soaked for a minimum of 24 hours before use or they will kill the horse. THIS IS A FULL GROWN HORSE what do you think it will o to a carp?

Ok if they are in the water for a long time before the carp eats them then no problem but there is no way you can be sure of this. Everybody knows that you have to soak and cook maize before use, sugar beet is just as bad.

Please can the word be spread because i fear alot of people may have read this and thought it would be a good thing to try it is not!

Cheers deadly

they do start to break down in a short time but the shreds still swell for hours. Why will they kill live stock if not properly soaked? they are for horses not for carp!

Do you not think that i would not use them if i thought it was safe as i use tons of them every week. (for horses soaked for 24 hours)

As for breakdown times the shreds breakdown in 12 hours. (theses are still in pellet form) and the pellets in 24 hours. These are the most common forms there is a shredded kind called easy beet that is ready in 15 mins but these are more expensive and not in pellet form.

Now if any of you are still unsure do the cleaver thing and call the company that make the sugarbeet pellets you are or were thinking of using and ask them....The answer will be the same from them as from me.

Just because a certain bait is cheap isnt a valid enough reason to risk the health of fish. People should be gracious enough to listen to other peoples advice. They will swell up after the pellets have broken down, thus, unless they are soaked for at least 24hours, they shouldnt be used and to be honest there are far better baits out there.

There is a lot to be learned from other peoples Experience and Knowledge.

Whilst I'm not trying to upset anybody, I can't help but feel that some are possibly putting fish at risk by giving them any old feed pellet that they can get their hands on.

I am no bait expert by any means and not many of us are, indeed unless you have studied fish as a scientist how can anyone say for sure that there are no long term health risks involved in using these baits.

Some fish have been dying on my new water this year, which could be for many reasons, could this pellet thing be part of it? Who knows.

All I know is that if I was a fishery owner I wouldn't be happy with anyone giving my fish foods that we dont know are safe. I certainly wouldn't dream of feeding my Koi with any old cheap food, and for a fishery owner the feeling must sometimes be the same.

Any literature that confirms these foods to be safe would be greatfully received, I wouldn't complain about saving money.

Trout pellets on there own in excess are a risk to Carp

I know that there was a link put up explaining the Risks of Trout Pellets an Article by Dr. Bruno Broughton, a Fishery Biologist.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/bruno14.htm

I've also found this:

On the Bait side, one of the innovations is the "Trout Pellet" and its many derivatives, developed to provide a High Nutritional Feed containing a balance of nutrients for Captive Bred Trout.

The term pellets is now used to descibe the vast number of types of pellets designed for Salmon, Trout, Halibut and even Carp.

These pellets are designed for the particular fish that they are named after, hence Halibut Pellets for Halibut, Salmon Pellets for Salmon etc...

Over the last few years there has been a large amount of concern and some research on the effects that these pellets have on Carp.

High Oil pellets like Trout, Salmon and Halibut Pellets can have a detrimental effect on the health of Coarse Fish.

It has been shown that an excess of these pellets can cause a damaging effect on the health and Immune systems of Carp and other Coarse Fish. Research suggests that Trout and Coarse fish have major differences in their dietary requirements, and pellets designed for these other fish are not suitable for Carp or Coarse fish if used in large quantities.

Another point to add to this, even if not used in excess; what amount is excess we do not know, that the oil in these pellets can go rancid if stored for too long, this in itself is harmful to Coarse fish.

Trout Pellets: available in sizes from 2-10mm. Designed to be a high nutrition feed for Trout. Protein contents typically above 40%, and an Oil content of above 20%.

Elips Pellets: in sizes from 4-14mm. High Oil content, originally for feeding Reared Salmon.

Marine Halibut/Salmon Pellets: in sizes from 3-22mm. A rich feed designed for Commercial Halibut or Salmon Rearing. The protein content is up to 60%, with Oil contents up to 25%. Inclusion of different types of Fishmeal

Therefore the best advice is to avoid the use of these pellets in Carp Fishing.

Sparsholt College have done some research into High Oil diets and their effects on Carp.

This may be of interest as to how much damage feeding high oil pellets can do:

http://www.newtonangling.com/documents/Are%20we%20killing%20our%20carp2-1.htm