Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
kidda

how can i make pop-ups and hookbaits?

i find that pop-ups in the shops are jus too expensive and i am lookin' for for away to make them. would i be able to make them using a base mix, and do somethin' different to them..........if not how can i do it:confused:

Old thread this, but I thought I'd add something to it and put it up as a Sticky.

Making Hookbaits

It can even pay to create Bottom Bait hookbaits as well as pop-ups. :wink:

Paste wrapped around a cork ball does work for creating pop-ups as Lebigboss has pointed out, however sometimes I get worried that the base mix has come away from the cork, and I'm fishing with a cork as the hookbait, especially when the bait is pierced rather than tied on.

If you want to use the same Base mix for your Pop-ups as your bottom baits then add some lighter ingredients to the base mix. Sodium Caseinate, Shrimp Extract and others work to make pop-ups.

It can be difficult with some Fishmeal mixes as the Fishmeal is a fairly heavy ingredient. I found if you are using Fishmeals then it can pay to split the egg yolk from the white and just mix with egg white instead of whole eggs. Unfortunately I can't tell you what method will work best, but that YOU will have to experiment to get it right for your situation

Work on a 1 egg mix for pop-ups or ordinary hookbaits instead of the usual 4 or 6. With a 1egg mix it can actually pay to add additional flavour (the same amount as your usual 4 egg mix) and/or colour to create your own Over-flavoured/Hi-Attract, high colour baits.

Its not always required though if you are fishing with a Food Bait, and you want your pop-ups to be the same as your bottom baits, in that case just divide your normal levels by 4 or 6 dependant on whether you make 4 or 6 egg mixes. In fact if you colour your hookbaits and are fishing close in its possible to create the hookbait with colour so that you can see the hookbait separate from the freebies.

Also it can pay to increase the amount of, say, GLM Extract or Betaine you add into your pop-ups, or even bottom baits for hookbaits

When you cook them to make the pop-ups it may pay to try to dry pan fry them, instead of boiling. Heat an old frying pan to get it hot, then put in a few of your baits, remember they don't have to be round, pellets shapes, dumbells, squares all work. Then keep them moving round the hot pan.

If you want to have bottom baits of increased buoyancy then it can also be worth mixing some lighter ingredients into your bottom baits as well and boiling as usual.

Also Nutrabaits, Richworth and other Bait companies produce dedicated pop-up mixes, in various colours as well.

Well im new to the forums but the subject caught my eye. Im always interested in peoples ideas about hookbaits as alot of my fishing is on very pressured waters where the fish are very shy of baited areas an a single high quality hookbait is the best way to go.

Ive tried and tested alsorts of pop ups, bottom baits and wafters in different shapes, sizes and colours but recently read an article of Frank Warwicks that really got me thinking.

I used to be a regular in Franks shop before he began appearing in all our fav mags and some of the things he used to do with bait and rigs used to amaze me. In a recent article he talks about making your own wafters or pop ups by using a pop up inside your own bottom bait boilie mix. Matching inner and outer flavours can be used or different ones completely, the combinations are endless!

The pop ups you use for these baits can be soaked in flavours or bulk food oils before you wrap your paste around them an boil, they will leak flavour for a lot longer than any other bait which means they can be left out for longer.

Im guna have a stack of these baits made up very soon, I just know they will score!